Opinions on how to log this??

Options
Okay so I've been "enlightened" that I need to weigh everything...even pre-packaged stuff. So, how do I enter it if it's pre-packaged and the weight it comes in at is different than the weight on the packaging. For example. Nature Valley Blueberry Breakfast biscuit bars. They're weighing 2 oz., but the packaging and NI is based on 1.77oz. How do I enter it?

Replies

• Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could create your foods with the correct weight amount.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I suck at math - but if my calculations are right it is 1.23 servings.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    you divide the actual weight by the weight indicated

2/1.77=1.13 and log that 1.13 in the quantity.

ETA: it is unfortunate companies can't be correct but it is what it is.
  • Supergirl9801
    Options

Thank you and yes it is! Another question though....Is it better to weigh foods before or after you cook them, and why?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Take the actual weight and divide by the serving size. 2 / 1.77 = 1.129 so put it in as 1.3 servings.
    Okay so I've been "enlightened" that I need to weigh everything...even pre-packaged stuff. So, how do I enter it if it's pre-packaged and the weight it comes in at is different than the weight on the packaging. For example. Nature Valley Blueberry Breakfast biscuit bars. They're weighing 2 oz., but the packaging and NI is based on 1.77oz. How do I enter it?
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    Take the actual weight and divide by the serving size. 2 / 1.77 = 1.129 so put it in as 1.3 servings.

No...the 9 rounds up the 2 to 3...so it's 1.13
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Before cooking. The water content may change with cooking but that doesn't affect the calories. I stole this from another post because it makes the most sense to me: the calorie count doesn't change - just the water content, as it boils off during cooking when you grill (which is why boiled chicken weighs the same as it did before). Make sure you use the appropriate category (raw/grilled) when logging the calories so you don't get "overcharged" when logging your calories
  • SezxyStef
    Options

Thank you and yes it is! Another question though....Is it better to weigh foods before or after you cook them, and why?

Most say precooked but if you cook for more than just one it is impossible to do that. I log post cooking but the entries I use reflect that (I cook for my son and husband and 4oz raw burgers get really small when cooked...)

I look for the cooking method for the meat such as roasted, grilled, pan fried etc. For Pasta/rice/veggies again I looked for the cooked version in the database...
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Most of the time use the raw info. Such as if I make spaghetti, I do separate out a 3 oz (dry) portion for myself and use a separate pot. Just easier that way. Pasta is a good example because the weight cooked will depend on how well you drain it, as it absorbs extra water weight.

If you are making a dish and you calculate the total calories, then you can also weigh the finished product. Say the whole dish of my famous chicken salsa is 600 calories and the finished product weighs 2000 grams. I'm totally making up #s here by the way. You can enter the recipe as 1 entire serving of 2000 grams. Then if you take 200 grams for yourself, 200/2000 is 10% so you'd log .1 serving for yourself.
  • Xingy01
    Xingy01 Posts: 83 Member
    Options

It wouldn't matter much except in meats that have a lot of fat or water and will shrink considerably. In those cases, the calories you'll find online are usually based on pre-cooked weight. And there's no real way to determine exactly how many calories a particular steak has for example. Some steaks will have more fat content than others. Some chicken has more water content than others. It's impossible to get exact calorie counts for many things.

It's easier to just change your calorie goal than to obsess over exact calorie counts in every food. If you're not losing weight, then lower your calorie goal. In general, calorie counts on packaged foods are off by about 10%. If you'd rather just add 10% to everything you eat, then do that.
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options

If you are making a dish and you calculate the total calories, then you can also weigh the finished product. Say the whole dish of my famous chicken salsa is 600 calories and the finished product weighs 2000 grams. I'm totally making up #s here by the way. You can enter the recipe as 1 entire serving of 2000 grams. Then if you take 200 grams for yourself, 200/2000 is 10% so you'd log .1 serving for yourself.

I do this. Sounds like a PITA but it's not that difficult.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

I do this. Sounds like a PITA but it's not that difficult.

I do this too with my Penna greek pasta dish..

Put the dish on the scale zero it out, add in cooked penne, tomoatoes, basil, feta cheese, olives and layer of mozza cheese and get the total weight, use the recipe builder and put the total weight in grams (which can change depending on the day I make it but it's easy enough to change) (last time it was 1487 grams, and make it 100g servings.