Not giving up...even when the scales say 00 loss.

Options
santd
santd Posts: 234 Member
Keeping motivated when the scales aren't your friend, is so depressing and very frustrating. But we must be more determined to keep on..........Getting to know your body and how it reacts to dieting isn't the easiest process. Being honest and truthful to yourself is also a bitter pill to swallow...but we have to face the music and get on with it, or stay FAT. That's the only alternatives we have.

So what's your decision, lose weight or stay FAT.

What's your target weight realistically for 2014.

CAN YOU DO IT???????

Replies

• pangy1958
    pangy1958 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I want to loose weight and hope to get below the 200lb mark.
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Yes. That's the key. You won't lose anything if you give up. It's not an option.
  • Deedle7544
    Deedle7544 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I wamt to be 140 by the end of October. Giving up is not an option! Even on zero weight loss weeks!
  • Empressmee
    Empressmee Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Keeping motivated when the scales aren't your friend, is so depressing and very frustrating. But we must be more determined to keep on..........

This is exactly how I was feeling yesterday! The scales haven't been my friend at ALL for the last 2 weeks. I wanted to give up after I weighed in yesterday. But giving up isn't an option so I must continue to push on.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My goal is to be at 170 lb by the end of 2014. That will be a total loss of 137 (from my heaviest). I KNOW I will make it.

My thing as I look toward maintenance in the future is remembering that SUCCESS is not about losing 5 or 55 lb. It's about not gaining!!

If I did not lose another pound this year, and rang in 2015 at my current weight of 186 I would still consider that a "win" that I did not gain :-)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    The scale shouldn't be the only measurement of success. The mirror and how clothes fit are a better indicator.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    ....how clothes fit are a better indicator.

Or how many more people want to get you out of them as you get your health and confidence up.
  • GidgetWannaBe
    GidgetWannaBe Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Here are a couple of links to the Reddit ProgressPics I use to remind myself that it's not all about the weight loss:
    (If you're not familiar with Reddit, click on the title at the top of the page to see the picture.)

http://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/comments/22e4hf/f3055_144lbs_144lbs_0lbs_3_months_fat_lost_muscle/

http://www.reddit.com/r/progresspics/comments/1pmg44/f2254_1351350_lbs_lost_janjulynow_nsfw/
  • Eloira
    Eloira Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    After 5 weeks of only losing 1lb and seriously trying my darnest!! (Classes 3 times a week and pt once a week with gym in between) I've decided to change my game plan and focus on fitness rather than numbers, in the hope that the numbers will follow the fitness xD
    For example my new goals:
    1. Complete the full c25k and be able to run for 40minutes without stopping before graduation (18th July)-currently on week 4
    2. Be able to cycle in the woods with my dog for at least an hour without stopping-currently not attempted yet, next week xD
    I believe I can do it, anyone can, my motivation is every individual on these forums and I remember seeing a video which I'm sure most of you have seen, where the larger man started power walking, then jogging, then running and completing marathons. It bought tears to my eyes :)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    If you didn't lose weight, you also didn't gain weight. You maintained which is also a win.
  • santd
    santd Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    The scale shouldn't be the only measurement of success. The mirror and how clothes fit are a better indicator.

That's Ok to say that, if your circumstances are you've only got 20 pounds to worry about, it doesn't help if you had over 202 pounds to lose. That comment doesn't help. When i weighed in at 347 pounds, all my clothes were big and baggy in any case, and the only thing that was important to me was losing weight.

Now I've lost 168 pounds, it was 207 but i put 20 pounds back on!!! which I'm trying to lose again, fitness is becoming more important. Its a gradual process. Learning to eat healthy, AND THE CORRECT PORTION SIZES. Regular exercise, weight loss, then toning and strengthening.

I think to do it all together at the start is too much for any person, and its all too easy to give up. It's taken me three years, I started on the 24th June 2011. I didn't do much last year, in fact i gained 20 pounds, due to a knee operation, but back on track now. But you need something adapted to you that you can live with
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This is great advice. Measures are by far a better way of progress rather than the continued lies from scales.
    Less frustration this way and motivation levels stay up.....