-digital
    -grams
    -tare

-preferably glass top

Got my Taylor one from target for less than $20
  • dunnodunno
    dunnodunno Posts: 2,290 Member
    Options
    I got the glass topped one from Walmart and love it. It does have the tare function.

I second the Wal-Mart one. I had one for a year before my nephew broke it & bought a second one a few months ago.
  • HaraldurB
    HaraldurB Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I bought this one and it works great. If the plate I put on the scale is too big so I can't see the screen I just put a bowl on the scale and the plate on top so it's high enough for me to see the screen clearly. No problem at all.

http://amzn.to/1jDYZnT
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I have 2 of them, and should I ever need to replace one of them I would look for the following:

- Tare function
    - Digital
    - Grams to .1 increments
    - stainless steel or glass

Don't understand the "easy to clean" thing as a huge issue. I just put a plate in there and hit tare. I mean of course I clean it, but I never put food directly on there.
  • pmr545
    pmr545 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I have a very thin metal digital scale. A plate or bowl can be set on it and the scale nets to zero... this is my favorite feature. I've been using it for a few years and have yet to need to change out the batteries. I bought it on Amazon... it tucks away behind my kuerig.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Get one.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I have a cuisine art that works well, but the things I hate are the fact that mine automatically turns off too soon, I wish I had a dedicated on/off button with a LONG auto off timer.

I also hate that to tare I have to hold down the button for a few seconds since its also the button to switch from grams to ounces. Either a separate button or have the tare be the momentary and the switch be the long hold. You will tare far more often then switch between grams and pounds.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Saga digital scale on Ebay for $8 (brand new). You can also set your bowl, plate, etc on it before turning it on and it will weigh just your food. You press a button and it will show grams, lbs, and ounces. I love it!
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    I also bought the glass topped scale from Walmart. Mine is a Better Homes & Garden brand (BHG) and comes with a small booklet that contains codes for many, many foods. Using these codes you can determine macro values of the foods listed. IOW, if you choose potato (baked) then place a baked potato on the scale and select the corresponding code for that particular food, you can see the calorie, carb, fiber, protein content by choosing the corresponding button on the scale. I really like it. Being able to Tare between adding additional foodstuffs to a bowl is very convenient also of course. I think this one was originally $35 but was on sale for $25 (if I remember right).
  • kar328
    kar328 Posts: 4,157 Member
    Options
    We bought one from Target, Its made by Taylor, its electronic (Only buy an electronic one, we bought a really cheap analog scale, it was way off and we didnt know it until we got this one) it has a tare feature, measures fluid ounces, actual weight ounces, pounds, milliliters, and grams. Its great and I think it was $29.00 , We love it soooo much.

Mine isnt the stainless steel of glass top one, Ours is the bamboo top and easy to clean, just wipe and done.

I have the exact same one. Love it. And it looks nice too. :wink:
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    my experience is that scales break, buy the cheapest one that does what you want
    i chose scales with:
    - tare function
    - flat easy clean surface that i can put any container on
    - choice of units 0.1g and oz
  • tquill
    tquill Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I bought this one and it works great. If the plate I put on the scale is too big so I can't see the screen I just put a bowl on the scale and the plate on top so it's high enough for me to see the screen clearly. No problem at all.

http://amzn.to/1jDYZnT

Genius. I never even considered doing that.
  • Mariela223
    Options
    I have the weight watchers scale n love it