I think I hate my job

Options
So I was a stay at home mom for 3 years and loved it. For some reason last June I went back to the work force and I hate it. I dont get time to exercise. I miss all my favorite gym classes. Plus I still do everything like when I didn't work. I cook, clean, I'm wife, mom, nurse, driver, etc, etc. Where I work is a health care insurance but if you stopped by you'd never believe it. Everyone 95% are over weight and smokers. I've been proactive with a few walking groups and such but little to no luck. I'm just starting to feel depressed as soon as I arrive. Yes I am looking for new work ASAP but its hard. Guess I just needed to vent - Thanks for listening. 2 years on this weight loss road 50 lbs down. Size 24 W to 14 regular. Come on size 8 !!!

Replies

• SnowWhiteFanatic
    SnowWhiteFanatic Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! That is fantastic. Been there done that with my old job. I quit and found something new and my world changed! Good luck to you!!!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! That is fantastic. Been there done that with my old job. I quit and found something new and my world changed! Good luck to you!!!

I agree...work environments can be kind of toxic! Good for you, OP, for seeking something else. I truly hope you find a different job that is a better fit for you!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you. While I'm not in health insurance, a number of people here, the overwhleming majority, are at least overweight, most obese. Many heavy smokers. I don't care so much about that as I care about the boredom. I am not able to keep unhealthy snacks in my drawer (not even things like rice cakes) as I will undoubtedly consume way too many out of pure boredom. AHHHHHHHH
  • MrsPong
    MrsPong Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congrats on you weight loss! I stayed home for 3 yrs. Couldn't WAIT to work...ya I don't know why I went out and started. I also work in health care, home health care. I was pretty tiny when I started. Gained a lot my first year because of the stress and lack of time. I work 40-50 hrs in office. 10-20 or more out of office on-call. So I never worked out.

After the 1st year I began to hate it, despise it, I actually became ill and lost 35 lbs. I'm still sick- I actually have a stomach ulcer I'm trying to "heal" but it takes me out of the office a lot, in which I am now getting grief for. I get upset just mentioning my job to anyone and how horrible it makes me feel. It's toxic in that form- the weight everyone is okay I guess, sometimes chocolate or baked goods.
    Its really hard for me to get a new job bc I'm married to an Active Duty Military man and we have a year left here (it was 9 months in which I thought I could handle).... I wish you the best.

Add if you like.
  • SpeedRacer13
    SpeedRacer13 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!

My issue is the opposite! Everyone here is SO active, in shape and thin....i am sick of hearing heart rates, how many miles they run...I get bored easily at work and tend to snack more. I also agree ... there is not enough time in the day to get in as much work out time as I'd like.
  • kristenveganvixen
    kristenveganvixen Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    :( You have my sympathy, horrible situation and I hope a better job turns up for you soon.

If you used to enjoy classes, maybe DVD's or a Wii Fit could be a good option for you in the meantime, you could maybe get the kids to join in and do exercises with you too? I remember doing Green Goddess and Mr Motivator videos with my mum as a kid lol
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I have been home for nearly two years and I feel so much healthier mentally and emotionally... my job was sucking the life out of me. I've been SO grateful to be able to be there so much for my daughter, who is 12 and has some special needs (autism). She is in mainstream classes and very, very smart, but the seventh grade sudden increase in homework and material has just been slamming her... she is managing to get good grades but it's been a struggle. If I had not been there after school to supervise and support her, I shudder to think what would have happened. And it's only going to get worse from here. Also, we live only a half mile from the school, so I can get there in a shot if necessary. And my availability has made it much easier for her to participate in the after-school clubs and other activities. The school is close enough so that when weather allows. In a lot of ways I feel that I'm being able to make up a bit for all of the years I had to have my daughter in day care (since she was seven weeks old) while I worked. I will always feel terribly, terribly guilty for missing so much of her formative years, I feel like other people basically raised her. :frown:

Unfortunately, financial circumstances are forcing me to start looking around again. It is breaking my heart, but we pretty much have no choice. Over almost nine years at my last job, I gained about 40 pounds (and was already big to begin with.) I am so afraid that now that I'm finally on track, the stress of going back to work at a job I didn't want and am not suited for, and balancing her needs, is going to drive me batty. I also suffer from depression and that has lifted considerably these last two years. I won't be able to work out as much, either, and I'm so afraid that I'm going to pile the weight back on. I know I should have more faith in myself, but my track record is NOT good on this. :sad:
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. Remain positive. Start planing now for when you get your job. I'm creating a plan right now to get more activity in and focus less on this place i call work. Wishing you the best.
  • mzco14
    mzco14 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I did layaway a Wi Fit... I'm hoping that will help get me going and take my mind of things. Great suggestion!
  • steve2kay
    steve2kay Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I read this somewhere and it keeps coming back to me
    "oh, you hate your job? there's a support group for that - it's called 'everyone' and they meet in the Pub"

I guess bearing in mind where we are, you could substitute "Pub" for "Gym".

I actually quite enjoy my job, the really good 40% makes the rubbish 60% more bearable. Maybe you could find a job in a field you like? do the same work but do it in a company related to something you enjoy - I appreciate it isn't this is easy. good luck.
  • cholepapi
    cholepapi Posts: 79
    Options
    ...I had a job in which I worked during the week, brought my work home on evenings and weekends..........I had no time for anything.......I was suffocating........I left it too......so great job in knowing what is making you miserable and best of luck in finding a job that is more healthy for you:D
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Quit.