C25K Stories?

Options
This is a program I'm really interested in but have a real hard time doing. If i run for more then 30 seconds i get really out of breath. I don't hurt..other then my lungs. What was it like when you started the program?

Replies

• kspeach
    kspeach Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I was like that. I did a 'sub-week', with 30 second intervals of running. We are not far off in size.

I also talked to my doctor and she gave me an inhaler to use if I need it. I've never had asthma before, but I've also never been this overweight and exercised before. I don't get it on the elliptical or bike; only running.

The first steps are the hardest! Keep it up....I never believed I could do this, and I'm finished with week 4 (although I'm repeating it so I'm not too tired for my 5K on Saturday...run/walk), AND I did a 20 minute run after my W3D3 workout, in my post cool down. You can do it!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    How fast are you running? The biggest thing that I had to learn was to pace myself. I thought I could go faster but ended up not being able to finish the workout. The third (and successful) time that I did the program I run slower than I wanted to but was able to finish. From everything that I've read you should focus on your endurance first and then work on your speed. Good luck!
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    Options
    I've told my story so many times, I expect people are tired of hearing it! Since you asked..... I started in a group class that was based off the C25K. I totally sucked it up. I could hardly run the 30 seconds and I often had to repeat weeks when the rest of the group moved on. I was dead last all the time and embarrassed at my inability to do it. I just told myself that the class started with 50 and ended with 23 so I was not last, but the first loser. The class ended with a 5K and I was able to run the first mile and that was it, the rest was intervals like in the class. After that, I just wouldnt quit. I did other cardio during the week and would run as far as I could on Sundays, before long... I hit three miles.

It took FIVE months, not 10 weeks.

Now I'm training for a 10k and I've learned a few things...
    1. Slow down. When I fell like I'm going to die I'm usually going to fast. I will "run" at 14 miles an hour before I stop.
    2. Repeat training weeks if needed.
    3. Listen to my body and don't try to do too much. Take my rest days and don't feel bad about it.
    4. It's hard!

And yes, my lungs felt like they were falling out. So bad, I went to the doctor to have my heart/lungs checked out. Turns out I was OK, just far from in the right shape to get very far. Stick with it, give it time and you'll do it!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Not sure how fast..
  • thisonesforme
    Options
    I do each week twice. And I agree with another poster its not about speed...its movement....so even if a jog is almost as slow as a fast walk thats ok. Take it one interval at a time and dont worry about the next one.
  • AnnieeR
    AnnieeR Posts: 229
    Options
    I'd really recommend it - I used to be a runner but let myself get VERY out of shape. This programme got me back into it!! I actually never finished it - I got to week 8 and had a week's holiday and when I went back to the gym I felt like the programme had sort of taught me to do it on my own if that makes sense so I eased my way back up to a 30 minute jog and now I'm focusing purely on speed, form, and distance for a bit. But I would have really struggled without C25K - it really works!!
  • katapple
    katapple Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25K!! I did it 18 months ago, and I am now training for a half marathon.

I HATED running and the program for the first 6 weeks...eventually I fell in love with it. I enjoy my running time, because it's just me, and the road, I don't have kids crawling all over me, and house that needs to be cleaned...just me and my music. Running has become part of who I am and relaxes me when I'm stressed.

I used the podcasts from www.kissmyblackass.org and it really helped keep me motivated. iPod also has an app that you can play right over your own music that will tell you when to run and walk. Pay attention to your breathing, if you're huffing and puffing, slow down. It doesn't matter how fast you get there, as long as you finish, right? Practice belly breathing, it really has helped me with side aches and calming my heart rate down.

You CAN and you WILL do this, running is 90% mental, once you get over that, you'll have a life long friend :)
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    When I first started running, I would pace my breathing with my steps. I found out that a comfortable inhale/exhale pattern for me was 3 steps each, so I'd breath in, step 1, 2, 3, breath out, step 1, 2, 3. It also gave me something to focus on during my run and made it much easier. You have to really focus on your breathing - I have found that is my biggest setback to running as well. Good luck and good for you for trying it!
  • thisonesforme
    Options
    also-- I downloaded (for free) the C25K program off itunes by robert Ullery...cool running.com has a great community and a lot of support for this . The itunes download tells you when to run when to walk all to music.
  • golfbrew_matt
    golfbrew_matt Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I loved the C25K!! I did it 18 months ago, and I am now training for a half marathon.

I HATED running and the program for the first 6 weeks...eventually I fell in love with it. I enjoy my running time, because it's just me, and the road, I don't have kids crawling all over me, and house that needs to be cleaned...just me and my music. Running has become part of who I am and relaxes me when I'm stressed.

I used the podcasts from www.kissmyblackass.org and it really helped keep me motivated. iPod also has an app that you can play right over your own music that will tell you when to run and walk. Pay attention to your breathing, if you're huffing and puffing, slow down. It doesn't matter how fast you get there, as long as you finish, right? Practice belly breathing, it really has helped me with side aches and calming my heart rate down.

You CAN and you WILL do this, running is 90% mental, once you get over that, you'll have a life long friend :)

I also use the kissmyblackass.org podcasts, they are excellent. I had been working out for about 15 weeks before starting the c25k program (mind you, I am still 30 lbs from my goal weight and far from being in good shape) so the first week seemed a little easy so I tried week 3's routine for my second run and that also wasn't too bad so this morning I did the week 4 routine, I think this is about perfect for me now as it was challenging but still attainable. I hope I don't regret the fast forwarding in the future but only time will tell! :) I'm planning on keeping up with the program starting week 4 day 2 for the next run and going from there. I can't wait until I can run an entire 5k!

Good luck to you all.
  • kennedar
    kennedar Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    I have never in my life been able to run. Even as a child, I could not complete the 12 minute runs and such that they make you do in gym class. I HATED it with a passion!! I started C25K about 6 weeks ago, maybe a little less, and I am loving it. It took me almost 3 weeks to finish week 1. I forced myself to run each run and not stop until it told me to so I was "running" at a slower pace than most people walk, but I finished! Once the first week seemed easy, I moved to the second week. That one was much easier and only took me a week to finish. I just finished my first week 3 workout yesterday and feel awesome. I found the hardest part was the first week, after that it was much easier. If you had told me when I started that I would run for 3 minutes without stopping, I would have said you were crazy but I did it last night twice!