Squat /booty progress

Options
ive been squatting for 5 months now and in before and after pictures from the side, there is definitely a difference in how much my bum sticks out. i have a square-ish bum so in the before and after pictures of my butt from behind, it kind of looks the same. is there anything i can do to fix my squared bum?

Replies

• Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    A more well rounded glute training routine. (total pun intended) Your glutes are made up of three muscle groups. Other than squats, are you doing anything to target your glutes? Some exercises that come to mind are: hip thrusts, glute bridges, fire hydrants, donkey kicks, step ups... Surely there are more out there.

I just picked up a copy of Strong Curves from Bret Contreras (self proclaimed Glute guy) There is a sample PDF of the book out on the interwebs.
    Another book I've heard about is the Butt Bible by Pauline Nordine.
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    A more well rounded glute training routine. (total pun intended) Your glutes are made up of three muscle groups. Other than squats, are you doing anything to target your glutes?

This. Squats are amazing, but not everything. Do other exercises that work the upper butt/lower back, side butt, and hamstrings as well.

Check out Brazil Butt Lift- it's super cheesy (IMO) but I tried a couple of their exercises and it is no joke.

Also remember to focus/squeeze your butt when you're doing any exercise to give it an extra workout.

Good luck!
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    Gotta do more than squats.
    Bret Contreras is the Glute Guy.
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Gotta do more than squats.
    Bret Contreras is the Glute Guy.
    http://bretcontreras.com/
    http://www.youtube.com/user/bretcontreras1

QFT!!!!!!! I've been doing Strong Curves for 6 weeks now while bulking and my butt is pretty awesome. *pats self on back* Glute bridges/hip thrusts are da bomb.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Mine is very round from just squats and deadlifts...it was square and "flat" 6 months ago.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    ive been squatting for 5 months now and in before and after pictures from the side, there is definitely a difference in how much my bum sticks out. i have a square-ish bum so in the before and after pictures of my butt from behind, it kind of looks the same. is there anything i can do to fix my squared bum?

When you say you've been squatting for 5 months have you been using a barbell with progressive overload or just bodyweight squats? Cuz that would definitely make a difference. Bodyweight squats will only get you so far. You gotta add a bar and weights and keep increasing. Judging from your photos you might also want to look into bulking/cutting as you look pretty lean and could add some muscle.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I know that I've seen some good shape come from heavy squats and deadlifts, but I also throw in things like back extension, walking lunges, good mornings, and hip thrusts. Actually, I think I've seen more improvement with shape adding hip thrusts in just once a week. Getting ready to start Strong Curves next week and will be taking lots of before photos and measurements to see what my tangible results are.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    progressive loading squats
    Progressive loading deadlifts
    barbell bridge lifts
    hammy raises
    walking lunges
    back leg lift's are great too- I do a walking version- do a lunge- and instead of just stepping straight through- lift the back leg up- (straight leg) do a lift/pulse at the top- then step through to the next lunge- repeat.
    nails the top of the glute/low back.
  • DymonNdaRgh40
    DymonNdaRgh40 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    barbell bridge lifts
    hammy raises
    walking lunges
    back leg lift's are great too- I do a walking version- do a lunge- and instead of just stepping straight through- lift the back leg up- (straight leg) do a lift/pulse at the top- then step through to the next lunge- repeat.

Thanks for listing these. I'm always looking for more stuff to work the booty.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    barbell bridge lifts
    hammy raises
    walking lunges

This

and you could also add side and curtsey lunges, and the swimmers exercise which works your back and glutes. Working the back will also help with overall appearance of glutes.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options

Ooo, I like this. Will do. Body weight or do you carry dumbbells as well? I usually do walking lunges with weights.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Ooo, I like this. Will do. Body weight or do you carry dumbbells as well? I usually do walking lunges with weights.
    short answer
    no

long answer:
    no
    I don't do these for weight- I usually do them as a set between- so my rotation is typically like this
    Set 1
    Walking lunges forward + walking lunges backwards with weight
    Walking back lift lunge - no weight
    box jump- no weight

Set 2
    Walking lunges forward + walking lunges backwards with weight
    Walking back lift lunge- no weight
    box jump- no weight

You could- but I find doing them as a "filler" exercise between lunges and box jumps- I'm actually usually fairly huffy/puffy- they move quicker so you are getting more of an interval aspect from them than a strength thing- plus there is a balance issues at hand- I keep my hands in front of me and you have to take a slight tip forward at the waist (angle if you will- but not bending) to release backwards.

Never felt like a weight was going to get me anywhere honestly.
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone for the tips!
  • wargrrl
    wargrrl Posts: 76 Member
    Options

When you say you've been squatting for 5 months have you been using a barbell with progressive overload or just bodyweight squats? Cuz that would definitely make a difference. Bodyweight squats will only get you so far. You gotta add a bar and weights and keep increasing. Judging from your photos you might also want to look into bulking/cutting as you look pretty lean and could add some muscle.

ive been squatting with barbell currently squatting 135lbs

i also deadlift but with dumbbells

my other glute/leg exercises are hip abductions, hyper extensions, and barbell lunges
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Squat
    Leg
    Press
    Lunges
    Squat
    Leg Press
    Lunges
    Squat
    Leg Press
    Lunges

Deadlift
    Deadlift
    Deadlift

Skip the fufu alternative accessory glute exercises and apply those sets to more squat, leg presses, and lunges. Glutes do not need to be hit from a dozen angles to grow.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I also reccomend Hip thrusts with barbell/plates, and Strong Curves: bretcontreras.com
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    In for the suggestions :-)
  • seidel1325
    seidel1325 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My go to booty firmer is "curtis p's"....they will smoke your legs and build your butt, plus they work your shoulders. I do the SEALFIT version (demo on you tube). Do a 100 of these 1X/week...it takes about 45-60 minutes
  • Firehawk734
    Firehawk734 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Deep squats (deeper the better), use those glutes to get out of the hole,
    Reverse Hyper extensions (although most gyms don't have this)
    Dumbbell Swings (deep)
    And all the other suggestions people mentioned
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Reverse Hyper extensions (although most gyms don't have this)

Thank you for that! That one is new to me (and you're right, my gym doesn't have it--but I googled and found that it can be rigged up with a ball and a bench, if anyone's interested).