Basement Boxing bags...help/advice?

Options
Good morning! I've seen a few of you with pics showing a basement boxing bag, and I think this would be a great way to not only get a good workout, but also let out some pent-up aggression on "bad" days...instead of eating :smile:

I have a basement but I'm not entirely sure how to properly secure something like a boxing bag without bringing a beam down. I mean they seem sturdy enough, but what do I know? It's a rental so I don't think I can put any extra bits of wood.

How do you folks have yours secured? Do they hang from just one beam or do multiple beams come into play? Can you take it down when not in use (kids play in the basement, and I can see the youngest trying to swing himself on it...or worse, trying to tackle it :laugh: )

I'd rather not have a free-standing one because I'd worry about it tipping over.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

Replies

• steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I've seen a few of you with pics showing a basement boxing bag, and I think this would be a great way to not only get a good workout, but also let out some pent-up aggression on "bad" days...instead of eating :smile:

I have a basement but I'm not entirely sure how to properly secure something like a boxing bag without bringing a beam down. I mean they seem sturdy enough, but what do I know? It's a rental so I don't think I can put any extra bits of wood.

How do you folks have yours secured? Do they hang from just one beam or do multiple beams come into play? Can you take it down when not in use (kids play in the basement, and I can see the youngest trying to swing himself on it...or worse, trying to tackle it :laugh: )

I'd rather not have a free-standing one because I'd worry about it tipping over.

It all depends on your ceiling. Is it open? If so, you can secure a chain around the beam. If not, a joist is preferred and I would suggest a swivel wall mount. Less stress, and you can also take the bag down easy enough with someone holding it for you.

Also, if its a rental, you would probably need to check with the landlord to make sure it's not against any home violations.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    FYI: If you attach the bag to the beams in your home, be prepared for the ENTIRE house to feel like it's in the middle of an earthquake every time you punch the bag. If you live alone, NBD, but if anyone is going to be upstairs it could be a problem
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

It all depends on your ceiling. Is it open? If so, you can secure a chain around the beam. If not, a joist is preferred and I would suggest a swivel wall mount. Less stress, and you can also take the bag down easy enough with someone holding it for you.

Also, if its a rental, you would probably need to check with the landlord to make sure it's not against any home violations.

We can put anything up as long as it's removable when we leave and doesn't do damage (ie, hooks for cables/wires, etc). Adding an extra beam for support might be a bit much so I'll check with them. I have one open beam but it's just a corner, so I don't think that'll work. The ceiling is open, but the beams themselves just show the bottom and then are connected with other pieces of wood to the ceiling/1st floor base. So there's nowhere to loop. There's no standing floor to ceiling beams, either, other than a couple of metal support beams.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    They do have stand alone stands for the heavy bag.

10259405.jpg

I am not sure how much of a difference it makes in having it installed on the beams vs the stand alone stand. Obviously being attached to the structure of the house it will be more sturdy/stable. But as others have said it will probably vibrate the whole house and could get annoying.

How much spinach will you be eating before you punch the bag? If not that much then maybe you can get away with the Heavy Bag Stand. On the plus side on nice days you can take it outside and beat the hell out of it in your driveway.
  • getdancing2013
    getdancing2013 Posts: 72 Member
    Options

10259405.jpg

I am not sure how much of a difference it makes in having it installed on the beams vs the stand alone stand. Obviously being attached to the structure of the house it will be more sturdy/stable. But as others have said it will probably vibrate the whole house and could get annoying.

How much spinach will you be eating before you punch the bag? If not that much then maybe you can get away with the Heavy Bag Stand. On the plus side on nice days you can take it outside and beat the hell out of it in your driveway.

I'm looking at the lighter bags - I'm not that strong :laugh: But I hadn't thought about the whole "shaking the house" thing.

I'm just worried with the stands that it'll tip over, although I guess they're built for that. Do these things tend to tip over? It's sounding like installing the bag on the ceiling might be bad.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    I have a spring-loaded freestanding bag (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006CV63SY/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1) that works pretty well. It's pretty study with 300 pounds of sandbags on it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    yeaaaaaaah, imma go out on a limb and assume you're not so strong and powerful that you'll be knocking bags over or exploding them and have the bag's stuffing flying all over your basement.

well, unless you're a Russian fighter that was scientifically created to kill heavy bags.

tumblr_n24vywaMi71shderao1_500.gif
  • steve0820
    steve0820 Posts: 510 Member
    Options

10259405.jpg

I'm looking at the lighter bags - I'm not that strong :laugh: But I hadn't thought about the whole "shaking the house" thing.

I'm just worried with the stands that it'll tip over, although I guess they're built for that. Do these things tend to tip over? It's sounding like installing the bag on the ceiling might be bad.

I agree with the other posters, you can expect some house shaking of some kind. I would also suggest the stands, they are pretty sturdy, only issue I have is that they are pricey! For bags itself, you don't want something too light, I would suggest at least a 60lbs bag, if not 100lbs.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    FYI: If you attach the bag to the beams in your home, be prepared for the ENTIRE house to feel like it's in the middle of an earthquake every time you punch the bag. If you live alone, NBD, but if anyone is going to be upstairs it could be a problem

This. I no longer have the bag for fear of being killed by my wife.
  • fauxpunker
    fauxpunker Posts: 59 Member
    Options

Go based more off your weight than strength. Punching involves a lot of the body and depending on your size, a 50-60 lb bag is going to be too small. Something around half your body weight is the general rule of thumb.
  • sheltrk
    sheltrk Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    For minimal setup time, space, and no drilling required, there are these things. I have some experience with this style... Out in the open, I knock these over regularly, filled with sand or water. (Picking them back up repeatedly is a different kind of workout!) If it's backed up into a corner, knocking them over is not a problem (but rattling the walls is). Probably you'd want a rubber mat to go underneath it.

101621-CENTURY-LG.JPG
    http://www.centurymartialarts.com/Training_Bags/Wavemaster/TKD_Wavemaster.aspx
  • emmanap91
    emmanap91 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Can't describe the mounting method (my dad did it), but he just put in a hook so we could take the bag down in between workouts (saves space but also decreases the stress on the mount).
  • Luke_I_am_your_spotter
    Luke_I_am_your_spotter Posts: 4,179 Member
    Options

^^ hahaha so true.

i mounted mine to the beam. if you have an exposed beam... you could do that too... then when its time...just unscrew from the beam, fill in the holes and sand. No biggie.