EAT OR NOT EAT BEFORE A WORKOUT ??

Options

Replies

• kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    I have a slice of Wheat Toast with PB. Workout starts at 0630 AM.
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I have a small snack or else I get a headache and fatigued while working out.
  • Kekibird
    Kekibird Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    A personal choice. I'll eat 2 hours before working out and I keep it light. Too much in my tummy and I don't perform as well and end up with heartburn.

And if it's an early run, I run on empty.
  • Lara883
    Lara883 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all responses !!
    I ask because i started doing some workouts at home basically 30minute ones with weights, 30ds ,interval...I was fine but i started insanity 3 days ago and i do it early mornin then even if i eat a lot after i feel very tired & lazy the whole day
    My cals are @ 1600 and i do eat my cals back and im 5'1 ,175lbs

Edited to say that i do have my mornin coffee before that
  • kilsafari
    kilsafari Posts: 61
    Options
    I usually run early in the morning without eating and then have breakfast about an hour later.
  • Lara883
    Options
    Thanks for all responses !!
    I ask because i started doing some workouts at home basically 30minute ones with weights, 30ds ,interval...I was fine but i started insanity 3 days ago and i do it early mornin then even if i eat a lot after i feel very tired & lazy the whole day
    My cals are @ 1600 and i do eat my cals back and im 5'1 ,175lbs

Edited to say that i do have my mornin coffee before that
    Edited by Lara883 On April 23, 2014 3:12 PM
  • Lara883
    Options
    Bump
  • Lara883
    Options
    But i still would like to know if this has happened to anyone , is it common ?
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i do what ever i feel like if iam hungry ill eat 1 hr b4 my workout if iam hungry after it ill eat again
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Whether it makes a difference or not, I can't eat before working out, personally.
  • mackemom
    mackemom Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I have a cup of coffee with coconut vanilla creamer about an hour before, just to wake up!! ;)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Not eating burns more fat but EATING BEFORE burns more fat during the next few hours after your workout.

Um, no. Nice broscience though...

As MrM27 said, it's personal preference.

It's not broscience per se. There is research to support that statement (at least to support an increased EPOC following a fed workout). However, the research is limited and, as best I can remember, the results have not been replicated in other studies. Then there is the whole question of how meaningful "afterburn" studies are in general.

So, no broscience, but also not nearly enough evidence to make such a definitive statement.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out on an empty stomach.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Personal preference?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Depends on which allows you to better reach your goals.

I prefer to eat before I workout. Without some carbs I quickly run out of energy.

Others prefer to workout fasted and that's fine too.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest that you experiment a bit. You may be able to find some information regarding your specific workout online and what is best to do for it, but ultimately, there's some conflicting information and what most people do may not work for you. Just try out some different options and see what works best. Eat and drink enough before to fuel your workout and after to replenish your energy. The types and quantities of foods can vary depending on your workout and your body.
  • Lara883
    Options
    Thanks !
    I will try eating an hour before and see how it goes ,
  • eslcity
    eslcity Posts: 323 Member
    Options