Ok to do trail 5K race if no trail running experience?

Options
I am interested in getting in a 5K race (in a week) in which more than half is trail running.
While I have been road running for the past year, I have not done any trail running.

Is it ok to do the 5K race (probably won't be able to try trail run before the race)?
Anything I need to be careful of?

thanks

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I am interested in getting in a 5K race (in a week) in which more than half is trail running.
    While I have been road running for the past year, I have not done any trail running.

Is it ok to do the 5K race (probably won't be able to try trail run before the race)?
    Anything I need to be careful of?

thanks

Not sure of your running background, but you should be fine. I ran one of my fastest 5K's on a similar course and my fastest 1/2 marathon was all "cross-country" and I don't train run.......at all.
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You'll probably be ok. You should just be aware when on uneven ground to avoid turning an ankle or something.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Be careful for:
    roots
    rocks
    bad footing
    steep ups and downs

depending on the course, those can all be much worse on a trail than a sidewalk ;)
    Even worse once your 3 or 4 KM into the race!
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine, but you might need to slow your pace a bit. If you've got time for a final long run this weekend, tag 10 minutes on the end and try to get in some hills and off-track running where you can. I ran out of steam at around 4K in my first 5K trail race when I'd only trained on roads!
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Do it! :-) Just be sure and watch your footing on the trail portion and slow your pace as necessary.
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just keep your eyes on the trail and you will be fine... I had a 5k trail run in march... 1/4 of the course was under water because of heavy HEAVY reain for about 36 hrs before the race.. I just walked through the water logged portions.

It was a lot of fun.. and NO I don't train on trails... Just streets and treadmill!
  • actlc
    actlc Posts: 84
    Options
    Hi all, thanks for the advice.
  • girlcalledryan
    girlcalledryan Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Trail running is SUPER fun, and trail training can be too. You will be fine to do this race, but some advice: if you can go check out the trails you will be running on first, do! If not, in the race info it should note if it is a technical course, single track, or groomed trails. In my experience, the races that have some trails are usually groomed, if that's the case just keep an eye on what the ground looks like, watch for roots and loose rocks. Technical trails are usually more chalenging with more roots, puddles, that kind of thing. And single track means you will be racing single file. the trail is only wide enough for one runner, usually with limited room to pass.

I hope you enjoy the race, and seek out some more trails in your future.