Overeaters' Anonymous

Options
Hi-

I'm about 25-30 pounds away from my ideal weight, but I've been struggling with binging for as long as I can remember...I've had waves where I've been fine but lately the smallest things will trigger me. I'm ashamed. I am thinking about attending Overeaters Anonymous and was wondering if anyone could share their experiences with the organization. Thank you.

Replies

• robynw20
    robynw20 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Check out these websites for some OA info
    TRG.org
    Avision4you.info

They are helping me. Also, i'm a beginner in the program and would love a support buddy. Feel free to friend me.
  • buckleten
    buckleten Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am exactly the same! I will friend both of you :-)
  • 111YoYo111
    111YoYo111 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    There was an OA group starting up here recently and planning a step study but I haven't heard anymore about it.
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    I went to one meeting of OA very early last year and it just wasn't for me. For one thing, it was very churchy (even though they say 'a power as you understand it' or whatever), and I don't know, I guess I'm just too much of an introvert to be comfortable talking about myself in front of everyone and holding hands and all that.

I walked out of there feeling like I needed a shower and never went back. I do fine on my own.
  • eddie8131
    eddie8131 Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I was in OA several years ago and while I did not stay for more than a couple years, I found it to be very beneficial for my binge eating. I did not get a sponsor but by attending the meetings, having face to face contact with others who are going through the same thing and reading the literature really helped me. It's great if you are a person who isolates as I do. Plus the cool thing is you don't have to say a word if you don't want to. Just go for it, www.Oa.org shows all the meetings near you. I hope you find it as beneficial as I did.
  • kbshannon
    kbshannon Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    12 step is not for me. But that is just me. I can't and won't do the whole "I am powerless" thing.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I attended an OA group for several months a some years ago. They moved to a different location and I didn't follow them to the new one. It is based on the 12-step program that is followed by AA and a different step was the focus for each meeting. The group I attended had a lot of old-time members who worked on other challenges besides eating disorders. Some didn't eat enough. Some had emotional problems they were trying to work through ... so it was not strictly an overeaters group any longer ... but the 12-step program was applicable.

I did learn some things about myself and my eating habits that, in the end, did help me to modify my eating habits. I actually discovered that I had trigger emotions and also trigger foods that could set me off on a binge. That is still true, to a certain extent, today, but I am much better able to manage it. That, I believe, was a direct outgrowth of attempting to follow the steps. Therefore, it helped me.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    kbshannon wrote: »
    12 step is not for me. But that is just me. I can't and won't do the whole "I am powerless" thing.
    It's not that you are wholly powerless, just that you are powerless over the intake of food and that you need help. be it a higher power in God form or a group conscious that you attend.
    There are plenty of things you do have power over
    Once the physical and mental obsession has been been quieted then one has the power to make a choice. They were powerless, not anymore. It's an admission one was dependent, nothing more than that.
  • mbaker566
    Options
  • 111grace
    111grace Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Hi all :) I did not know there was such a thing as overeaters anonymous, always thought there should be one, going to go look it up.

For me personally overeating ( which ignorance is not bliss!! there is like 500 calories in one small choc- nuts packet!! thats over a 3rd of what I am allocated to eat just to maintain, let alone whats necessary to loose weight!!) & watching movies was a way to de-stress, unwind & relax.

I realized for myself eating was just a form of false comfort. It was a symptom for a deeper problem. Once I started to deal with those issues & let go, the outside steps was easier to handle. Little by little a change began & is still happening :)
  • mbaker566
    Options
    congratualtions @111grace for finding out you need to change your relationship with food.
    While I am a 12 step proponent, I believe there are other non12 step programs/support groups out there. Or if you would like, consider a therapist to talk about those deeper problems :smile: