Infertility treatment and intense cardio

Options
Hi All,

Is it advisable to do an intense cardio programme like Turbo Fire while undergoing IUI cycle treatments? Iam obese (BMI: 32) and been trying to conceive for the last one year. I found out today that my first IUI cycle failed. One part of me wants to take a break for 2-3 months, loose some weight and continue with the subsequent IUIs and the other part of me wants to continue the treatments while being on a fitness programme. Since I have PCO, loosing weight is important for me.

I have done Turbo Fire in 2011 and lost about 12 kgs and so, I know that it works for me. I have never been a person who likes to walk. So, I am not looking at that as an option.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Cheers.

Replies

• Archanasatyam
    Archanasatyam Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i think u must not b asking that question here sri.. it should b ur gynec who should answer that.. either way u r concerned .. step down ur intensity.. weight loss gives u advantages in many ways.. and one need not lose weight only with insane workouts.. watching what u r eating would also fetch u good results in the short and long run.. be consistent and meticulous with the logging.. buy a kitchen weighing scale and log everything.. give it a shot for a brief time.. u said u lost 12 kgs in 2011.. did u gain it back... we are al here for support.. interact.. all the best
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I echo the last sentiment and say to ask your GYN, but I wanted to throw in my personal opinion because I'm in similar circumstances. I have PCOS, on Clomid, and I decided to wait on starting a new fitness regime while TTC. I was being really aggressive with my workouts and I felt that was too much stress on my body. I didn't want to strain myself so much that my periods became irregular. So if I were in your shoes, I'd take a break and lose the weight first, if you have time. I only stopped my workout because I'm OLD (haha) and I don't have much time, and I'm not overweight, just out of shape. Best wishes. Sending baby dust. :wink: :heart:
  • nancybuss
    nancybuss Posts: 1,461 Member
    Options
    Working out is fine with cycling. You just want to make sure you don't have your intensity / heat/ up too high for too long. Maybe in the second half of your cycle be a little less intense.

Also, are you being monitored? You want to be sure you don't get torsion because of the large amount of eggs maturing.
    Watch the jumping workouts and extra high temperatures but I would keep going.

I agree, losing the weight can certainly help so totally stopping is counter-productive.

Eat the Best you can! Walk extra if you can.

Its hard, and infertility is HARD! Good luck!!!! Here's to success quickly

and here's to National Infertility Awareness Week in the U.S. !!!!!
  • rachelg145
    rachelg145 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Ask your Dr. for sure. Going through infertility is a very stressful, unromantic time and it's expensive and you don't want to be more stressed out about more things than you have to be.

My Dr.'s advice to me was not to do anything that I would regret later if I didn't get pregnant or if the pregnancy didn't last through the first trimester. So you need to ask yourself, will you regret working out too hard while hoping that sperm burrows into an egg and then they try to burrow into your lining if you don't get pregnant? Will you regret NOT taking a break to lose some weight if you DO get pregnant and it's twins or something and therefore a higher risk, more difficult pregnancy? If you do take a break, follow a reasonable diet with reasonable goals so that you don't then stress yourself out with expectations of extreme weight loss.

Remember fat cells only generate when you are a baby in utero, when you are in puberty and then sometimes when you are pregnant. All the other time we are just shrinking and expanding the same cells in our bodies. So when you do get pregnant be sure to mind your diet so you don't add more fat cells and give yourself a bigger uphill battle after the baby is born. This was information I wished I was better educated on BEFORE pregnancy

If you want to connect, go ahead and friend me. I went through a surgery to remove a tumor that was found when I couldn't get pregnant followed by 6 unsuccessful IUI's, 1 IVF that was finally the successful one and then got pregnant on my own when that baby was 5 1/2 months old. I do not have PCOS or anything, just had that tumor that was effecting my hormones and therefore preventing ovulation. Even with the IVF treatment we only ended up with one truly viable embryo to introduce which is unique.

Stay strong and let this make you and your relationship with your husband stronger. It's not easy and I'll be sending happy, positive thoughts your way!!
  • dsri18
    dsri18 Posts: 8
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your kind words and advise.

Infertility sucks! Period. I started my first cycle of IUI in January only to find on my D7 scan (after 7 injections) that I had a polyp. my cycle was cancelled and I had a polypectomy and sat out that cycle waiting for close to 40 days to get my next period to restart my IUI again. This time, my ovaries just refused to respond. After 25 injections of low dosage HMG, I got one 22mm follicle and the rest is history as my beta this morning was only 0.1

I am emotionally and physically exhausted already. I know that I still have a long road ahead!

I would most likely take a 2 month break and get back my physical and emotional strength to fight. I will take all your advise and set reasonable goals, try and stick to a less intense excercise program that I can stick to and try to loose some weight.