Couscous

Options
frankysgurl
frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
Looking for a variety of couscous dishes that taste GOOD! My hubby has only ever had plain couscous with no seasonings etc so he seems to think it is dull and boring. I have seen a ton of recipes but want to know if anyone has something that will really "wow" him.......and me too lol. Thanks!

Replies

• hebrews11113
    Options
    I add a little olive oil and garlic...maybe a pinch of rosemary... yummy also cook the couscous in chicken broth instead of water
  • jenniferuk
    jenniferuk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have only recently discovered couscous and love it but I'm not sure what to put with it. What recipes can you suggest?
  • ferasaldarmi
    ferasaldarmi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    My wife is Moroccan, and Couscous is their national dish.

We always have it with 7 kinds of vegetables, all cooked in a lovely broth.

We also have it sometimes with lamb or chicken, there are many wonderful recepies out there.

My favorite is couscous with sweet onoins and dried fruits with some nuts! Its so nuts!

We have it once a week, a small portion, as a treat :)
  • ghaybyers
    ghaybyers Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like to make cous cous as a carrier for a meal like a pasta or rice dish. So I make it by just boiling it in water as per the package, then I add:

feta (crumbled goat feta, this is part of your salt component)
    kalamata olives (the other part of your salt component)
    loads of cucumber cut into small pieces
    a can of garbanzo beans/chick peas (drain and rinse these)
    loads of tomato, fresh (I like to quarter cherry tomatoes)
    bell peppers, cut small

dressing is simple: olive oil, lemon juice, pepper and a generous amount of powdered oregano. Do not add salt unless you want to feel like an animal licking a road in January in a national park in Canada (we put salt on our roads so we don't crash our cars... that's a cold weather joke)

Now with the garbanzo beans, my vegetarian friends are good to go. Eliminate the feta if you're vegan. If you're like me and like meat, you can add grilled chicken or grilled shrimp, both are super delicious.

The vegetarian version of this takes 5 minutes to make. So nice and fast for people who suck at planning like me.
  • sarahthompsonslt
    sarahthompsonslt Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Make up with a bit of lemon juice and lemon zest, then add loads of freshly chopped herbs. Perfect with fish.