Needing a fun cardio workout. HELP!

Options
I'm needing to find a way to make my workouts more fun and enjoyable rather than just walking and riding the excercise bike while listening to music. I don't want to pay the extra money to join a gym, so I'm really not sure what that leaves the door open to. I tried playing the air guitar while riding the bike, but my husband looked at me like I was a crazy woman. Anyone have any suggestions on making workouts more fun while not looking like a crazy person?

Replies

• gupton11
    Options
    I hate cardio so I use HIIT style training for cardio. I find it goes much quicker and makes a difference in endurance and fat loss.
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    I'm starting hip hop abs and Zumba dvd's shortly :) it feels more like dancing then it does like working out so i like it :)
  • workoutqueen628
    Options
    I go to a class at my local gym called Cardio Calorie Burn. It incorporates kickboxing and a little bit of zumba at the end!! Very fun even if you don't have a lot of dance experience/coordination! If you are a member of a gym (or can find a gym closeby with cheap classes), I would try some!! They can be a lot of fun and if you get an awesome teacher, they can push you and also be very motivating. Plus, you can possibly find workout buddies. :)
  • deadeyelou
    Options
    I also use the HIIT system, that really helps me look forward to the lower intensity times so I can catch my breath and gear up for the next intense burst. Also, I wouldn't worry about looking like a crazy person -- it will be worth it when you're looking like a slim, sexy, healthy person.
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    About 8 months ago I started a "running" program (in quotes because step 1 is to work up to walking for 40 min). At first it was really hard, but now it's my favorite part of the day!

My brother really likes his Wii at home system- it really fits into college life well.

If you have Netflix, there are a bunch of instant play workout DVD's available- cardio and strength training. They aren't the "best", but they aren't bad either and if you are already paying for netflix there is no additional cost. (FYI unlimited instant play access is available on their 8.99 plan)
  • mistyvw
    Options
    If you have access to a gym, take a zumba class. If the teacher is good, the class should be packed. I've seen calsses with 10 people, and classes with 70 people, you'll know the difference. If anyone says that that they are combining Zumba with another format, they are not a certified zumba instructor and I would avoid taking classes from them. You just gotta keep trying different things until you figure out what is fun for you, but also remember to try different instructors because each one is different in teaching style, but they should all be fun and motivational.
  • TXBlockhead
    TXBlockhead Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I recommend Just Dance on the Wii! The dances are so fun, you don't even realize that you are excercising! I have been doing it for a few weeks and I LOVE IT! They are coming out w a new one tomorrow, Just Dance 2!
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    I listen to music when on the bike. I also find that using a HRM and focusing in on keeping that heartrate at a consistent level, and within my range, helps. (especially during intervals/elevations changes etc, rather than just flat). It just gives me something to concentrate on and before I know it, time is up. It also helps keep your intensity levels up.
    Also, so what about the air guitar. Air guitar away and when your husband looks at you funny, give him a "hell yea", bang ya head and shred that guitar to pieces.
  • becomingsara
    Options
    I agree with the Netflix idea. I have the 2 at a time but use the streaming program the most. Also there is exercisetv.tv and don't forget your local library. I happen to L-O-V-E kickboxing workouts and there are a couple on the netflix instant and a ton on the dvd out program.
    Hope that helps!!! Oh and brilliant idea playing air guitar while biking- I give my props to you there!!!
  • MandiPandi757
    MandiPandi757 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Zumba dvd's! They are so much fun and it's more like dancing than working out, even if you have 2 left feet, it's still a lot of fun. LOL You also burn a lot of calories while doing these dvd's too, up to 1000!! I use them once or twice a week rotating out with the treadmill and other workout dvd's. :)
  • boniekatie
    Options
    I enjoy a nice walk outside, but if you are looking for fun think of what you liked to do as a kid. Rollerskatting is good exercise, so is pumping a swing as high as you can. Play a game of tag, or tennis, or put on your favorite dance tunes and just dance, dance, dance. Go skipping in the rain or sunshine. Try vinyasa yoga or pull out some 70's music and learn to disco. Just do whatever you enjoy and don't worry about looking stupid.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    At Wal-Mart they have really cheap exercise videos of all kinds. At our local stores they are kept by the exercise equipment. I picked up Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred for $9 there and they have lots of others.
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    Options
    Rollerskatting is good exercise

We skated a couple weekends ago. First time for me in YEARS! Fun fun fun and burned tons of calories.
  • kevintk71744
    kevintk71744 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    i didn't look at you like you where crazy :P
  • kimbalee661
    kimbalee661 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have the Zumba work out DVDs too along with the abs workout. I LOVE IT!!! I also don't feel uncomfortable doing it becasue I'm in the privacy of my own home. The break down of the steps if fabulous!!!
  • justyourtypicalgirl
    justyourtypicalgirl Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Zumba Zumba Zumba Zumba Zumba Zumba. Did I mention Zumba? Oh, and Les Mill's Bodypump. I alternate these classes on my non cardio machine days. The hour goes so fast in both classes that if you weren't drenched and exhausted, you would have never known that you worked out because they are both a lot of fun.
  • miranda_king71744
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all of the responses. It definately gave me a lot of new ideas! Now I'm more excited than ever about working out! :happy:
  • miranda_king71744
    Options
    I'm just glad you were there to look at me crazy. Couldn't have done all of this without you! :love: :heart: :blushing:
  • ang2323
    ang2323 Posts: 20
    Options
    i just started on this website today but the past 3 months i have lost 30 lbs and ive been goin to zumba. i have the dvds, but if you can find a gym that does it, it is so much more fun! it keeps you goin bc your with others doin it too! good luck!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I agree that Zumba isfun. What I love most is mixed martial arts. I LOVE kickboxing, muay thai, and tae kwon do. Any martial arts program with a belt system keeps motivation up, but it's also empowering and practical (self defense).

At my fitness club, we have Fight Club which is intense!!