So disgusted with myself

Options
13»

Replies

• RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I have been at this for a month. The decision to cut out meat was easy for me. I honestly just don't like meat, I never have. Even as a child my mother would try ram it down my mouth. It just made me sick. I don't like the smell. I am ok with no dairy as I figured it would be a good move to cut it out.

When I stopped eating meat last year, I gained weight. This is probably because I was eating too much while trying to adjust my diet to make sure I had enough protein.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    WIth your job, losing weight will be tough for this reason (among others): WATER WATER WATER is key to weight loss (At least in my experience). But with WATER WATER WATER also comes the need (and sometimes urgent need) to use the bathroom. I assume you don't have those kind of "facilities" in your cab - and your hubby might get irritated if you have to stop every 15 minutes to pee... so, I would recommend drinking as much as you can when you're stopped somewhere for awhile and on your days off.

Also, you'll want to watch your sodium intake. Even if you're losing fat, higher sodium can lead to more water retention, which makes the scale stay stubborn (even though it's water not fat that's keep the scale "stuck").

Good luck figuring out how to make this work into your schedule. I'm sure there is a way - you'll just need to get creative :)
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    Well I'm having a mental picture of my husband laughing at a 53 year old woman trying to jump rope.

That is cute but I'm concerned you have not absorbed all the good advice you've been given. Simply put, its not so much WHAT you eat, its HOW MUCH you eat. Unless you weigh your solid foods, measure your liquids and stick to a decent calorie deficit, you won't lose weight.

Will you consider following MFP guidelines for setting a daily calorie amount?
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Well I'm having a mental picture of my husband laughing at a 53 year old woman trying to jump rope.
    my husband is 51 and is awesome at jumping rope!! He can do double unders!
  • Barbsunshine7
    Barbsunshine7 Posts: 2,693 Member
    Options
    OTR truckers...this hit home for me! My ex was a trucker and I joined him on the road for 6 months. My weight ballooned and it was so hard to eat right and get any type of exercise in. When we would park for the evening, if it was a safe area and enough light, I would take a walk around the lot. By the time 6 months was up I was done! This was 4 years ago and I'm still having a time with losing the weight. At 53 I'm having a tougher time than when I was younger. I have gotten stronger with working out but getting pounds off and getting into smaller size clothing hasn't happened.

Friend me if you like and we can get through this together!
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    First of all please don't be disgusted with yourself, I don't know you but you are a beautiful human being that needs help, and this is the first step to getting it.

My advice-

1. Forget everything you know about dieting, you need to re-educate yourself and the people on these boards are the right people to learn from.
    2. Dieting is as simple as creating a calorie deficit. Your body burns x amount of calories per day, you need to either eat less than that number, or you need to exercise and burn calories to help.
    3. Removing any food that you love from your diet is a big no no and is a great way to fail a diet. Cutting out protein especially is a bad idea. Protein is essential for building muscle and also helps you feel more satisfied when eating a meal.
    4. Count the calories. Every bit of food you consume has a number associated with it, and even if you eat out most restaurants and fast food companies post nutritional information on their foods via their website. Fitness pal also has an amazing database for all types of foods from restaurants all the way to grocery stores.
    5. hit the gym or walk around the block. If you only walked 10,000 steps per day you'd be amazed how much weight you could trim. Buy a cheap pedometer and try walking around the neighborhood. Avoid Gym'timidation, just getting active and walking more is a great start.
    6. Track Track Track, if you have a smart phone or a computer you have access to fitness pal and it's huge database and tracking system. If you stick to this and are honest about your portions and calories you will lose weight.
    7. You're here reading this post, that's the best start to improving your situation, you can do it.
  • laura_802
    laura_802 Posts: 16
    Options
    I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. My weight has exploded over the last year. (40lbs) I am 5ft 3 and my BMI is 29 .A month ago I cut all meat and dairy out of my diet. No fast foods, no sodas. I have been trying to understand the macrobiotic diet (yin yang). I am enjoying the diet itself, but am so discouraged by the scale. I'm thinking I should stop torturing myself and just throw the damn scale away. I will admit to my faults that my exercise input isn't anything to write home about. About a year ago my husband and I started a new business which has caused the weight gain. We are over the road truckers. Sitting all day, I swear I can feel my stomach exploding as each hour tics by. I am driving at 9 day intervals, so when I get home I get on the treadmill for about 35 mins every morning. I am down to one pair of pants, and even they are feeling uncomfortable. I was praying that this diet would be "life changing everything will be wonderful" I'm wrong. Can anyone help me get through this? Am I just not giving it enough time.? I eat miso soup, beans, lentils, grains and oats. Lots of veggies and water /green tea. I do eat fish cpl times a week No sweeties.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a fairly thick skin so don't be scared to say I'm a lame *kitten*.

Don't try to take on too much at once!! Cutting out meat, dairy, fast food etc all at once will be a shock to the system. You could first try to cut out just fast food and swap the meat you eat for a leaner cut? Try that for a month and then make another small change.

Try counting your calories as well. Work out how many you normally eat and then reduce it by about 300 and aim for that every day. Don't reduce it too much at once or you will be constantly hungry.

Don't give up!!!
  • tmj4477
    tmj4477 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Along with all of the other suggestions you've got to keep in mind that it took a year to put on 40 pounds and it might take you that long to get it off.

Don't despair everything worthwhile takes time!
  • LuvDarkChocolate
    LuvDarkChocolate Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I really do appreciate all of the great suggestions. I haven't really cut out a lot of bad things. I would say the biggest things would be sweets. Heck I just don't need them that bad where I'm crying myself to sleep every night. I am reading your comments. I am listening.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Doing your macrobiotic diet is all well and good but if you're at a calorie surplus then you're going to keep gaining, no matter how 'healthy' you're eating. Get your calories under control and you'll see progress.

Note to add: Make sure those calories meat your macro and micro needs as well.
  • katherineduweck
    katherineduweck Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Oh lisalou, I feel so much empathy for you, and it breaks my heart to see another woman going thru this. I'm 33 years old, been struggling with being very overweight and devastating eating disorders since I was a young child, and I have hurt myself so much over the years feeling angry and weak and disgusted with myself. I've been thru multiple weight loss programs, any diet under the sun, and even had a personal trainer. From my heart, woman to woman, please know that anything I say here is rooted in compassion.

Be kind to yourself. Life changes. Our bodies change over time. It took a year to put on that weight, and it will take time to come off. If you focus on balance, staying within your daily calorie goal, and exercising when you can, you're on the right path. Any consistent effort will make a difference.

Drinking water and green tea is great. When you're on the road, can you pack a cooler of fruits, veggies, or other high-water content, low calorie snacks? Measuring them ahead of time so you know each bag contains 1/2c of a snack? Can you bring a pair of 5lb. dumbbells in your overnight bag to get a couple short sets in before bed or first thing in the morning? Building muscle mass will burn calories and help keep your metabolism higher while you're sedentary on the road.

It's only been a month, and the most important thing is that you started and you're not giving up. Be kind to yourself. Be your own biggest fan! :) And come to us for sort and ideas. People who understand your plight won't give up on you. You don't give up on you, either. :)
  • shmulyeng
    shmulyeng Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I can't even look at myself in the mirror anymore. My weight has exploded over the last year. (40lbs) I am 5ft 3 and my BMI is 29 .A month ago I cut all meat and dairy out of my diet. No fast foods, no sodas. I have been trying to understand the macrobiotic diet (yin yang). I am enjoying the diet itself, but am so discouraged by the scale. I'm thinking I should stop torturing myself and just throw the damn scale away. I will admit to my faults that my exercise input isn't anything to write home about. About a year ago my husband and I started a new business which has caused the weight gain. We are over the road truckers. Sitting all day, I swear I can feel my stomach exploding as each hour tics by. I am driving at 9 day intervals, so when I get home I get on the treadmill for about 35 mins every morning. I am down to one pair of pants, and even they are feeling uncomfortable. I was praying that this diet would be "life changing everything will be wonderful" I'm wrong. Can anyone help me get through this? Am I just not giving it enough time.? I eat miso soup, beans, lentils, grains and oats. Lots of veggies and water /green tea. I do eat fish cpl times a week No sweeties.. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have a fairly thick skin so don't be scared to say I'm a lame *kitten*.

The only thing about your post I agree with is the part about stopping to torture yourself. There's no reason to make so many drastic cuts in your lifestyle at once. Take it easy. Start tracking calories and figure out what works for you. Also, if you drive for 9 days, why only walk when you get home? I assume there are plenty of roads where you drive. Take along your running shoes and walk every day.
  • dmartinez1307
    Options
    I am 21, 5'4, weighing in at 220 pounds ???? I am currently taking in around 1000-1100 calories a day and needing to start my running and HIIT! Any suggestions!?! I plan on losing 60+ pounds in 5-6 months! Is it do-able!?! Please help me ????
  • ProjectMe73
    Options
    Thanks for these links!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions would be appreciated.

First, work on the mental issue of being disgusted with yourself. If you constantly see the worst of yourself, you will never see any of the good.

Next, put in a year of consistent work and then come back and measure yourself. Seriously. People will get them self out of shape over years of neglect then worry about seeing little or no change over a few weeks or months. If you have heavy fat on your body it could be your first losses won't even be seen or noticed. Just keep doing the right things and you WILL make progress. The only way people don't make progress is they under-estimate calories they are eating (not logging everything or measuring portions), or they over-estimate their calories burned each day.

Good luck! You can do it!
  • smbecht78
    smbecht78 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Use the scale as a tool so weight doesnt creep back on but truthfully use a tape measure and see results that way. How are you eating on the road? I wouldl think that would be the most challenging. Make sure you are eating enough or your body may freak out and store everything you eat because it is not use to a reduction. Your body needs a certain amount of calories a day to maintain. Also when you are on the road when you stop for brief breaks walk/run around the truck or other quick exercises. Every little bit helps. Good Luck!

I agree with this COMPLETELY!!!! I am only down (since restarting) 5 pounds, but I'm down 8.8 inches. And the biggest thing is hitting that calorie mark!!!! It really does make a difference. Keeping your body out of starvation mode is key to burning. IMO

-Shan
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    . About a year ago my husband and I started a new business which has caused the weight gain.

No. Eatiing more than your body is burning caused the weight gain,