Whining -- Why doesn't strength training burn more calories?

Options

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. And get a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you actually burn

not accurate for strength lifting- designed for long stead state cardio.
    Do you have proof of this?
    BECAUSE IT"S A HEART RATE MONITOR- not a calorie counter.

the heart rate goes up and down while you are lifting- but that the effects are different than running. It's going to say you burn a lot less typically- but just because you are "resting" between sets doesn't mean your body has returned to base line "rest".

Also: Don't use the strength thing for MFP- it's rubbish and highly inaccurate.

I use the cardio entry for calisthenics one and kind of ramp it down- if I put in 120 minutes of lifting it would be like 800 calories or something crazy- so instead typically I add my lift in around fraction- usually 45-65 minutes and get a 3-500 calorie burn- which to my body feels about right (comparing to how I feel next to cardio events and what not)

Be less generous with your workout burns and you'll be fine.

You are probably burning more than you think if you are really lifting and getting it in.
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Totally disagree - please state your sources.

If you disagree the onus of proof is on you.

I used all the necessary verbiage that would allow another variable to introduce itself to change the equation.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy. And get a heart rate monitor to see how many calories you actually burn

HRMs are wildly inaccurate for strength training.

This is a widely known fact. Your calorie burn is not directly attributable to your actual heart rate...your heart rate is simply used in an algorithm by the HRM to determine some level of VO2 max you are working and thus a reasonable estimate of calorie burn at that particular level of VO2 max. To get a good estimate of VO2 max requires an aerobic event...anaerobic events such as weight lifting are ****ty measures of VO2 max and thus HRMs are generally not going to be accurate given that the entire algorithm gets thrown out the window.

HRMs assume a steady state aerobic event...the further you get away from such an event, the more inaccurate a HRM is going to be for calorie burn estimates.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

This really does not apply to the average Joe/Jane heading out for a run or hopping on the elliptical or doing a zumba class or whatever...

I dont see how it could apply to one person but not the next?

Really dude...you think someone who's heading out on a 3 mile jog is going to burn up a **** load of muscle or something? BS...Bull **** and Bro-Science Bro
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Totally disagree - please state your sources.

If you disagree the onus of proof is on you.

I used all the necessary verbiage that would allow another variable to introduce itself to change the equation.
    Your preferred energy sources are glycogen and fat - not muscle.

Have a read of this nice simple article, should have enough verbiage for you.....
    http://www.menshealth.co.uk/building-muscle/get-big/will-cardio-burn-muscle
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    New question -- how much protein would I need? I read a lot of stuff about certain number of macros being necessary to get a certain type of energy supply and appearance. Maybe this is where I need to to be adjusting since I'm pretty near my goal weight and want to lose body fat. This thread is really educating me.

1gram of protien for every pound of LBM. I currently try to hit min of 120g.

and I have to ask what yogurt are you eating at 160 calories??? mine is 50calories a serving...

For a lot of people who lift we use TDEE and that way we don't have to worry about actual burns...

The 160 calorie yogurt is the good stuff -- Greek with fruit. If I burn only 80, then I have only 1/2 a cup. Anyway, how do I figure out my "lean body mass". I'm 120 lbs. and allegedly 34% body fat (I'm 55 and female).
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Keep doing strength training. It is important for health, retaining muscle, etc. and it will help you to look better at any weight.

But for us small gals ( and I mean small in weight as well as height), we will always have to work in some cardio to burn a few more calories so we don't have to be on starvation rations!

I either go for a walk or short run when I finish my weights, or I do some sort of circuit training. I either use a DVD like Jillian michaels, or if I am doing more straight lifting, after every three exercises or so I will jog in place, jump rope, or do jumping jacks for a minute or two to sneak in some cardio.

Many on here will tell you that cardio is not necessary but when you are small, middle aged, and female, it just doesn't take many calories to maintain. My sedentary TDEE to maintain is only about 1500 calories. You can make it on 1500 cals without being too hungry, but I like to eat as much as possible, so I work in daily cardio. And if you are trying to create a deficit, it is easy to see why some cardio is good.

Just my two cents worth!
  • GoPhil04
    Options

Really dude...you think someone who's heading out on a 3 mile jog is going to burn up a **** load of muscle or something? BS...Bull **** and Bro-Science Bro

bro,bro, bro... Relax, and stop calling me that.

I never made any claim about the distance one can attain without breaking down muscle mass, but yes, its entirely possible they could burn muscle. What your doing is inferring that im saying they will ONLY burn muscle. Your body preferentially burns circulating nutrients in your blood stream first.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

This really does not apply to the average Joe/Jane heading out for a run or hopping on the elliptical or doing a zumba class or whatever...

I dont see how it could apply to one person but not the next?

That would be because your original assertion is, whilst not complete nonsense, not far short of it for your weight loss exerciser.

Nothing further to add given the link to the article upthread.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've heard the benefits of strength training and been doing it for a while, and I've also heard that somehow it increases your metabolism. But it burns so few calories, especially for someone my size (5'1.5"). I did 30 minutes today, and it burned 81 calories. Sometimes I do a strength training class that's an hour, and I'm sore for 2 days, but burn only 160 calories, and basically can't lift for a couple of days. Wow, I get to "eat back" a yogurt. Whereas if I do cardio like kickboxing and zumba, it burns a ton, but some posts I've seen say that cardio makes you retain fat and lose muscle.

Do both= muscle gainand fat loss

you are focusing on things that do not "matter" results matter Calorie burn estimations do not
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options

HRMs are wildly inaccurate for strength training.

Can you use google? :-)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Options
    I've heard the benefits of strength training and been doing it for a while, and I've also heard that somehow it increases your metabolism. But it burns so few calories, especially for someone my size (5'1.5"). I did 30 minutes today, and it burned 81 calories. Sometimes I do a strength training class that's an hour, and I'm sore for 2 days, but burn only 160 calories, and basically can't lift for a couple of days. Wow, I get to "eat back" a yogurt. Whereas if I do cardio like kickboxing and zumba, it burns a ton, but some posts I've seen say that cardio makes you retain fat and lose muscle.

Do both= muscle gainand fat loss

you are focusing on things that do not "matter" results matter Calorie burn estimations do not

Calorie burn matters if you want to eat -- calories in, calories out = weight loss
  • GoPhil04
    Options

Cause one article is always right? I dont even bother citing stuff because I can easily produce another article that says the opposite.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    If all you're after is a calorie burn, then lifting may not be for you. If, however, you are after looking hard and fit, losing inches and being strong as all get out, then get back in there and pick up the barbell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    New question -- how much protein would I need? I read a lot of stuff about certain number of macros being necessary to get a certain type of energy supply and appearance. Maybe this is where I need to to be adjusting since I'm pretty near my goal weight and want to lose body fat. This thread is really educating me.

and I have to ask what yogurt are you eating at 160 calories??? mine is 50calories a serving...

For a lot of people who lift we use TDEE and that way we don't have to worry about actual burns...

The 160 calorie yogurt is the good stuff -- Greek with fruit. If I burn only 80, then I have only 1/2 a cup. Anyway, how do I figure out my "lean body mass". I'm 120 lbs. and allegedly 34% body fat (I'm 55 and female).

50 calories a serving? what a waste of yogurt.

Mine's about 240- with 40 grams of protein a pop.

6 oz of greek no fat or 10% milk fat plain greek (I prefer Cabot)
    29 grams of vanilla protein powder (I use gold standard whey)
    5 oz of fruit (fresh or frozen- I nuke mine if frozen- makes them warm and gooey- like warm pie and ice cream)

effing amazing.

I'm not wasting 50 calories on crappy yogurt- I want delicious protein packed cake yogurt!!!!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Cause one article is always right? I dont even bother citing stuff because I can easily produce another article that says the opposite.

:)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

Give it up!
    You made an absolute statement based on complete bro-science. Read back your first post.

If you genuinely do some research then you will find a well documented piece where extreme cardio was shown to produce limited and localised muscle loss - in people running ultra marathons (not just ordinary marathons) day after day.
    If you have ever bonked or hit the wall you would realise how hard it is to get to the state where you have completely exhausted your glycogen stores.
    And even harder to continue training beyond that point.

Muscle loss for ordinary people doing normal amounts of cardio is just not an issue.
  • GoPhil04
    Options
    Cardio, especially prolonged sessions, will inevitably result in a loss of muscle mass. You need to have near perfect dietary conditions to prevent that from occurring, or have worked up to a point where thats a common occurrence for you.

^My original post above^

Below will be The same post "Based on bro science"

Cardio will kill your gains brah! Your not eating enough of the good stuff, and you dont have the testicular fortitude to compete like me, so why try?

Is that better for you?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

50 calories a serving? what a waste of yogurt.

Mine's about 240- with 40 grams of protein a pop.

6 oz of greek no fat or 10% milk fat plain greek (I prefer Cabot)
    29 grams of vanilla protein powder (I use gold standard whey)
    5 oz of fruit (fresh or frozen- I nuke mine if frozen- makes them warm and gooey- like warm pie and ice cream)

effing amazing.

I'm not wasting 50 calories on crappy yogurt- I want delicious protein packed cake yogurt!!!!

it's not crappy...*:sad: * it's 100g servings of greek with fruit...or flavoured...50 calories 8 grams of protien..we don't have great dairy here in this small town but heading to the states this weekend and getting some fage or something...heard great things about it...will be checking the protien for sure, and cinibon toaster strudel too...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

so based on your stats 79 pounds of LBM..so that's the protien for now