help with correct calories

Options
Hi!

I love MFP and I have found myself back into the swing of things after big break. this time I'm really weighing everything and no guessing. I'm dealing with emotional eating....

one thing that I find frustrating is that a lot of my food is not packaged, eg beef and chicken.

when I go to log it I get so many variations in the Calorie count for 100g of raw steak. Even when I go else where on the web there are differences. Calorie king Australia has it at 122 calories for 100g and another site is saying 150 for 100g. What do you do when making sure you get the correct info when logging fresh whole foods?

feel free to look at my diary it's open.....

by the way I'm 42 164 cm tall and I weigh 69kg that's why I'm eating at 1200. I will start eating back some of my exercise calories soon but for now I just want to see how things go.

cheers

Replies

• belanna5
    belanna5 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Usually I choose the one with higher numbers (cals or carbs or pro or fat). Better to add more calories than less.
    I'm eating 1200 too so every calorie counts.
  • errorist
    errorist Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I've been logging for a while, and I still get very muddled over different entries for meat. Fat removed, skin on, cooked, uncooked, different cuts, different brands or shops - they are all different. You have to be very careful to reflect what you are actually eating, and make comparisons between different entries. Having said that, there are some wildly inaccurate entries in the database. The whole grilled / raw thing annoys me enormously - surely once something has been grilled, it should be more calorie dense, as water has evaporated? This is the case for some items, but not for others.

Shamefully, I tend to plump for the second-lowest number I can see, as long as the macros are filled in. Even USDA data is fairly useless for meats (if you ask me) because it tends to be in ounces and not grams. Maybe I'm being imperialist, but it doesn't feel accurate enough to me.
  • SuperC_85
    SuperC_85 Posts: 393
    Options
    Urgh there are so many inaccurate or dodgy entries on the database.

Check this thread out, its really great for logging food accurately! :smile:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1234699-logging-accurately-step-by-step-guide
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of fresh produce from the garden, the local farm shop , over the farm fence or from the butcher.

There are a couple of options I chose from which varies depending on lots of things:
    - chose the version from the local (to me) supermarket for me that's tesco or waitrose
    - chose data from the nhs or the USDA or other generic national agencies - as these are both overall values (I prefer the british to the american because i understand their processes better)

for eggs - I weight them because the sizes are rather meaningless with quite a lot of variation

i tend to work on picking the "worst case" when there are several possible values