Getting leaner calves (girls)

Options
hp1988
hp1988 Posts: 23 Member
Hey everyone,

I'm really battling with my calves at the moment - they've always been chunky but I just can't seem to slim them down! I know losing weight will help, but only so much - they are pretty solid! Does anyone have any good tips for making them more svelte and lean?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Hanna

Replies

• xWendyJonesx
    xWendyJonesx Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    This winter was the first time I've ever been able to do the zips up on winter boots, I've put this down to walking almost 3miles a day, my thighs are also toning up to.
  • hp1988
    Options
    Well done!! That's great.

I worry if I do too much walking/running they'll just get bigger and bigger from muscle - but if it's working for you I'll have to just stick at it and hope they shrink!!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce fat or muscle

i have big calves - they're part of me

as i lose weight and fat they are getting leaner slowly
    as i excercise they get more toned

keep going and don't forget to stretch
  • hp1988
    Options
    Thank you, will do!
  • luca15306
    luca15306 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have huuuuuuuge calves ....
    nothing will make them smaller... Have lost about 3 stone and only probably half an inch off each one!
    Squats did help with toning them a bit, did the squat challenge for a bit, go up to about 120 a day for two weeks, could see a slight difference then, apart from that, I need some advice too! Just got a bike tho, been told that might help.
    I think mine are mostly genetic, my thighs are fine, just awful calves and chubby ankles :(
  • coolblondenerd
    coolblondenerd Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    you can't spot reduce fat or muscle

i have big calves - they're part of me

as i lose weight and fat they are getting leaner slowly
    as i excercise they get more toned

keep going and don't forget to stretch

^^^ This!
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I've always had bigger calves too. However, this winter, I couldn't even wear some hot knee-high leather boots that were a little tight last year. As my husband put it, this year, they looked like knee-high leather moon boots because the calves were way too roomy. But my calves are still disproportionately large for my legs. What my trainer said (without me asking) is that for whatever reason, I've relied too much on my calf muscles, so they've built up. He said we need to turn on and build my hamstrings more so the calves can turn off and perhaps shrink a bit. We'll see!
  • JenNuma
    JenNuma Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I will be watching for the answers you get! spoiled puppies, what did exercises did he have you do to strengthen your hammies?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well done!! That's great.

I worry if I do too much walking/running they'll just get bigger and bigger from muscle - but if it's working for you I'll have to just stick at it and hope they shrink!!
    no walking and running will not bulk up your legs
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    Walk on the balls of your feet.

My hubby does this, not something he thinks about just how he walks. And he has the leanest calves I've ever seen. If I do it for 5-10 minutes my calves are tight and worn out.
  • MomTo3Lovez
    MomTo3Lovez Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Walking, biking, just moving should help somewhat, but some people are meant to have big legs, I know 2 girls...well ladies that were heavy all of their lives and they lost tremendous amount of weight but still have big legs, it's just how they are. Just keep up with the exercise and even if they are bigger if they are toned up it'll look better then if they aren't. Alot of women athletes have huge legs however they look awesome.
  • hp1988
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your suggestions :)

Spoiled puppies sounds like your calves have shrunk a lot - I'm also interested to hear how you'll be strengthening your hamstrings!

StaciMarie, I will try this on the walk home today and see how I go, excited to try it out.

And everyone else, thank you very much, glad to know I'm not alone!!
  • daviddjhonna
    Options
    I have solid rock calves too and no matter what I do they either get bigger from muscle or fat. But I cant count how many times I have been told how some people would kill to have calves like mine. They can have them... then maybe I can wear boots all the way up to my knees. ;-D
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I will be watching for the answers you get! spoiled puppies, what did exercises did he have you do to strengthen your hammies?

I've only been working with him for a couple of months, and we're not exactly focusing on the size of my calves. He just mentioned shrinking my calves while I was doing a seated hamstring curl. So I don't know what else he has in mind. I'm doing general heavy lifting with him, so a variety of things so far.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Reducing your overall body fat will reveal your calves. Weightlifting helps too.
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options
    Walk on the balls of your feet.

My hubby does this, not something he thinks about just how he walks. And he has the leanest calves I've ever seen. If I do it for 5-10 minutes my calves are tight and worn out.

Clearly because he walks on the balls of his feet. Genetics probably plays no role at all.
  • aribugg
    aribugg Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    running with the right shoes (ive been told) can make you work your calves more. those funny looking barefoot runner shoes, i got some and saw a change in my calves in a week. very small change that you can only see when i flex. but one day at a time, right?
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    In for smaller calves :)
  • NRBreit
    NRBreit Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Calves are tough. They take a ton of training to develop. From a fat loss standpoint, I have noticed that my calves only change about 1/4" for every 15 pounds scale weight.