Calorie Level

Options
2»

Replies

• ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Yeah I realized after reading another post that when it says moderate deficit that is included in the 2lbs a week. Crazy how your mind just doesn't want to accept it, it just has to believe that cutting more works. I'm not gonna lie, it is going to be difficult for me to be patient and wait to see the results.

I mean, 2 pounds per week is already a pretty aggressive deficit. You've got to be tired if you're under-eating a 1000 calorie deficit. Isn't it a big shock, to eat so little? Aren't you hungry? Maybe those are things you'll notice after you add in that extra 200cal... so I guess take this as a warning. It's okay, for the record, if that happens, to lower your deficit further. If you find you're starving eating an extra 200 calories, that's the time to have more, not go back to eating less.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Yeah I realized after reading another post that when it says moderate deficit that is included in the 2lbs a week. Crazy how your mind just doesn't want to accept it, it just has to believe that cutting more works. I'm not gonna lie, it is going to be difficult for me to be patient and wait to see the results.

I mean, 2 pounds per week is already a pretty aggressive deficit. You've got to be tired if you're under-eating a 1000 calorie deficit. Isn't it a big shock, to eat so little? Aren't you hungry? Maybe those are things you'll notice after you add in that extra 200cal... so I guess take this as a warning. It's okay, for the record, if that happens, to lower your deficit further. If you find you're starving eating an extra 200 calories, that's the time to have more, not go back to eating less.

Totally OT, but I think you have the best username on MFP.
  • candysleirer
    candysleirer Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    ok what do you do if you still need 2-300calories and anything you can find puts some other category over. Which one would you rather go over on first ie..fat, protein, carb, sugar?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    ok what do you do if you still need 2-300calories and anything you can find puts some other category over. Which one would you rather go over on first ie..fat, protein, carb, sugar?

Depends on your ratios. MFP has their protein set really low so I'd figure out where you'd need or want to be at. Here's a link to help figure that out if you want:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

As for the rest of your cals. I work on balancing out the week. So if you don't want to eat or don't get a chance to eat those 200-300 cals right now, just make sure you balance out sometime during the week.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Don't worry about going over in any particular macro. In fact, you are encouraged to go over in protein and fat. Within certain bounds, more is better for those.

As for making up extra calories... anything you like. I love having a bit of ice cream at the end of the day. Cookies are good. Peanut butter is good. The great thing about peanut butter and ice cream is you can measure out exactly however much you want to make up for your leftover calories. Milk is good. Cheese. Hummus. Fruit. Crackers. Whatever.

If you open your diary, we could help you out with the macro planning and identify pitfalls or mistakes.
  • Fosterkidd
    Fosterkidd Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    From my own experience, I can tell you that you'll get better results from eating AT the calorie count. When I first got serious about losing weight, I would add my own deficit and eat about 400 calories below my goal. I had a really hard time maintaining that NUMBER (it's only a number after all) and I would have crazy swings in my eating and workout habits. After I finally settled into honestly tracking my food and exercise on the computer, I really started seeing results without having to try so hard.
  • candysleirer
    Options
    Sure let me figure out how to do that.
  • candysleirer
    Options
    Duh. ok I changed it to public. Also I managed to find something to eat that came in under in all categories. lol. funny how that works.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Duh. ok I changed it to public. Also I managed to find something to eat that came in under in all categories. lol. funny how that works.

Looks pretty good.

I'd encourage you to get more protein, as more protein helps you retain the muscle mass you already have. It's much much easier to keep what you have than to build more later. I'd suggest you try to get 100 grams of protein per day, minimum. Your fat goal looks reasonable, but I also want to stress that should be seen as a minimum target instead of a maximum target.

You're definitely on the right track though.