So...to beat a dead horse...

This is such a stereotypical "why is this happening" post, I am just trying to be logical and not panic and its getting hard. I mentioned in a post last week that two weeks ago my boyfriend (best friend of 6 years, boyfriend of 2, lived together, 2 cats, ladeda) broke up with me simply because he doesn't feel the same anymore causing me to have to move out of our home and move into my parents place for a few months while I get back on my feet. Super stressful hell hole. I spent a week drinking and eating sweets and not working out....BUT STAYING WITHIN A CALORIE DEFICIT. I should have, by the numbers, lost 2.3 lbs. What has happened?
Every day the past week i've gone up a number on the scale. I kept telling myself it was water and to get back in my exercise and eating habits and things would level out. So yesterday, I went on a 3 hour vigorous hike, ate very controlled calorie correct and low sodium foods, drank water, etc...happy to be back on the horse. Woke up this morning excited to see the scale go down..maybe a lb or two..tell me there is some water weight hope..and the what did the scale say..?????...UP ANOTHER POUND. I have gone from 134 lb so close to goal...to a wopping 140....in 6 days. Counting calories as usual. Active as usual. Now back to my usual working out. I know there is no way that I ate an excess of 21000 while calculating a deficit. I was sane and telling myself to keep things in perspective until that 140 number this morning. Why. Why. Why. Six lbs. seems like quite a lot to swing not during lady time or after a huge feast. Does anyone swing that much on the regular? What gives?

Replies

• FaithfulJewel
    FaithfulJewel Posts: 177 Member
    Sorry to hear about your situation :(

I've heard that eating high sodium or high carb (or whatever your body hates the most) can cause water retention that can last over a week, maybe even 2. So going back to normal should put you straight back on track in about 2 weeks of the problem day(s).

Just keep at your deficit/exercise level and wait it out?
  • Jcornwa1
    Jcornwa1 Posts: 18
    I feel like thats all I can really do. And if I was giving advice to someone thats what i'd say...its just so much more stressful when its happening to you. Like, in the grand scheme of life..this means nothing. Of course. But, especially as my confidence is already so shaken just because of this situation, watching numbers go up with no reason if so frustrating. And even if I know that there is no way its real...a part of me is still doing the whole: "Maybe you aren't calculating right..was this cup of grapes really a cup of grapes? Didn' you eat a couple when you were washing them?..AHA! BAD CALCULATIONS!...maybe the whole 44 lbs you lost was water and 1 week of bad eating ruined everything...is this going to happen when you try to maintain!?...maybe you messed up your metabolism and now your maintenance is 300 net calories! What. are. you. going. to. dooooo" lol But seriously.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    stress can wreck havoc in a womans body......and you are under stress, and getting on the scale daily is causing more...

take a breath, take a step back and calm down...stay off the scale for a while it is stressing you out...along with the break up...
  • hmaddpear
    hmaddpear Posts: 610 Member
    Cortisol. Mega-stress time means a lot more cortisol in your system, which means a lot of water retention. And yes, it can be in the region of lots of pounds.

You probably won't see the full loss until the stressors have gone, but your usual working out in the meantime will start to reduce those stresses and you will start to lose again.

I'm assuming as you're working out "as usual" so you shouldn't get the mega-increase due to increased activity.

Upshot is, it should start to come down again soon. Probably only slowly (as in before the hike in water weight), but when you get yourself sorted out and less stressed you'll probably see a marked dip as your body finally relaxes.

Good luck, and I hope you get back on an even footing soon.

ETA: As SezxyStef says - the scale numbers are stressing you out as well - stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks, and look after yourself.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Yep, it's a stress response that causes you to retain water. I'd stay away from the scale for a few weeks. Continue to eat at a deficit and get back on track.
  • alisonmarytuck
    alisonmarytuck Posts: 68 Member
    Are you weighing on different scales? Are they accurate?
    start eating healthily again and within calories, it will soon sort out. And think of some non eating treats for yourself ...you need them right now
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    I'm sorry to hear about the situation with your boyfriend. :(

I agree with the other ladies about stress. I think my general stress level is probably one of the reasons I have such a hard time losing.

I know you said you weren't really working out for a while, although you were still at a deficit. How do you determine your deficit? I have a Fitbit and tend to vary my eating from day to day with my activity based on the Fitbit.

I don't claim to be an expert, by any stretch, but your post made me think of this thread... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/993865-why-you-gain-weight-if-you-eat-more-than-your-cut

It may apply to you if you were eating closer to maintenance than a deficit when you take into account the decrease in activity. If not, maybe you'll find it helpful as you said you were close to goal.

Regardless, best wishes and good luck!
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Stress, more carbs/salt than usual, a long hike yesterday-- all contributing factors. It does suck when it happens to you, but the rational part of your brain knows what's going on. Maybe stay away from the scale a few days and just focus on feeling better.
  • ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Stress, more carbs/salt than usual, a long hike yesterday-- all contributing factors. It does suck when it happens to you, but the rational part of your brain knows what's going on. Maybe stay away from the scale a few days and just focus on feeling better.

During certain times of the year I can gain five pounds in 24 hours due to allergies. However, the human body is an incredible designed machine and with proper eating habits and exercise it will function accordingly; however, as the ladies before mentioned, stress can affect the body as well. I deal with stress in two ways:

1) Exercise: I am amazed how working out or just going for a fast pace walk alters my demeanor.

2) Serenity Prayer: The wisdom of this prayer reminds me what I can't control and what I can

Grant me the serenity,
    To accept the things I cannot change
    The courage to change the things I can
    And the wisdom to know the difference.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member

^This. Stay off the scale. Focus on restoring your mental health to balance. Deal with what you need to and concentrate on eating well and exercising. Do everything you can to put yourself first. It's important for you to take care of you and keep moving in the right direction.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Another vote for staying off the scale.
    According to your profile, it says you're 4 pounds from goal, and you've only been on MFP since January. Weight loss isn't always perfectly linear and like everyone else says, you're just adding to your stress micromanaging your scale weight.

Take a deep breath and realize this too shall pass.

Best of luck to you.
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    I can understand your frustration. I haven't gone through such a stressful week, but I still didn't lose when I knew I should this week. Its very disheartening and confusing since logically there should have Bern a loss. All we can do is keep trekking on, get back to normal, and reevaluate in a few weeks if we still haven't seen losses.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    For me, water weight can take 2-4 days of low sodium + deficit to drop. Being stressed can extend that. Stressing about being stressed can extend that. There are things you can control in life and there are things you can't. Have you considered taking a yoga class, something that can help you relax and banish the stress?
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    I'm up ~3 pounds since last week. Had a high day (including lots of sodium and ~1000 calories from alcohol) on Sunday and just finished my monthly cycle. I'm actually starting to come back down, had been up a bit more. Give it time for the temporary effects to wear off. Some things effect the scale for more than a few hours. Annoying, but give it time.

Good luck in moving past this. Change is hard but often can be a good thing.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Stop weighing yourself every day. Give yourself a week of good eating and working out, and then try the scale again. You got this and you just need to stay focused. His loss for ending things with you!
  • buddfx4
    buddfx4 Posts: 2 Member
    Sorry about your situation, your Ex is a douche. However, I agree that you should not weigh yourself everyday, that usually ends up in disappointment. I record mine once a week (Friday mornings). This lets me cheat a little on the weekends and then see my results of hitting it hard during the work week.
  • Jcornwa1
    Jcornwa1 Posts: 18
    Thanks so much guys. This thread honestly did make me feel better and more relaxed.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    It's normal to go up and down a lot, it's not linear.

Sorry about your breakup though :(
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,908 Member
    6lbs is 21,000 fat calories. So unless you consume more 21,000 fat calories (or 9333 if your looking at protein or carbs calories) over your TDEE, then chalk it up to water weight from some hormonal issues or higher sodium.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teach8pipa
    teach8pipa Posts: 3 Member
    I agree with everyone above- stress can do quite a number on us. You said you were off course for 6 days- give yourself 6 back on course days before you step back on the scale and then go from there:)