It's time to start over. Again.

Options
mghollis
mghollis Posts: 29 Member
Hi. My name is Melinda. I'm a homeschool mother of 2. I've tried WW and MFP in the past without much success. I thought I was okay with being "bigger."

But I'm tired of not finding clothes that either don't fit or don't look cute. I'm tired of hurting all the time and figuring out that my "symptoms" are all weight related.

I love food, but I'm tired of it controlling my life.

I can't afford WW right now. So, I'm back. I'm going to try again.

I'm hoping to maintain a better attitude and motivation this time.

Anyway... time to go fix lunch. Later!

Hugs,
Melinda

Replies

• trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

if you're back... or.. off of the wagon...

then you didn't make changes that were sustainable.

take a look at those tips in the link up there. make sustainable changes. stuff that you can live with. forever.

make the cart much harder to fall off of, and you'll stay on.
  • shandawg5
    Options
    Hi Melinda!

I have certainly been in that boat before... did WW twice, lost a lot, gained it back. I just joined too... in hopes that small lifestyle modifications and a great support network will help!!

Anyone, feel free to add me!

Best wishes on this endeavor, we are in it together!

Shannon
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

if you're back... or.. off of the wagon...

then you didn't make changes that were sustainable.

take a look at those tips in the link up there. make sustainable changes. stuff that you can live with. forever.

make the cart much harder to fall off of, and you'll stay on.

this!!! So much this!!!
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You need a plan that is sustainable. A plan that will go with your life and be something you can do with one had tied behind your back. Here are the things that I have learned from the smart people on MFP. I've lost over 100 pounds in the last 23 months. You can be successful too!

In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh (with a scale)/measure/log your food- every bite/every day.

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. Find something you enjoy and do it consistently.

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation

Meet your calorie deficit, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, carbs)

Have PATIENCE and don't quit.

ETA: Trog is one of the people I listened to. Read his link.
  • mghollis
    Options
    I have made changes. Little ones, that no one notices but me. But I'll state it again. I LOVE FOOD, and when I come to a food that I really love, I eat a lot of it. I am having trouble with self control. But let me go through your list.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    I don't. I give myself about 200+ extra, but I can tell you if I'm eating good foods or junk food.

2. Make sure you eat enough.
    I am. This is not the problem.

3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    Changing my lifestyle.

4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    Yeah, I don't go there. They don't make sense a lot of the time.

5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    Well, I understand this, but I know I SHOULD give up candy and limit my cookies. I'd be better off without them. But I'm going to try just limiting them, instead of cutting them out entirely. The other side of this coin is that I'm still cooking meals for my family. So what I eat, theoretically needs to fit in with their meals.

6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    Have one. I weigh when I'm paying attention. I haven't been paying attention lately.

7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    Not in my budget right now. Maybe in the future, but not right now. I'm linked up between Endomondo and MFP right now.

8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    Yeah, I've BTDT. I'm really trying to focus on overall health rather than "do it all right now!"

9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    Not a problem. I've been fighting shin splints for a year.

10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    That's my mantra through life. I live off salt. (not really, but...)

11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    Diet food doesn't taste good. The hardest part for me right now is that I'm trying to eat less processed foods so I'm getting quite the recipe collection in my foods list.

12. don't set time restrictions.
    Nope. I want to be healthier today than yesterday. I want to be healthier next year than I am this year. I want to move forward, not backwards.

13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    I will try to remember this. I would actually prefer not to weigh, because I get caught up in the number, but I do need to remember to measure.

14 BE PATIENT.
    Yes, sir. :\

15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    Will do.

16. If you ask a question on the forum, give as much information as you can ("yes, I have a food scale and weigh my food" is worlds better than "I eat a palm full of miscellaneous boiled chicken parts..sometimes.")
    17. Be honest with yourself and honest with us.
    Okay, I can do that. I will do that. I'm an open book! :D

18. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.
    I agree. I'm tired of "the game" of diet and weight loss. I'm ready to change my lifestyle. Or at least work on it as much as I can.

Here's what else I can tell you. I'm hypothyroid, but that's not an excuse, just an extra hurdle. I try not to drink soda anymore, but will have one or two a week. I do drink coffee however. Like I said, I'm trying to stay away from processed foods. I like whole eggs, not egg whites. I do have a weakness for fast food. I am not new to MFP, only to the forums and the groups. I am trying to exercise regularly, but I'm only up to about 2 times a week right now. Slowly trying to increase that, since I have perpetual shin splints. I'm 37 years old. I'm a stay at home mom. I homeschool. I have a bachelor's of arts in theater. I'm 225 pounds at last weigh in, and I wear a size 2X in men's shirts.

And I've actually considered going back to school to become a dietician, even though it would be for purely personal reasons.

I know what I need to do. I just need to do it, instead of talking about it. I don't want my weight to control my life, but this current path is not a very healthy one.

So, anything else you need to know about me? Oh, and lunch was very good. Broccoli Cheese soup, but it was only about 140 calories the way we made it.

Alright, back to teaching math.
    Hugs,
    Melinda
  • not_lara_croft
    not_lara_croft Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your weight loss, you can do it so just take one day at a time and if you fall off the wagon just get back on and you will suceed. :flowerforyou:
  • Dozrzz
    Dozrzz Posts: 245
    Options
    Hello! I've created a group called "Make it a habit!" I would love for you to join us there! We will each be setting our own goals for what task we want to make a habit over the next 21 days. Then each person checks in with the group to let us know how its going and so we can hold each other accountable. The focus here is about lifestyle change, not just the number on the scale. Feel free to join us and invite anyone you'd like! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/21099-make-it-a-habit
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I know this is coming late in the day. For years, I have tried to lose weight. For years I have lost weight - only to gain it back. Someone that I respect told me, "When you are ready to lose the weight - you will." I love that person - but was totally convinced that they were full of _________. Well, turns out, they were right.

When I got serious and was ready to put in the work, I started losing. That was 23 months ago. I've lost a little over 100 pounds and have about 40 left. You can do it, too. You just have to be ready. Teaching is a very stressful job (I'm a retired teacher) and even when you love your job, there's stress. Change things slowly. Don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect. Just get up everyday and be ready to do what you need to do. Good luck!
  • mghollis
    Options
    I know this is coming late in the day. For years, I have tried to lose weight. For years I have lost weight - only to gain it back. Someone that I respect told me, "When you are ready to lose the weight - you will." I love that person - but was totally convinced that they were full of _________. Well, turns out, they were right.

When I got serious and was ready to put in the work, I started losing. That was 23 months ago. I've lost a little over 100 pounds and have about 40 left. You can do it, too. You just have to be ready. Teaching is a very stressful job (I'm a retired teacher) and even when you love your job, there's stress. Change things slowly. Don't beat yourself up if you're not perfect. Just get up everyday and be ready to do what you need to do. Good luck!

Thank you. I appreciate it.