Fitbit or other Tracking device?

Options
Hi there!

I'm looking to get a tracker device and am wondering, those of you who own one, which one do you use and why? I'm looking at a few different kinds....Fitbit wristband, Jawbone, Polar Loop or Nike FuelBand SE. Or possibly a Withings Pulse? Is anyone familiar with any of these? Postive or negative feedback about them?

I'm am trying to get myself moving more, and I thought it might be a good idea to get some opinions before I invest the money in any particular device. P.S. I am not a runner. I have some physical limitations so really need to find some inventive ways to get moving. I'm not sure if that would make a different in the tracker I should go with, so thought I'd add that tidbit of info.

I appreciate any advice you can give me. Thanks! Hope you all have a great day! :smile:

Replies

• shannonshay1
    shannonshay1 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit one and I really like it. It really helps me to see how much or how little I move in a day.
  • Btrflymeg
    Btrflymeg Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Vivofit and it's excellent.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Had a fitbit zip and it was awesome, but did not track sleep. Just recently purchased a fitbit one and love it!! :smile:
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would stay clear of the Nike fuelband for now. Reports in the tech industry are that Nike has terminated the employees in that group and will be shelving the project.

http://www.ajc.com/news/business/why-did-nike-fire-most-its-nike-fuelband-team/nfdY2/
  • Elizabeth_Darcy
    Elizabeth_Darcy Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have a FitBit Flex and I love it. It helps that I have a constant visual reminder that I need to get up and move around. Plus it syncs to MFP.

I thought I had read something in the news that Nike killed production on the Fuel Band, so that might make your choice a bit easier. :)
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I just purchased the Fitbit One last week and I already love it! My Mom and Daughter bought one at the same time and feel the same about theirs.

As a heads up, if you check Best Buy's website the Fitbit are on sale right now (the One is $87.99). We went to the store to get ours and they matched the price for us (it did not show at the stores) :)

Edited to add: we like how small the One is, and how it recharges instead of requiring battery changes like the Zip (which can get expensive). The One is invisible once it is attached (we wear it on our bra) and we do not even notice it.
  • abaldi0506
    abaldi0506 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I have the BodyMedia Link (which I guess is the Jawbone now). I got it for Christmas and have worn it everyday since. I like how it links to other apps - like RunKeeper (for tracking walking/running/excercise) - and MFP for tracking food. It has it's own food log, but I like MFP better and it syncs up, so that works for me. I think it's a little pricier than fitbit, but from what I've read it's more accurate.
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the tip on the Nike FuelBand! That narrows it down a bit. I haven't heard of the Garmin model. I will have to look into that one also. I like the fact that the Jawbone can be set to vibrate when you've been idle too long. I have a desk job in IT and stare at my computer and sometimes just forget to move for hours! Thanks for the tip about the sale at Best Buy also! Good to know!

Lots of good feedback. Thank you so much! I really need a visual reminder of just how LITTLE I actually move during the weekdays, and hopefully it will help give me the motivation I need to get up and move more!
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    if you don't already do an exercise and just want a reminder to get moving fibit, polar loop or garmin vivo. I like the polar and garmin because they both have HRM option, i'm not sure if the fit bit does or not. I like the garmin because the girl at the running store had one and she and the garmin are pretty. I have the polar loop but don't use it because I run everyday already.
  • iheartred
    iheartred Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I actually have a vibrating alarm set on it to go off every hour so I remember to get up and take a lap around the office. I also wear mine on my bra, I wore my first one in my pants pocket one time and lost it. Even with 6-8 alarms set on weekdays the battery lasts for about 1.5-2 weeks, and then I just charge it when I know I'll be at my desk for an hour (it charges really fast).
  • nsimon24
    nsimon24 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit One and I love it! I actually have a vibrating alarm set on it to go off every hour so I remember to get up and take a lap around the office.

Oohh..great idea on the alarm during the day! I do not have a clock in my bedroom right now, so used the alarm for the first time to wake up for Church at Easter - that little devil is effective!
  • jillianicole2
    jillianicole2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have had my fitbit flex for 2 weeks and love it. You can get other wristband colors as the 'fitbit' is small and fits inside the band. The band is stylish and i cannot feel it on my wrist at all. Very comfortable! I have found it to be very accurate and I like that you can check progress in percentages from your band and set it to sleep mode, and stop a silent alarm, but can get a lot more data on your smart phone. It's sync with myfitnesspal is wonderful and too easy! The social aspect is great for direct motivation and you can set very specific goals for steps, miles, calories burned/day, water, active minutes, and lbs lost and left to lose. I charge it 2x/week and it takes about 10 minutes. Uses a typical USB plug in. You can swim and shower with it. It's awesome!!