Cleanses???

Options
I need advice. I am going to start eating as healthy as possible- NO processed foods and was considering doing a cleanse to get all of the junk out of my system. Good or bad idea? If you have done a cleanse, which one did you try and what were the results?

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    There's absolutely no need, provided you have functioning kidneys and a liver.

If "no" on kidney's, then dialysis.
  • snwolinski
    snwolinski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have done few cleanses. Although it may not be "necessary" or even as healthy as just eating unprocessed foods, I definitely do it every so often just to kick start my healthy habits. I have done juice cleanses for just 1-2 days and most recently Isagenix. I wasn't sure about them at first, and even though I feel Isagenix is a little high in sugar, for me it is convienent and I never felt better than the month I was on it. It really helped give me the energy to get back to working out and back on track. I fell off the wagon recently on vacation and I just started another cleanse today.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Unless you've been advised by a doctor to do this, there is no need. It's unlikely to hurt you, but it's unlikely to help you either. A properly functioning body doesn't store 'junk' that can be eliminated by drinking juice or shakes for a couple of days.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Your digestive tract along with your liver will rid your body of all the junk out of your system. If it's not, you'll know and you'll soon be under the knife for various disgestive tract surgeries or you'll be hooked up to a dialysis machine.

No cleanse needed.

There are no bogeyman toxins that fruit juice or some other concoction will magically erase from your body. Please don't fall into this dieting/lifestyle myth trap.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    your body cleanses itself.
  • LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Ugh...this again?!?!?!

If you use the "Search" function, you will see the MANY threads that have discussed this silliness.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    Just start eating super clean and your body will do all the hard work. You do not need to drink strange concoctions and be hungry.
  • rachaelbmh
    Options
    I just weighed in on this over in this thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1255222-to-cleanse-or-not-to-cleanse-that-is-the-question?

I hope it helps!
  • mrsmarit
    mrsmarit Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have done few cleanses. Although it may not be "necessary" or even as healthy as just eating unprocessed foods, I definitely do it every so often just to kick start my healthy habits. I have done juice cleanses for just 1-2 days and most recently Isagenix. I wasn't sure about them at first, and even though I feel Isagenix is a little high in sugar, for me it is convienent and I never felt better than the month I was on it. It really helped give me the energy to get back to working out and back on track. I fell off the wagon recently on vacation and I just started another cleanse today.

If they work so well why do you need to keep jump starting healthy eating?

Cleanses make no sense, just eat sensibly and at a deficit.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Nobody needs to "cleanse". Pooping and peeing takes care of that for you. Those selling a "cleanse" or "detox" program are making money off the public ignorance, that's all.
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Cleanses are worthless for anything but removing money from your wallet.
  • Billywalker1973
    Options
    Nobody needs to "cleanse". Pooping and peeing takes care of that for you. Those selling a "cleanse" or "detox" program are making money off the public ignorance, that's all.
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    Ugh...this again?!?!?!

If you use the "Search" function, you will see the MANY threads that have discussed this silliness.
    It is okay to post this question, even if it's already been asked before. The forum questions on all topics are repeatedly asked.

"Cleanse" ends up being a non-specific term; people have different things in mind when they say "cleanse." What system do you want to target? Is your digestion or elimination slow? Or do you have in mind your lymphatic system?

In my experience, cleanses are great, but only if you don't mind following the regimen. My idea of a cleanse is one that gives my digestive system a break. For example, I might make a green juice for breakfast, but then eat a regular lunch and dinner. Other cleanses I've seen (but not tried) look expensive, harsh and hard to follow. When it comes to regimens, you might want to just use MFP's regimen. Over time, you will learn better habits and feel better generally.

Have you input all your data to MFP?
  • MinMin97
    Options
    DetoxGraph_zps6af67182.png
    Disagree.
    The digestive organs can be functioning, but not very efficiently.
    Your digestive organs are not all-or-nothing:
    Under the title "Effects on the Gastrointestinal System" in the article:
    "The liver manufactures about 1 quart a day of bile to meet digestive requirements. It is secreted into the small intestine, where it emulsifies fats and fat-soluble vitamins and improves their absorption. Any interference with healthy bile flow can create a myriad of immediate digestive disorders, such as bloating." http://www.lef.org/protocols/gastrointestinal/digestive_disorders_05.htm?source=search&key=artichoke
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL awesome!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Disagree.
    "The liver manufactures about 1 quart a day of bile to meet digestive requirements. It is secreted into the small intestine, where it emulsifies fats and fat-soluble vitamins and improves their absorption. Any interference with healthy bile flow can create a myriad of immediate digestive disorders, such as bloating." http://www.lef.org/protocols/gastrointestinal/digestive_disorders_05.htm?source=search&key=artichoke
    name one toxin that your body is not naturally getting rid of that a cleanse will? Just one….
  • MinMin97
    Options
    Disagree.
    name one toxin that your body is not naturally getting rid of that a cleanse will? Just one….
    How about if YOU do that, since you are saying there are toxins the body is getting rid of....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options

LOL awesome!

Thanks! Made it myself. :blushing:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Disagree.
    How about if YOU do that, since you are saying there are toxins the body is getting rid of....

I'll name two. Feces and urine.

Your turn.