Cannot lose weight

Options

Replies

• lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I do not weigh my food or measure,

I would start here.

I did this for 3 months with no results. I am very careful with what I eat.

Well then you didn't do it right. You claim to be eating at a calorie deficit, you have no health problems that prevent you from losing weight, and yet you are not losing anything. You must a unicorn.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How is it propaganda?
    It's a healthy way to lose weight and works? I can personally vouch for it lol...

Because it's a restrictive diet based on absolutely zero scientific evidence and you just tried to say that the carbs that are excluded from the paleo diet are "bad things". Please explain and I'd love if you'd cite some sources. Also, you losing weight on the diet does not make it superior or necessarily a "healthy way" to lose weight. All it takes to lose weight is a calorie deficit. By definition you can lose weight eating nothing but Oreos, but that's not healthy. Restrictive diets lead to binges almost every time sooner or later, and that is far from healthy.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a paleo diet? you don't have to measure or watch what you eat just cut out the bad things. It worked for me, I lost 16 pounds in a months and a half...Either it makes you more healthy or less healthy is what I basically live by
    Hope this helps!
    There are almost no 'bad foods' except when an individual has a particular medical issue. I am glad paleo is working for you; in many cases, the results folks see from paleo are similar to what many folks saw when Atkins was all the rage: mostly water weight lost.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    Thank you all for the info so far. I think my biggest concern is that I work out, and not in a sloppy manner. I have a very strict workout plan designed by a trainer, leave the gym feeling fully worked out, sweaty and tired, so I know I got a good workout in, yet I still have the same body I had last August. What could I be missing. I eat only whole foods, little to no fruit, with the exception of berries here and there, so I'm not eating those hidden sugars, in fruits. Also, I hardly eat any carbs.

What is missing is eating at a calorie deficit. People have told you this, yet you are resisting.

FYI: You can eat carbs and fruit (fruit is healthy!!!) - just eat at a calorie deficit!!!!!
  • jsuaccounting
    jsuaccounting Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    If you can - follow up with the endocrinologist, in a year of watching your diet - you should not have gained. Also, while working out will help you maintain a higher muscle to fat ratio - I don't think it does much for your weight in the long run. I once worked out with a personal trainer for about 4 months, sticking to a fairly low carb diet and did not lose any weight. However, I felt like I made progress on gaining muscle and losing fat. IMO People who try to balance diet with cardio may lose at first (especially if they are 20 years old) but as the years go by they end up gaining.

You can of obviously try to tighten up on your diet as suggested by others. However, sometimes it doesn't work for women around 40 and the reasons can be varied.

Some people have found that adding hard workouts to a stressful life messes up your hormones - if this is the case then increasing sleep and cutting way back on cardio may help.

Others have blood sugar that is high but not yet pre-diabetic. This may cause you to get excessively hungry an hour or two after meals. Obviously, even if you are trying to control your eating - hunger will get you over time.

Some women have other hormonal difficulties such as PCOS - which they say should respond to the lower carb diet you mention.
    Paleo proponents point to dairy or wheat sensitivity as causing a host of difficulties including weight gain.

I am reading a book that seems like it might be helpful, it is called, Diet 101: The Truth about Low Carb diets. I also read the ME diet book - which talks some about hormonal issues with women losing weight.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    I think weighing and measuring is really important. My husband was going for a while just "Eyeballing" it, and if we ate breakfast together and he had cereal, I'd measure my cup and he'd fill the bowl and count that as his serving. I don't think you can overestimate the importance of measuring.
  • LyndaMaggie
    LyndaMaggie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    There are few things you need to change
    a) doing the same cardio every day at some point becomes easy and is no longer work
    b) Recommendation for cardio is 60 minutes per day for weight loss
    c) Interval Training = metabolic conditioning - Intervals stimulate fat burning through out the day.

I would look into your trainers methodology to be honest

Lynda
  • psu1975
    psu1975 Posts: 6
    Options
    I do not weigh my food or measure,

I would start here.

I did this for 3 months with no results. I am very careful with what I eat.

Well then you didn't do it right. You claim to be eating at a calorie deficit, you have no health problems that prevent you from losing weight, and yet you are not losing anything. You must a unicorn.

This is very helpful, thank you. I never would have known I was a unicorn had it not been for your post.
  • jayelle92
    Options
    How is it propaganda?
    It's a healthy way to lose weight and works? I can personally vouch for it lol...

Because it's a restrictive diet based on absolutely zero scientific evidence and you just tried to say that the carbs that are excluded from the paleo diet are "bad things". Please explain and I'd love if you'd cite some sources. Also, you losing weight on the diet does not make it superior or necessarily a "healthy way" to lose weight. All it takes to lose weight is a calorie deficit. By definition you can lose weight eating nothing but Oreos, but that's not healthy. Restrictive diets lead to binges almost every time sooner or later, and that is far from healthy.

I'm not saying it's superior in any way? lol It was a suggestion because it worked for me and I lost a healthy 15 pounds on it? Fruits, vegetables, nuts, meats and seafood are all relatively healthy wouldn't you agree? they would aide in weightless yes?
    Paleo isn't all that much a diet more a lifestyle change. It doesn't involve measuring your food or counting calories and at the same time we all have some sort of clue as to what is considered too much, we're all adults no one needs to tell us. Eliminating foods such as rice, pasta, dairy, vegetable oil, etc. can aide your body in cleaning itself out and "resetting" itself. You make your food and eat however much you think your body needs. Food serves as fuel for our bodies so it's either more healthy for you or less healthy for you. You don't just binge eat oreos. I can honestly say yes I don't personally agree when it claims that it can cure diseases but what have we got to lose? its an OPTION like everything else and I was just putting it out there.

Sincerely,
    a nutrition major
  • psu1975
    psu1975 Posts: 6
    Options
    If you can - follow up with the endocrinologist, in a year of watching your diet - you should not have gained. Also, while working out will help you maintain a higher muscle to fat ratio - I don't think it does much for your weight in the long run. I once worked out with a personal trainer for about 4 months, sticking to a fairly low carb diet and did not lose any weight. However, I felt like I made progress on gaining muscle and losing fat. IMO People who try to balance diet with cardio may lose at first (especially if they are 20 years old) but as the years go by they end up gaining.

You can of obviously try to tighten up on your diet as suggested by others. However, sometimes it doesn't work for women around 40 and the reasons can be varied.

Some people have found that adding hard workouts to a stressful life messes up your hormones - if this is the case then increasing sleep and cutting way back on cardio may help.

Others have blood sugar that is high but not yet pre-diabetic. This may cause you to get excessively hungry an hour or two after meals. Obviously, even if you are trying to control your eating - hunger will get you over time.

Some women have other hormonal difficulties such as PCOS - which they say should respond to the lower carb diet you mention.
    Paleo proponents point to dairy or wheat sensitivity as causing a host of difficulties including weight gain.

I am reading a book that seems like it might be helpful, it is called, Diet 101: The Truth about Low Carb diets. I also read the ME diet book - which talks some about hormonal issues with women losing weight.

Finally, a real answer. Thank you. For a minute there, I thought it was because I was a unicorn as someone else suggested.
  • lynn1982
    Options

Finally, a real answer. Thank you. For a minute there, I thought it was because I was a unicorn as someone else suggested.

Actually, everyone who told you to EAT AT A CALORIE DEFICIT were giving you real answers too. It just wasn't the answer you wanted to hear. There's no trick to weight loss. It's 80% what you eat (ie. eating at a friggin calorie deficit). And it's hard. Suck it up.
  • Sandibloom44
    Sandibloom44 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My daughter had this problem and her Dr. did a complete thyroid panel which showed her thyroid function was low even though the TSH test most Dr;'s do was with in normal range--they put her on synthroid and metformin as she is also insulin resistant and she lost about 20 lbs in a few weeks. It does take about a year to get the thyroid medicine regulated to the precise amt needed for your body but something to consider--good luck
  • janinelambiase
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. People, don't be so hard on him ! I takes some to time to read through all this, learn the measuring, understanding what TDEE and so on is. I still don't get it and still trying to understand. What the whole deficit thing ?
    Its gets overwhelming sometimes.
    Don't rule out that there might be a medical reason behind it, never hurts to check with your doctor!

I wish you good luck and feel your frustration!
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I generally eat around 1700 cal/day. Somedays, depending on the intensity of my workout, I will eat up to 1900 cal. I do not weigh my food or measure, but I do watch what I eat very closely.

I am about 5"5", 175lbs, 38 years old. And I'm sorry, I don't know what TDEE is.

the bolded part is a contradiction. If you do not weigh or measure your food, you are not "watching it very closely", sorry.

Start weighing and measuring.
  • sremboske
    Options
    There is no such thing as can't! If you want it badly enough, you can do it! Don't give up! I have always had a weight issue and found out about a year ago that I have hypothyroidism. I actually gained weight on my medication. Like 60 lbs worth.I STOPPED TAKING THE MEDS! I thought i was eating healthy but i was eating too much still.
    I buckled down just this past 5 weeks. I started out counting calories on my own which helped me lose two pounds in my first 2 weeks. Just did joanna soh you tube workouts for the first two weeks with weights to get in the habit of daily routine. Then I started on fitness pal and a gym membership. I log everything even if i dont want to. DONT GIVE UP EVERYTHING YOU LOVE. YOU WILL FAIL. Just eat in moderation and work out harder if you know you want a candy bar or taco.lol.
    I do an hour and half to 2 hours of cardio in the mornings plus 30 minutes of weight lifting. I also do zumba once a week! It's so much fun. Over the last 3 weeks, I have lost 8 more pounds. But my energy levels have been way up, and since limiting my sugars and sodium on most days. IT'S A SLOW PROCESS! But rewards are totally worth it. Just by joining this site, you will see the difference it makes in your dieting and food choices! Good luck! friend me if you like!
  • Avalonis
    Avalonis Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying. People, don't be so hard on him ! I takes some to time to read through all this, learn the measuring, understanding what TDEE and so on is.

We're not being hard on him for being new, we're being hard on him for continuing to argue with people about his intake when he's clearly COMPLETELY WRONG.

It's very simple: Eat less than you burn, and you WILL lose weight. Some people lose faster than others. But its not more complicated than that.

The simple fact of the matter is when you dont track what and how much you eat, you almost certainly will overeat and not know it.

That snack sized candy bar? That cup of juice? That handful of Cheezits? They add up, and FAST. Especially as a smaller man, these things make a huge huge difference.

Listen to the advice of the experienced members on here that have made all those mistakes already. Track your damn food, or don't get upset when people have no patience for you.
  • SEAFOODMAN
    SEAFOODMAN Posts: 342
    Options
    calories more important than working out...............and if you don't want to measure your foods and keep track of calories.............fast a couple days a week
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    How is it propaganda?

Fruits, vegetables, nuts, meats and seafood are all relatively healthy wouldn't you agree? they would aide in weightless yes?

There are NO foods that are ALWAYS healthy in every context and every dosage. There are very very very few foods that are ALWAYS unhealthy in every context and every dosage. A food's healthiness is determined within the context of your daily food intake and depends on the dosage your are consuming. For example, if your calorie goal is 2000 calories, and you have already eaten 2000 calories in a given day and hit all your macronutrient, micronutrient, and fiber goals for the day, eating an apple on top of that would be unhealthy in that context, thus an apple is not ALWAYS healthy.
    Eliminating foods such as rice, pasta, dairy, vegetable oil, etc. can aide your body in cleaning itself out and "resetting" itself.

Please explain this and supply even one link or citation as evidence for why this is true, because this is completely ridiculous...
    Food serves as fuel for our bodies so it's either more healthy for you or less healthy for you.

I already explained why this is not the case. Individual food items are never concretely healthy or unhealthy, without bringing context and dosage into the equation...
    Sincerely,
    a nutrition major

This actually hurts your case. If you feel the need to mention that you're a nutrition major as if that immediately makes you more knowledgeable about me when it comes to proper nutrition, instead of just arguing your case and providing evidence to back yourself up, then you need to rethink you're strategy...
  • janinelambiase
    Options
    So the 1200 that MFP is giving me, that is already all calculated in there?
    Call me stupid, but I just dont get it!
    If I have to burn more than I ate per day, which would be 1200?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I guess we are trying to understand the same thing.
  • lynn1982
    Options
    So the 1200 that MFP is giving me, that is already all calculated in there?
    Call me stupid, but I just dont get it!
    If I have to burn more than I ate per day, which would be 1200?

Sorry for hijacking your thread, but I guess we are trying to understand the same thing.

MFP automatically calculates your deficit. That's why you get more calories to consume when you log your exercise. So for example, if you're eating 1200 calories per day and you burn an additional 500 calories, you would eat 1700 calories. Make sense?