30 day shred, will it make me bulky?

I just stared the DVD yesterday and keep reading that instead of losing weight you lose inches with this workout, which is fine ny me.. My question is, do you get bulky? I don't want bulky arms, I want them thinner. My arms are my least favorite body part and I want to lose the fat there before getting toned.

Replies

• jessannprice
    jessannprice Posts: 183 Member
    No, it won't make you bulky. I did 30 day shred and saw some inches lost.. but my real transformation came from adding heavier weights. My arms are the smallest they've been in years with a tiny bit of muscle definition (if I flex LOL) but not bulky in any way, shape, or form.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Let me know when you accidentally get "bulky." You're female, yes? We don't get bulky without that being our goal - and it takes a hell of a lot more than 30 days to do it. It's a common misconception that lifting heavy will make women bulky. It won't. Get that right out of your head. 30 day shred is cardio, anyway, is it not?
  • vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Exactly Lreed89! Women can only get bulky after a long period of time with a crazy insane diet with the purpose of getting ripped.
    30DS is mainly cardio with strength built into, but nothing like true strength training. You'll be fine.
  • Fit_Fox88
    Fit_Fox88 Posts: 410 Member
    Let me know when you accidentally get "bulky." You're female, yes? We don't get bulky without that being our goal - and it takes a hell of a lot more than 30 days to do it. It's a common misconception that lifting heavy will make women bulky. It won't. Get that right out of your head. 30 day shred is cardio, anyway, is it not?

This. You DEFINITELY won't get bulky from doing it. And it is a lot of cardio but there are also some body weight and dumbbell exercises mixed in too. It's a circuit-type workout... moving from one exercise to the next pretty rapidly. :happy:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    First of all 30 Day Shred is mostly cardio......this is building stamina.

Second of all you are eating at a deficit......really hard (if not impossible) to gain muscle. A reasonable goal would be to keep muscle.

You will likely use light hand weights......moving with weights.....you need to be mindful of form (injury). Women need to work really hard to build muscle.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Not in a million years. I did lose several inches with that DVD the first time I did it, but I had a lot of inches to lose. You may lose inches, you may lose lbs, but you definitely will not get bulky. It takes literally years of intentional bulk/ cut cycles to get "bulky".
  • Chimis_Siq
    Chimis_Siq Posts: 849 Member
    You would have to eat your body weight in protein and lift for years at an excessive amount of weight for you to get bulky :)
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Well now I've heard it all.
  • dianalee9
    dianalee9 Posts: 134 Member
    I just stared the DVD yesterday and keep reading that instead of losing weight you lose inches with this workout, which is fine ny me.. My question is, do you get bulky? I don't want bulky arms, I want them thinner. My arms are my least favorite body part and I want to lose the fat there before getting toned.

You will want to tone at the same time as losing the fat on your arms otherwise you're gonna get "wings".

30 DS will not make you bulky, it will help you shed fat and tone your muscles at the same time. Doing anything for only 30 days will not make you bulky.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    yup. going to get super bulky.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Nope.
  • taytaylynn3
    taytaylynn3 Posts: 601
    Bulky? what...
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    I wish...

tumblr_lt8tgmu9lp1qc9lhz.gif
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Yes you will look like this when you're done:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRAO8IlSCUAMCTdxMz0-BgLvardzlvLdUT05tQvAFzpkeAhzwuI
  • Well now I've heard it all.

I'm new to all this, there's no need to be snarky. Came here for support
  • I just stared the DVD yesterday and keep reading that instead of losing weight you lose inches with this workout, which is fine ny me.. My question is, do you get bulky? I don't want bulky arms, I want them thinner. My arms are my least favorite body part and I want to lose the fat there before getting toned.

You will want to tone at the same time as losing the fat on your arms otherwise you're gonna get "wings".

30 DS will not make you bulky, it will help you shed fat and tone your muscles at the same time. Doing anything for only 30 days will not make you bulky.

Thanks for replying in a helping manner
  • First of all 30 Day Shred is mostly cardio......this is building stamina.

Second of all you are eating at a deficit......really hard (if not impossible) to gain muscle. A reasonable goal would be to keep muscle.

You will likely use light hand weights......moving with weights.....you need to be mindful of form (injury). Women need to work really hard to build muscle.

Thanks for being helpful
  • No, it won't make you bulky. I did 30 day shred and saw some inches lost.. but my real transformation came from adding heavier weights. My arms are the smallest they've been in years with a tiny bit of muscle definition (if I flex LOL) but not bulky in any way, shape, or form.

How heavy were your weights ?
  • Not in a million years. I did lose several inches with that DVD the first time I did it, but I had a lot of inches to lose. You may lose inches, you may lose lbs, but you definitely will not get bulky. It takes literally years of intentional bulk/ cut cycles to get "bulky".

Thank you
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    You're welcome. With that said, I did enjoy the DVD, and I also used ripped in 30 after that with good results also.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!