What are Macro Nutrients?

Options
So, I am not really sure what these macronutrients are, or how I should be using them to achieve the best results, can someone help me out?

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fats, protein, alcohol. Worry about cals first. Then do macros when youre comfortable at your new intake
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    So, I am not really sure what these macronutrients are, or how I should be using them to achieve the best results, can someone help me out?

3 macronutrients, carbohydrates (sugars), protein and fat. If it has calories then it has at least one of those macronutrients. You need all three in your diet and there are as many varieties of diet plans out there as you can imagine really you just have to find what works for you.

A basic plan I think would be to make sure you get 1 gram of protein for every pound of lean mass you have and get sufficent fats as well (can't remember what the number is for that off the top of my head) and then fill out the rest with carbs.

Personally my current diet I eat 40% of my calories from protein 40% from carbs and 20% from fat which is a pretty low fat diet.

I think a good start would be something like 40% carbs, 30% protein 30% fat but like I said point is to hit your needs for protein and fat and then past that you can just find what works for you. Its about what satisfies your hunger while maintaining your deficit basically.
  • GypsieFlower94
    Options
    Yeah that's what my goals are set to now on MFP, I didn't know those were the macro nutrients. I have looked at my results, and I have found that it is really hard for me to balance it out sometimes, especially if I don't pre log meals. Another issue I have is sodium. I always seem to be over, even though I have cut out adding salt to meals and am only having what is from the food I am consuming.

Im not sure how to make sure I get the correct balances, it seems like some days, its perfect, and others it's completely off.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Carbs, fats, protein, alcohol. Worry about cals first. Then do macros when youre comfortable at your new intake

alcohol carries it's cals as sugar ie carbs
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah that's what my goals are set to now on MFP, I didn't know those were the macro nutrients. I have looked at my results, and I have found that it is really hard for me to balance it out sometimes, especially if I don't pre log meals. Another issue I have is sodium. I always seem to be over, even though I have cut out adding salt to meals and am only having what is from the food I am consuming.

Im not sure how to make sure I get the correct balances, it seems like some days, its perfect, and others it's completely off.

Unless you have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and put on a low sodium diet by a doctor you really don't have to worry about your sodium intake. Don't over-complicate this, calories first....macros second other than that just be consistent.
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    Don't over-complicate this, calories first....macros second other than that just be consistent.

^^^ this
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Don't over-complicate this, calories first....macros second other than that just be consistent.

^^^ this

Exactly...the key here is if you hit macros chances are you will be in goal anyway.

I watch my macros..protien first...then calories...the others I just eat. The only way for me to hit them is to prelog...