How can i make vegetables more versatile

Options
2»

Replies

• FrontBoard
    Options
    A few things my wife and I have been doing lately:

Make zucchini noodles. Blend an avocado with some garlic, lime, and salt to make a creamy sauce for them.

Cook a sweet potato, scoop out the guts, and smash with some butter to have easy mashed sweet potatoes. You can do this with any potato really.

Make personal-sized tostadas or bowls using tostada shells, tostada bowls, or just some tortilla chips. Add refried beans, romaine lettuce hearts, tomato, black olive, green onion, and some taco sauce, salsa, hot sauce, etc.

More basic veggie sides we use are sauteed Brussels sprouts (w/ very little oil), steamed cauliflower, corn on the cob (yum!), roasted peppers (just put them under the broiler), sliced/diced fresh roma tomato with a bit of salt, sauteed yellow and green squash, roasted or sauteed okra, steamed carrots (maybe w/ a little butter), or simple spinach salads with just dressing and maybe some sunflower seeds or pepitas.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    If I didn't cook with with the oil and used cooking spay with that make them taste terrible.

Also how do you cook your squash....I tried cooking it once. I can't remember how, I just remember it didn't taste very good...so I imagine i tasted it wrong

Spray works fine, oil is better - don't be afraid of oils you need some fats in your diet...

Cut spaghetti squash the long way in half - gut it, then place face up in a shallow pan with water, roast until you can fork it easily and then remove and cool. Use a fork to scrap the meat from the shell. You can then use as pasta with a variety of sauces and add meat and/or other veggies as well, or just add tomato and basil and shredded cheese! Yum!

Edited to clarify - 'gut it' means get rid of the seeds.

I roast mine face down- comes out great- I've tried both ways- I prefer face down- so do what you will- up or down- doesn't matter.

:) I drizzle a little oil and some S/P/Garlic Salt sprinkled and just roast away- delicious.