Stupid Food Question...Idk

Options
Okay when making something at home....like salsa and you combine a whole can of beans..corn....rotel....some onion and a pepper. But you only eat 1/2 a cup how would you get the calories for that half of a cup? I have and idea on how you would but i thought i would just go ahead a be the idiot on mfp today and ask! :) Cause i'm not sure if i'm correct.

Thanks for all your help you smart people!:happy:

Replies

• JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    Enter the recipe on your Recipe Maker - figure out how many servings you have there. Measure out how many cups (if you are using a cup as your serving.) THen you can just add it to your diary each time you have a serving.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    Under the food tab, go to recipes and enter all the ingredients and how many total servings the recipe makes. Then just log one serving.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    My suggestion would be to build the recipe first than take a serving out of it. Otherwise you are doing a lot of work trying to come up with the fractions each ingredient amounts to.
  • laurawiggs74
    laurawiggs74 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    enter it under recipes! i have a few things i make on a regular basis, and it's so easy to just click that and select your portion size. the app does the math for you. :)
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    okay see what I was thinking was completely wrong!!! I knew you were all smart! Thanks everyone!!!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    okay see what I was thinking was completely wrong!!! I knew you were all smart! Thanks everyone!!!

You probably weren't completely wrong but the recipe builder is super handy and not a lot of people seem to know it exists so it is always good to ask! :flowerforyou:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I don't use the recipeie builder- I probably should LOL
    I typically just add whole things - then save it as "a meal"- then add a fraction of that. works okay.

The recipie builder would be better- but I feel overwhelmed when I get into it LOL
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It may be fussy for some, but I either weigh the whole thing or use an online recipe calculator that also calculates weight of the whole recipe, and enter the number of grams as the number of servings (or ounces if you use ounces) then just measure out any serving I want and enter that number as the number of servings I'm having. It's fussier, but it makes me not restrict myself to a certain serving amount or when the meal is a bit more challenging to estimate servings like stew.

Example: Before I make strew, I weight the pot and write that down for reference. Let's say it weighs 1000 g. I cook the stew, once it' been cooked I weigh the pot with the content, let's say it weighs 4 kg (4000 g). This food alone is 4000-1000 = 3000

Now I go to the recipe calculator, enter all the ingredients, and set the number of servings to 3000. When I eat, I measure out whatever I think I want to eat, let's say 500 g. I just enter in my diary that I consumed 500 servings of that stew.

Fussy at first, but if I make a recipe often it's just a one time deal for a much more flexible way of eating.
  • lmmathis86
    lmmathis86 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    It may be fussy for some, but I either weigh the whole thing or use an online recipe calculator that also calculates weight of the whole recipe, and enter the number of grams as the number of servings (or ounces if you use ounces) then just measure out any serving I want and enter that number as the number of servings I'm having. It's fussier, but it makes me not restrict myself to a certain serving amount or when the meal is a bit more challenging to estimate servings like stew.

Example: Before I make strew, I weight the pot and write that down for reference. Let's say it weighs 1000 g. I cook the stew, once it' been cooked I weigh the pot with the content, let's say it weighs 4 kg (4000 g). This food alone is 4000-1000 = 3000

Now I go to the recipe calculator, enter all the ingredients, and set the number of servings to 3000. When I eat, I measure out whatever I think I want to eat, let's say 500 g. I just enter in my diary that I consumed 500 servings of that stew.

Fussy at first, but if I make a recipe often it's just a one time deal for a much more flexible way of eating.
    Hey thats smart! May have to try that when i make stew or chili!