What to expect at first dietician appt??

Nmama
Nmama Posts: 191 Member
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So my Dr referred me to a dietician in my medical group. I have to bring a 3 day log of food (thank you MFP!). What else can I expect on a first visit? If you've seen one, what was your first appt like? Do you weigh in? Do they track your weight and such?

Replies

• MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    I only saw one twice. Once was for what they call a nutritional evaluation where they go over your food logs and make suggestions for how to improve and the other was over the phone just to get some ideas for changes to my diet to up my protein. Yes, I got weighed in at the first appointment.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    My experience was that they requested a weeks worth of food diaries, a list of allergies, and a list of medications. They did weigh me the first visit. We talked about eatting habits and how to change them, and of course a slew of take home information on how to eat healthier. We also discussed a goal weight and a strategy on how to get there. The second visit (after 2 weeks) was another request for a weeks worth of food diaries, and another weigh in. We discussed the changes that had been made, and did a few little tweeks to the suggested eatting schedule.

I wasn't eatting badly, I just wasn't eatting enough. Worked too much, didn't sleep enough, and ate once a day. I was living in starvation mode for years and had to actually set an alarm for a while to remind myself to eat. I am almost 3 months into the changed eatting schedule, moderate activity and a higher protein diet. I have lost 28 pounds so far and feeling better than I have in years.

The two visits to the dietician was worth it to me.
This discussion has been closed.