Gained 5lbs in 2 days

Options
3mtntops
3mtntops Posts: 13 Member
On Friday I weighed 255. Went away for weekend thought I had done well. I didn't eat as much and I failed to stay hydrated. Monday weighed in 260 and some ounces.
Focused on keeping calories low and drinking fluids.
It took me 4 days to re-lose those irritating 5 pounds.
Anyone else struggle twice as long to lose regained weight?

Replies

• ImaWaterBender
    ImaWaterBender Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Water and poop.

Eat better and you won't fluctuate so much.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    It wasn't real weight so there was no point stressing about it.
  • BuckTheBMI
    BuckTheBMI Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I was looking through your food diary and, unless you are not recording everything, it looks like you are WAY under your goals each day... is that healthy? Most of your days would fit into a 1200 calorie diet.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose 5 lbs in 4 days and you didn't gain it in 2. It was most likely all water retention to begin with.

In order to gain 5 lbs in 2 days, you'd need to eat 17,500 calories over your MAINTENANCE calories over the course of both days. In order to lose 5 lbs in 4 days, you'd need to eat 17,500 calories under maintenance over the course of those days.

I'm 99% sure you did neither of those things.

You shouldn't be losing more than 2 lbs per week. That's the maximum. 1 lb per week is good. And, as a guy, you should be eating way more calories than you're logging.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    You didn't lose 5 lbs in 4 days and you didn't gain it in 2. It was most likely all water retention to begin with.

In order to gain 5 lbs in 2 days, you'd need to eat 17,500 calories over your MAINTENANCE calories over the course of both days. In order to lose 5 lbs in 4 days, you'd need to eat 17,500 calories under maintenance over the course of those days.

I'm 99% sure you did neither of those things.

You shouldn't be losing more than 2 lbs per week. That's the maximum. 1 lb per week is good. And, as a guy, you should be eating way more calories than you're logging.

QFT
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Water retention. Did you eat a lot of sodium? That is usually one of the causes. Or else you have become a woman and inherited water retention problems.
  • 3mtntops
    Options
    Thank you, you were right as the body came back to regular the weight re-adjusted down
  • 3mtntops
    Options
    Great information. Who is the arbitrary authority on how much we should lose in a week? I gained 80 lbs in less than 8 moths and fortunately for me it is coming off as fast. I made a declaration I wasn't going to let that lard take up permanent residence in my body. . I am weighing and logging every little thing that passes my lips. The thing that most people forget is that 1200 calories factors in the normal diet of junk (chips,treats,breads and pasta) by not eating junk I can fill up on huge salads and hi fiber/low calorie vegetables and be far from starvation mode. I eat more, its just bulky lower calories. I have a full plate 3x a day.

People use their strengths to lose. Runners run, my strength is routine so I made a routine of fixing whole food meals.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    1200 calories a day is the minimum for a woman, commonly accepted by health professionals as the minimum required to be able to meet nutritional requirements. The minimum is 1800 for a man. **Unless under the supervision of a doctor**

Very low calorie diets can be dangerous. At minimum, you are reducing your lean body mass by eating too few calories and losing weight too fast. This means you could be compromising your bone health and muscle health. This is not insignificant... people "our age" especially should be mindful of *preserving* lean body mass, not wasting it. Remember, your heart is a muscle too. Keep it healthy by eating enough.