belly fat! exercise?

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    This is what I was getting at :) www.brianmac.co.uk/articles/article084.htm

My thread covered that. No need to do hours of core exercises to reduce belly fat. If you do strength training with progressively heavier weight it engages your core in a natural way. I've had two kids (while I was obese) and I managed to get abs with no direct core work. I'm not saying you can't do ab exercises, I'm saying it's possible to have a nice stomach without it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options

5YovKN3.jpg

OK, those are some core exercises....what does that have to do with belly fat, and the nice stomach thread...?

It's pretty much the same PE exercises we all learned as kids, at primary school. We had two hours :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    It's pretty much the same PE exercises we all learned as kids, at primary school. We had two hours :)

So two hours a week of exercises that 10 year olds do is adequate for an adult to magically lose belly fat? No.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1161603-so-you-want-a-nice-stomach
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    okay so i finnaly went from a size 44 to a size 38 jeans, tryed a few on yesterday and omg they fit but i look horrble in them only due to belly fat just on the front basically and i am wondering if there any way to work on that section while working on everything else what exercise could i do daily or 6 days a week to help reduce this section?

atm i work between a elliptical and a treadmill

Damn, where's Vince Delmonte when you need him?
  • DanielleH1213
    DanielleH1213 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You can't technically spot reduce but in the past I have done some type of ab work everyday. I changed it every day but I still made sure it was part of my workout. It helped to tone those muscles which helped change the shape of my mid section.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

5YovKN3.jpg

OK, those are some core exercises....what does that have to do with belly fat, and the nice stomach thread...?

Um...OK.

What does that have to do with belly fat and the nice stomach thread?

You can do 2hrs of those exercises a day, but if you have fat on other parts of your body that your body wants for fuel first....it's going to take from there. The exercises in the article are pretty inefficient for lowering BF%, which is needed to lose belly fat.
  • shapefitter
    Options
    okay so i finnaly went from a size 44 to a size 38 jeans, tryed a few on yesterday and omg they fit but i look horrble in them only due to belly fat just on the front basically and i am wondering if there any way to work on that section while working on everything else what exercise could i do daily or 6 days a week to help reduce this section?

Different strokes for different folks
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    bump
  • usmcmp
    Options

Different strokes for different folks

Yes and no.

Everyone has to have a calorie deficit to lose fat. You can't pick where the fat comes off from.

Everyone can eat in their own manner (paleo, vegan, clean, IIFYM, etc.) and everyone can workout in their own manner (running, lifting, zumba, crossfit, martial arts, etc.).
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I will also say there is a huge misconception out there that exercise will make you lose weight. It's more about control over your diet that will lose the weight. You can go run 3 miles a day, or do 100 push ups and situps but if you're eating 3000 calories you are still going to put on fat. We all need to exercise. Your joints, muscles, heart, all need a good a workout to keep them functioning at the top level but exercise should not be used as your main tool to lose weight. Caloric deficit first and foremost.
  • shapefitter
    Options
    You can't technically spot reduce but in the past I have done some type of ab work everyday. I changed it every day but I still made sure it was part of my workout. It helped to tone those muscles which helped change the shape of my mid section.

:-) I Speak from personal experience as well. Just seems like I didn't have much of a childhood, because we did PE at school Lol In secondary school, we'd go swimming during PE. I even took up extra swimming lessons at this point :)
  • usmcmp
    Options
    I Speak from personal experience as well.

So you have a flat stomach or visible abs?
  • RGv2
    Options
    I Speak from personal experience as well.

So you have a flat stomach or visible abs?

And were able to spot reduce belly fat with core exercises?
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    One weird trick to reduce the appearance of belly fat is to date a blind person
  • shapefitter
    Options
    The answer to all your questions, is yes, yes, and not now, because I'm recovering from years of excessive alcohol consumption, from when I was a student. It totally destroyed my physique.
  • RGv2
    Options
    The answer to all your questions, is yes, yes, and not now, because I'm recovering from years of excessive alcohol consumption, from when I was a student. It totally destroyed my physique.

So, you're saying that spot reduction is indeed real?
  • usmcmp
    Options

So you grew up having a lean stomach until you gained weight in college (and after college) from drinking. That would mean you didn't really need to worry about how to lose belly fat as you were growing because you kept physically active enough to eat the way you did (in other words you naturally maintained a lean physique like many people do before college). Since you are 49 that means you haven't had a flat stomach in about 25 years.
  • shapefitter
    Options

So you grew up having a lean stomach until you gained weight in college (and after college) from drinking. That would mean you didn't really need to worry about how to lose belly fat as you were growing because you kept physically active enough to eat the way you did (in other words you naturally maintained a lean physique like many people do before college). Since you are 49 that means you haven't had a flat stomach in about 25 years.

I was refering to when I was a mature student in 2008 lol

Anyway, this might apply to some women. So, here it is :)

www.livestrong.com/article/360855-exercises-for-the-endomorph-body-type/
  • usmcmp
    Options
    Anyway, this might apply to some women. So, here it is :)

www.livestrong.com/article/360855-exercises-for-the-endomorph-body-type/

Somatotypes is a theory from the 1940's that has been disproven many times over. There are no endomorphs, ectomorphs or mesomorphs. The way our bodies look is directly related to how active we are and how much we eat compared to our activity level.