Observation that I have a hard time controlling

Options
Hey MFP friends,

I've noticed that Monday's are the day that controls what I do for the rest of the week!!! I try to do my best by preparing Sunday night so that I will be ready for the week... However, if I eat bad Monday or if I miss my workout Monday then the rest of week goes down hill... Why do you think this is??? Or does anyone else have this problem??? If any of you have this problem then what have you done to correct it???

Thanks all
Utefootball2010

Replies

• jazzy020106
    jazzy020106 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    You just have to wake up Tuesday and tell yourself you are not going to let Monday's mistake continue all week! Let Tuesday be your beginning of the week =]
  • So_Um_Yeah
    So_Um_Yeah Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm the kind of person who says "oh I messed up, I'll just start tomorrow" so I understand this problem. It can be hard to convince yourself that one day doesn't make your whole week. I think the only thing you can do is just accept when you slip up, and not use it as an excuse to give up. That's the best advice I can give =)
  • Mindful_Trent
    Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
    Options
    Many people have the mentality (conscious or unconscious) that if they screw up monday, then they might as well scratch the whole week off and restart next week. This is something the people HAVE to get away from. Realize that each day is a new start, and if you don't do well on Monday, then you WILL correct your mistakes and do wonderfully the rest of the week. The same idea applies to each day - some people screw up early in the day, then just pig-out the rest of the day deciding they've already messed up. But if you stop when you first make a mistake and decide that you will change your attitude and make the rest of the day go well, then usually you can do some extra exercise and end up doing quite well for the day as a whole!

Monitor yourself and make sure you're not having these "all or nothing" type thoughts. If you have a bad day, reflect on why you made the choices that you did, and make sure that you're prepared to choose differently when facing similar situations in the future.

Self-awareness is the key.
  • Tasha1476
    Tasha1476 Posts: 220
    Options
    In my opinion it just a mental thing, most people see monday as the start to a new week, and a bad start can make us automatically see it as a "bad week" when in reality it is no different than if you started your week monday and you were perfectly healthy, then tuesday and wednesday healthy also... If you then messed up on thursday, you wouldn't see the whole week as bad, just that you had a bad day.

the only advice I have is learn to think of it one day at a time, not in weekly increments.

that being said, my problem is if I eat one bad meal I throw the whole day away. So I have a similar problem on a smaller scale.
  • hozik
    hozik Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I totally get it. Seems like in life if you get going in a positive spiral it gets better and better, and if you get started on a negative one it gets worse and worse. Trick is reversing the spiral before it drags you down. My doctor told me about a helpful technique called the U turn: For example, if you're traveling on the interstate to go skiing in Park City and miss your exit, would you say "oh no, I guess I'll just keep going on to Provo or Los Angeles..." Of course not, you'd take the next exit and turn around (U Turn) to go to Park City. So when your eating or exercising doesn't go as planned, don't keep going in the wrong direction, take a U Turn and get back on track as soon as possible. Funny when you think of it that way... Hope that helps:smile:
    BTW-I'm of U of U alum- Go Utes!
  • maz123
    maz123 Posts: 63
    Options
    that is so so me. i can have a bad day any day of the week and write it off and start afresh but if that bad day is a monday i cant do it. it is so a mental thing but sometimes ya cant just work past that no matter how hard you try... persistence is the key....hope this monday was good for you! :smile: