Working in China for 4 weeks

Options
I'm off to work in China for 4 weeks. I'm hoping to exercise daily....but the key thing will be figuring out how to record all the food on MFP! Looking for some inspiration so that I can maybe lose a few pounds while I'm away. Apparently the Chinese wine is very strong and not like NorthAmerican wine so that saves some calories there. Let me know your thoughts....and ideas for my big trip.

Replies

• sslin2535
    Options
    You definitely will lose weight while in China, the food you eat will be much healthier than here. And also you will be walking a lot. Don't think you'll ever gain any weight while in China.
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    Try to find nutrition facts for common nightmarket foods before you go! I am living in Taiwan and it is hard to find the nutrition facts of a lot of the food here. I Google a lot, and usually can get the calories, but not anything else.

Also the Nutrition label is ordered differently than in America. It shows calories, then protein, then fat, sat. fat, trans fat, then carbs, then sodium. I am pretty sure the labels in China will be the same way. You will probably walk a lot more, too! Have fun in China!
  • Sparklewolfie
    Options
    You definitely will lose weight while in China, the food you eat will be much healthier than here. And also you will be walking a lot. Don't think you'll ever gain any weight while in China.

Obesity is actually on the rise in China too:tongue: Food USED to be healthier in Asia in general, but richer countries start getting crappier food and now there is a lot of fried and oily foods everywhere too, along with pre-packaged microwave meals and fast food chains:grumble: A 便當/bento/lunchbox usually has between 600-900+ calories! And sugary drinks (like Taiwan's infamous bubble tea) are common and pack around 200-350 calories each:noway:

Giving up my daily bubble tea was the hardest thing for me :sad: but for my health, it is worth it!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Options
    Where in China will you be? I was in Beijing for 3 weeks in Feb 2008 and loved it. I did a lot of walking. It was easier than trying to communicate with my limited Mandarin most of the time. The subway was fairly easy to use though. Besides that, the palaces, temples, parks and so on are so big there that most of them take a good few hours to walk around. I spent 4 hours in the Forbidden City and still didn't see all of it!

I agree with sparklewolfie. Look up as much nutrition info as you can before you go so you are as prepared as you can be to make healthy choices while you're there. Try to avoid eating too much rice and look out for the twice cooked pork belly!