How to maintain

Options
Hi, I'm new to the site. I've lost a lot of weight and want to maintain. I've never been able to do that. Any helpful suggestions?

Replies

• SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    maintaining is all about portion control and setting up a routine that you are comfortable with in the long term. Make sure you give yourself enough flexibility to enjoy yourself or else you'll end up wanting things you shouldn't have which can eventually lead to binging.

Keep up with exercise, expect to have good and bad days, and make sure you don't come down too hard on yourself for any one thing. At the same time keep up with your calories (you dont' have to be quite as diligent, but you should still be aware of calories) and continue to eat high quality food that is rich in vitamins, minerals, and good calories (good fats, complex carbs, lean proteins).

I have found that eating healthy every day, then allowing myself the occational bad day is a great way to keep the temptations low, I very rarely have cravings for anything, and when I do, they're usually pretty mild. It's because I allow myself some treats here and there, and maintain a vigorous but still achievable exercise schedule.

ALSO I've found it vital to still have goals. Even if those goals have nothing to do with weight loss, it's important to have something to shoot for. I myself, have a Body Fat % goal and a lean muscle goal. But other goals can be exercise related (like a sub 7 minute mile, or a sub 22 minute 5K or something like that), or nutrition related (like meeting your specific nutrient levels within 2% every day for 2 weeks), or knowledge related (like achieving a nutrition certification). These goals can have end dates or can be open ended, it matters very little, as long as they are achievable.