I can't eat breakfast

Options
I seriously can't eat breakfast, I am NEVER hungry until lunch time. I know I need to eat, but just thinking about eating breakfast makes me nauseous...
I bought whole wheat english muffins, nutrigrain waffles, egg beaters, oatmeal..but I can't force myself to eat any of it.

Any suggestions?
I take my multivitamin and B12 in the morning with a sip of water. That's about all I can handle.

I've never been a breakfast person though....so do I REALLY need to eat in the morning? any suggestions?

Replies

• ShellyKay67
    ShellyKay67 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I could NEVER eat breakfast in the morning for years.....
    BUT I can't go without it now. And YES, I think it's a must to eat breakfast. It gets your metabolism going for the day.
    I think if you can "force" yourself for just a little while to eat breakfast, you will find that your body actually wants it! I have become a breakfast eater!! yeah!!! lol
    Hopefully you can change the way you feel about breakfast....it's so important!!!
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    stop saying you can't and just eat something even if it just a nutrition bar or drink. Saying you can't do something just a cop out that you don't want to.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    I was also the EXACT same way!

Most week days I Just have a serving of special k, or maybe a banana or yogurt. It REALLY does get your metabolism going, and jump starts better eating habits all day :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I was at my thinnest weight when I didn't eat breakfast. A lot of people don't eat breakfast and manage to lose weight and maintain the loss just fine.

I say if you're not hungry, don't eat.
  • darcibean
    Options
    stop saying you can't and just eat something even if it just a nutrition bar or drink. Saying you can't do something just a cop out that you don't want to.

It's not that I don't want to at all....I feel like I am going to throw up when I fix something...I'm looking for help here
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    yes you need to eat breakfast. it doesnt need to be much if you're one of those people that have a hard time eating a breakfast. but a piece of your favorite fruit, a small breakfast bar, something. it jump starts your metabolism for the day. while some people will tell you that you HAVE to eat at least 300 calories for breakfast, dont listen to them. you're not there yet, someday you might be, which would be great for your weight loss but at the moment you're not, so take it slow and start out small. but yes, you need to eat something in the morning. good luck with your breakfast problems! i hope this helps! :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

It's not that I don't want to at all....I feel like I am going to throw up when I fix something...I'm looking for help here

(Sorry for posting again so soon, but ...)

I know exactly what you're talking about. I used to feel that way, too.

I repeat that if you're not hungry (or you feel sick), just don't eat. As long as you're eating healthy and not going over your calories, it really won't hurt you.
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Suck it up ButterCup.
    Eat breakfast and like it! Damn it!
    I'm kidding - kind of.
    You'll get use to eat. You don't have to eat right after you wake up. I usually eat 2+ hours after I get up on week days.
    I don't like exercising.
    I do it anyways.
  • manda814
    Options
    i am the same way. my trainer suggest making hard boiled eggs for yourself ahead of the time and then only eating the white. its something small enough not to bother you and its good for you.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    the idea is this: Eat breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince and dinner like a pauper. its the idea that in the morning we have all day to burn those cals we take in during the day, but at night we are sedintary (sp?) so the earlier on you eat, the better. I had the same problem and slowly but surely i made myself eat a little bit at a time in the morning. (being an example to my kids). Now its not a problem. try and stay away from carbs. thats what hurt my stomach. and i have discovered that what all research and nutritionist say is true....breakfast is the most important meal of the day!
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same way at breakfast time. I started out with just trying to drink something nutritious... a glass of milk, a smoothie, or some Carnation Instant breakfast, and take a vitamin. I have never really been into breakfast food and so it helps me too to not try to stay in the rut of typical breakfast foods. I lived on peanut butter sandwiches and grilled cheese sandwiches for breakfast in high school. These days, if I don't want breakfast food I will still make a pb sandwich or eat some cheese and fruit. I also have noticed that I have to stay in the habit of eating breakfast... if I stay in the habit I am hungry and can eat at breakfast time. If I don't, it gets harder again. I don't know if this affects you, but I have a lot of allergy/sinus problems and that really affects whether or not I am hungry for breakfast too. If I wake up not feeling well in general then I don't really want to add food to the mix. :) I do think it is important to eat breakfast in the mornings... but I know it can be tough too.
  • kimmathews1
    Options
    I suggest eating an apple on the way into work, it really helps me get something in my system without having to think too hard about it. Plus, I never have time in the morning to make an actual sit-down breakfast. An apple is better than nothing :)
  • Ahzuri
    Ahzuri Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Was the same way here for a very long time, I would feel ill for hours if I ate breakfast. I'm not sure what changed but I can now eat breakfast without feeling ill. I usually eat a bowl of cereal with soy milk but today was homemade bacon, eggs and french toast courtesy of my husband and I'm still feeling fine. I used to not eat until I got home after work at 3:30pm!
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm with kim on this. I'm not always hungry in the morning, plus when I do eat breakfast, I'm hungry the rest of the day and end up going over on my calories. I keep it small and easy to digest so I don't get that empty stomach feeling so bad a few hours after breakfast.
  • BigGail
    BigGail Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Smoothie!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    There are many studies that show the importance of breakfast, especially for long term weight loss. For example,
    http://www.diet-blog.com/08/big_breakfast_diet_a_diet_that_works.php

If you are not hungry in the morning after 10 or so hours of fasting, that's not a great sign for your metabolism. Start off with just 5 or so almonds or a small fruit. If you never get any hungrier just keep it that way, at least your body got something. Exercising in the am is also great for kicking things off
  • k8ieP
    k8ieP Posts: 54
    Options
    Instant breakfast shakes are the way to go. Lots of vitamins, light on the stomach, and fast. I drank the slim fast ones for a while but now I like to eat large breakfasts.
    Also, I totally agree that meals should decrease in size throughout the day. Lunch is often my largest though...oops. Dinner is usually very small for me. Maybe that is how I can eat more in the morning.
    Also, you should not take B vitamins on an empty stomach. This may be one of the reasons for your nausea. If you can't eat breakfast take them after lunch to get an energy boost for the afternoon when we tend to want to sleep...
    Good luck!
  • Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    I know exactly where you are coming from, I feel really sick if I eat too early. I know its against the recommended advice, but I skip breakfast and have my lunch at 12, teatime snack at 4 and evening meal at around 7pm. I've still lost the weight fairly consistantly at around a lb a week so its worked for me.
  • darcibean
    Options
    Thanks for all the help everyone!! I am a stay at home mom, so I think I might just share an apple or banana with my 2 year old for a start! I am going to look at carnation instant breakfast when I go to the store, but I thought it was pretty high in calories?