Do you enjoy subway?

Options

Replies

• DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    There's nothing like going down on a 12" double meat... it's so fulfilling.
  • leslie345
    leslie345 Posts: 10
    Options
    Make sure you know what's in your food. Here's an article about one of the ingredients in Subway's bread. It is my understanding that they will be eliminating this chemical this week, but the fact they thought it was ok in the first place is despicable. If it is fast and cheap, it's probably full of something you don't want!

http://foodbabe.com/subway/
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I never ever ever go to Subway. There are literally dozens of sandwich shops within a 1/2 mile radius of my local Subway, all of them owned locally and they use higher quality meats, breads and cheeses. I won't even go to cash in on a free sandwich there (I happened to come across a coupon yesterday, threw it out).
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Processed meats have a pretty clear association with disease, though there is no conclusive evidence that they cause disease and there is much debate over why the link exists.

Personally, I don't think it's necessarily unhealthy but nor do I think it's the healthiest fast food available.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    In because someone is going to mention it's like eating a yoga mat...

I eat at Subway occasionally with friends. It's good if you watch the toppings and sauces. It's better than fast food. I usually ask for salt/pepper, honey mustard, no mayo and lots of veggies.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The Subway NI is readily available, so you can see what you're getting and decide if you think it's healthy.

If you like it, eat it. They don't have swiss cheese anymore, so I stopped going there. Plus, I've found other places make better-tasting subs.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Yep, that's on page 1
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    Is it pretty healthy? Not just cal wise. I tend to eat it about 3 times a week.

I either eat the turkey, tom, lettuce, onion, and sweet onion sauce on wheat bread (320 cal) or when I have the cals I will have the roast beef, lettuce , tom, light mayo on wheat (470). Sometimes a bag of baked chips.

I do this during the week when I am working if I am tired of grilled chicken and cauliflower. Its reasonable and the best "fast food" I can think of. BTW all 6 inches

Nothing inherently wrong with subway. I eat it from time to time when I'm rushed and can't make my own lunch. But six inches is never enough to satisfy me, I have to go whole hog.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options

Yep, that's on page 1

Shucks..too late..
  • cmay89
    cmay89 Posts: 337 Member
    Options

I either eat the turkey, tom, lettuce, onion, and sweet onion sauce on wheat bread (320 cal) or when I have the cals I will have the roast beef, lettuce , tom, light mayo on wheat (470). Sometimes a bag of baked chips.

I do this during the week when I am working if I am tired of grilled chicken and cauliflower. Its reasonable and the best "fast food" I can think of. BTW all 6 inches
    [
    Nothing inherently wrong with subway. I eat it from time to time when I'm rushed and can't make my own lunch. But six inches is never enough to satisfy me, I have to go whole hog.

^^this
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    Wtf...subway has a variety of fresh cut raw veggies just sitting there saying "pick me".

The only way that's NOT healthy is to intentionally mess it up. That's entirely on the patron, not subway...
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    IMO Subway has gone WAY downhill the last few years.

I remember when they first opened their first store in my hometown (circa probably late-80s), the bread was fresh, the meat looked fresh, the veggies looked fresh, etc. Their sandwiches actually had flavor.

Now, their bread(s) taste like cardboard, the meat looks slimy and the veggies look rotten (barely red tomatoes, wilted/brown lettuce and spinach, etc).

I'll eat there in a pinch, but it's certainly not my first, second, or even tenth choice.
  • kwantlen2051
    kwantlen2051 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I eat an egg white american cheese flat bread loaded with veggies 2 mornings a week. Since I have a history of high blood pressure and heart disease in my family, I have to track my sodium, so I make sure that on days I have subway, I keep my other processed and higher sodium foods to a minimum.

So far, so good.

Yes, egg white with cheese with lots of veggies on flatbread once a week, please and thanks. This is around 400 calories so I adjust elsewhere to fit this in.
  • AJL_Daddy
    AJL_Daddy Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Had Subway for lunch. 6-inch Veggie Delite. Only 1/2 the bread (proud of that). No Cheese. No Sauce. I just had no Lettuce, Spinach, or Cucumbers. Everything else (Tomatoes, Green Peppers, Banana Peppers, Black Olives, Jalapenos, Onions, and Pickes). Yum!

ETA: I sometimes eat their breakfast sandwiches, too. 3-inch Flat Bread - Steak, Egg, and Cheese. Shredded Cheese. Egg Whites. Add Onions and Green Peppers.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options

+1 :laugh:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I think it's fine and I like knowing how many calories are in my food, but frankly last time I bought some nice rolls and made my own and it was just much better (although of course it means having a lot of extra bread at home). I agree that their bread just tastes like cardboard to me.
  • leslie345
    leslie345 Posts: 10
    Options

Yep, that's on page 1

Shucks..too late..

I apologize. I figured that since this is a nutrition website that people should be informed of just how "nutritious" their food is - especially when advertised as "healthy." I didn't mean to annoy anyone.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Subway works. McDonalds works. Everything works. Track the calories. "Healthy" and "weightloss" are separate. I lost over 100 lbs and had subway regularly. I gained some back, and am losing again with subway.

Another fantastic option is Wendy's chili. Fairly low calorie (180 cal/small), and filling.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't eat out often and eat "fast food" even more rarely. Subway is usually my choice if I do have to do fast food...which is usually on a road trip or something, but I make far better sandwiches for just day to day eating and whatnot.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    If it fits your macros, it's healthy.

I'm not a huge fan of it, myself, but not because I don't think it's healthy. I just don't think it's all that tasty and I have to be in a special kind of mood to want it.