Macros vs calorie counting vs winging it

Options
DCarney
DCarney Posts: 38 Member
I am looking to lean out some more and would like some suggestions from people and what worked for them. I counted calories initially because I was looking to lose weight. I do not want to lose any more weight but definitely need to tone up some more. I have been maintaining a paleo-type diet and nutritionally, it works for me. I am interested in moving towards a macro-based plan but really need to do more research on that. Any help is welcomed!

Replies

• Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you are looking to recomp, you will need to focus on weight training. If that is the case, I would recommend a 35%p / 35%c / 30%f, split.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Why not stay with the Paleo plan and eat less while paying attention to macros? You do not need to completely "change plans".
  • DCarney
    Options
    Yep! I have been weight training but think my ratios were off. For the past month I haven't been counting anything and I need to get back on track!
    If you are looking to recomp, you will need to focus on weight training. If that is the case, I would recommend a 35%p / 35%c / 30%f, split.
  • DCarney
    Options
    Why not stay with the Paleo plan and eat less while paying attention to macros? You do not need to completely "change plans".
    I plan on sticking with Paleo. I have been doing it a long time and it works for me. The problem seems to lie in "what" I am eating though. Like the other person who posted said, I probable need to change my ratios. I will give that a whirl and see where it takes me. Thanks!
  • AHill842
    AHill842 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Calories are just that, calories. Once a person figures out there BMR they tend to focus on only hittimg that target number with no propurtional nutrition in mind. I see it with some of my family members. They eat 1500 clories of processed junk and wonder why they are starving shortly after dinner. I honestly pay attention to both. Every meal I consume, macros are on my mind. I want carbs, protein, and fat at every meal, including snacks. I constantly check my overall day to make sure I'm around my target goal with calories and my macros...Of course I'm not always right on target :)
  • najatmarie
    najatmarie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've been following IIFYM and I love it. I eat pretty much clean all day and save my "dessert" for my treat meal but without all the guilt. It allows me to still enjoy my favorite foods (aka peanut/crack butter haha) and froyo with some candies or whatever my little heart desires without feeling bad. It's definitely helped change my whole outlook on eating. When I strictly ate clean I would get urges to binge because I constantly told myself I couldn't have something and then I'd binge and then I'd feel awful about myself and restrict or workout to the point of pure exhaustion. IIFYM has helped me gain a healthier relationship with food & I never get the urge to binge anymore.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Well, tracking macros and tracking calories are essentially the same thing since each macro has a set number of calories associated with it.

Fat: 9
    Protein: 4
    Carb: 4
    Alcohol: 7
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

Why would you recommend this macro split?
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    I am looking to lean out some more and would like some suggestions from people and what worked for them. I counted calories initially because I was looking to lose weight. I do not want to lose any more weight but definitely need to tone up some more. I have been maintaining a paleo-type diet and nutritionally, it works for me. I am interested in moving towards a macro-based plan but really need to do more research on that. Any help is welcomed!

If you enjoy eating a "paleo based diet" thats fine. You don't have to alter anything per say.

Find your TDEE and set up your macros according to your goals.

www.IIFYM.com

Hit your minimum protein & fats, and then spread the rest of calories how you see fit.
  • DCarney
    Options

If you enjoy eating a "paleo based diet" thats fine. You don't have to alter anything per say.

www.IIFYM.com

Hit your minimum protein & fats, and then spread the rest of calories how you see fit.

I found my TDEE to be 1941. What would you recommend as a split for leaning out? I have seen a lot of people upping fats over carbs for fat loss and I wonder if that's effective.
  • DCarney
    Options
    I've been following IIFYM and I love it. I eat pretty much clean all day and save my "dessert" for my treat meal but without all the guilt. It allows me to still enjoy my favorite foods (aka peanut/crack butter haha) and froyo with some candies or whatever my little heart desires without feeling bad. It's definitely helped change my whole outlook on eating. When I strictly ate clean I would get urges to binge because I constantly told myself I couldn't have something and then I'd binge and then I'd feel awful about myself and restrict or workout to the point of pure exhaustion. IIFYM has helped me gain a healthier relationship with food & I never get the urge to binge anymore.
    Najat, I am obsessed with the crack butter too! I need to follow something along the lines of what you are doing. I have to find a split that will work for me :-)
  • LolBroScience
    Options

www.IIFYM.com

I found my TDEE to be 1941. What would you recommend as a split for leaning out? I have seen a lot of people upping fats over carbs for fat loss and I wonder if that's effective.

it's individual. Some people respond better to higher carb, lower fat & some vice versa.

I personally prefer higher carbs. I get better gym performance with it, and I'm satiated enough with my fats around .40g /lb.
  • DCarney
    Options

www.IIFYM.com

it's individual. Some people respond better to higher carb, lower fat & some vice versa.

I personally prefer higher carbs. I get better gym performance with it, and I'm satiated enough with my fats around .40g /lb.
    Gotcha! I know that my body responds to healthy fats over carbs, so I will start there. Thanks for your input!
  • pigdogthegr8
    pigdogthegr8 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Najat, I am obsessed with the crack butter too! I need to follow something along the lines of what you are doing. I have to find a split that will work for me :-)
    I found the PB2 powder. It is peanuts pressed to remove fat and oil. Just add water, and it is ready to go!! 2 Tbs has 45 calories instead of the 190 calories of regular peanut butter.