Saggy lose skin?

Options
Will saggy lose skin ever go away? I don't hardy have it on the belly but I have it on my upper arms, thighs, etc. and pretty much everywhere else..

Replies

• KathyChampi
    KathyChampi Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do about saggy skin. Usually people who have lost a large amount of weight have to have surgery to get rid of saggy skin. Good luck
  • MarisaDLS2
    MarisaDLS2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    From what I have seen on MFP regarding skin's "elastic" properties,
    factors that affect whether or not a person has loose skin after weight loss are.
    1. Age - teens and 20s skin is more elastic, over 35 less so.
    2. Amount of Weight Loss - percentage of weight loss, higher percentage, more loose skin.
    3. Rapidity of Weight Loss - fast weight loss results in looser skin.
    4. Weight Lifting - lifting weights helps provide structure and support for the skin.
    5. General Diet/Smoking/Alcohol/Sun/Meds/Drugs/Sleep - contribute to overall general skin quality.

Once the loose skin is there, I think its very difficult to minimize.

If there are significant "flaps" plastic surgery is a consideration for some.

One of the plastic surgeons I work with
    shows before and after photos of people who had liposuction,
    tummy tucks, flaps removed from arms, thighs.
    (no identifying faces are not shown).
    Scars are an inevitable part of these kinds of surgeries
    but are hidden under clothing.

Many different risks in surgery include but are are not limited to anesthesia complications,
    post surgical risks include infections and poor wound healing.

Most insurance companies will not pay for cosmetic surgery
    so for most people, it's out of pocket cost.
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    No promises that it will go away completely but it can. Generally it diminish over time, particularly with strength training. See the difference strength training made in my bum:
    photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
  • winonavampire
    winonavampire Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I went from 340 down to 200. I had the flappy skin around my arms, belly and chest. Weight lifting has helped with the arms and the chest, but the belly area is still pretty bad. (I am trying to come with terms to it always being like that.)

With that, if your belly is okay and it is just the other areas, I would say hit the weights. Try to imagine filling all that excess skin in with muscles.
  • rassha01
    rassha01 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Of course if you lose skin it will go away.................:drinker:
  • Cheeky_and_Geeky
    Cheeky_and_Geeky Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I have experienced loose skin in many areas & strength training has helped my arms a lot, legs some, & stomach & breasts none at all. I recommend hitting the weights hard & after a year or two your skin should start shrinking. If not, there are basically two options, either accept it or seek a surgeon. Good luck!
  • la_te_ra_lus
    la_te_ra_lus Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    this may not apply to everyone but it certainly worked with me.
    a lot of my loose skin tightened up after a few successfull bulk and cuts.. I would bulk up slowly over the course of a year while lifting a good amount of weighs gaining 10-12 lbs ( roughly 5 lbs of muscle rest fat) then slowly cut the excess fat I had gained... after my 3rd bulk n cut I really noticed my skin really tightening up.

keep well hydrated and take fish oil.
  • jimshine
    jimshine Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I have it. It is slowly going away..but that is the key word, slowly. I have been taking vitamin E and lotioning up once or twice a day. It seems as if the greatest amount of shrinkage occurred when I took a break from losing and went to maintaining for 5 months. But it still was not complete.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I have found if I don't stay hydrated I notice a bit of sag...but as long as I am hydrated it's all good.

Time and patience...if that doesn't work sugery.