Recipes for weekend preppers?

Options
JessG11
JessG11 Posts: 345 Member
I am super busy and rarely have time during the week to come home and cook and eat by a decent time of night. I typically spend a few hours on the weekend planning and prepping/cooking everything I can so we can just re-heat during the week and have a good, balanced meal.

I have some favorites and go-to recipes but would love any recipes that you may make that would either freeze well, or be sustainable throughout the week. There are only two of us but we have no issue, obviously, with left overs!

Thanks!

Replies

• corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    things I make a pre portion for lunches
    chili
    a mexican casserole
    jambalya
    enchiladas
    burritos
    lasagna
    maybe make 2 sauces and a thing of pasta for variety
    stir fry
    curry

I'm a vegetarian so I subtract the meat from all of those things, but they are all easy. If you have a croc pot, look up croc pot recipes. That way it can cook while you do other things on your day off.

I also make crustless mini personal quiches using a muffin tin so I have breakfast every day.
  • ggbun
    ggbun Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am currently loving a recipe book called "Twenty Dollar, Twenty Minute Meals" by Caroline Wright. Not particularly low-fat, low-cal, and not for people who don't like their vegetables, but it has become a lifesaver for me during the week. Got mine as an ebook from my local library.
  • JessG11
    Options
    chili
    a mexican casserole
    jambalya
    enchiladas
    burritos
    lasagna
    stir fry
    curry

I'm a vegetarian so I subtract the meat from all of those things, but they are all easy. If you have a croc pot, look up croc pot recipes. That way it can cook while you do other things on your day off.

I also make crustless mini personal quiches using a muffin tin so I have breakfast every day.

How many days have you found your rice and pasta stays good without drying out?
  • JessG11
    Options
    I am currently loving a recipe book called "Twenty Dollar, Twenty Minute Meals" by Caroline Wright. Not particularly low-fat, low-cal, and not for people who don't like their vegetables, but it has become a lifesaver for me during the week. Got mine as an ebook from my local library.

I'll check it out. I do try to balance our dinners with a certain number of veggies/lean proteins and starches. I roast a TON of veggies! But always on the lookout for new stuff. I may be able to make something in there fit! Thanks!
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    chili
    a mexican casserole
    jambalya
    enchiladas
    burritos
    lasagna
    stir fry
    curry

How many days have you found your rice and pasta stays good without drying out?
    I use quinoa instead of rice and spaghetti squash instead of pasta, BUT if you drizzle your rice/pasta with oil it will help keep them from drying out. But I typically dont streatch the stirfry or pasta dishes much more than 3 days.
  • htebazil
    htebazil Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like to make this: http://www.marthastewart.com/336865/healthier-meat-lasagna. Tasty and the serving size is huge. I sometimes eat this for dinner with a small salad but more often I bring it to work for lunch.

Another favorite for me is to cook some chicken breast during the weekend and then the night before work I throw together a salad consisting of: arugula (as much as you like), 2-3 Tbsp shredded parmesean (or as much as you like), 1/8 cup toasted pinenuts (or as much as you like), and as much chicken as you like. I make a dressing out of lemon juice, walnut oil, salt, and pepper. I take the dressing in a separate container and add it to the salad when I'm ready to eat lunch. You could, of course, also have this as an easy to put together weeknight meal.

Also, this: http://www.skinnytaste.com/2013/04/spring-stir-fried-chicken-with-sugar.html on some brown rice or other grain is easy and tasty. (I double the veggies when I make it.) This recipe freezes well, too.