How do you enter it?

Let's say a person burns 1900 calories per day. That's about an average of 80 calories an hour just to keep the body running, right?

Now, does MFP automatically account for those 80 calories or should that person subtract that amount from the amount that she/he burned.

I've always just entered the amount of calories the machines told me I earned at the gym or what MFP's data base said.

Does that make any sense?

Replies

• lolakey
    lolakey Posts: 91
    Let's say a person burns 1900 calories per day. That's about an average of 80 calories an hour just to keep the body running, right?

Now, does MFP automatically account for those 80 calories or should that person subtract that amount from the amount that she/he burned.

I've always just entered the amount of calories the machines told me I earned at the gym or what MFP's data base said.

Does that make any sense?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    MPF accounts for them when you enter in your age, weight, sex, and activity level.

Oh, and it's called the Basal Metabolic Rate
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Don't worry about the daily normal calories burned, MFP has those calories figured in for you, when you put down your usual level of activity (sedentary, lightly active, etc.) when you set you goals at the beginning (these can be changed if your normal level of activity changes, too). Just enter the exercise calories as you have been doing! And enjoy eating every calorie thereby earned! :drinker:
  • lolakey
    I was asking because I have been using my friend's HR monitor the last couple of days. (I don't want to give it back)

I changed my goals manually to better reflect the data I received from the monitor. I went for a run today and the HR monitor doesn't (I assume anyways) automatically account for my BMR.

I ran for 20 minutes, so I should subtract 1/3 of an hour of what I normally would burn w/out exercise, right?

... I may be over thinking all of this a wee bit. I am what I am.
  • dshandt
    dshandt Posts: 192
    Jsut go to the exercise tab above, then to cardio and add in the activity of running.....if the HRM calculates the calories for you, great....just enter 20 minutes in the first box and the number of calories in the second.....if not, then after you enter the 20 minutes of running, it should give you an approximate number of calories and just go with that. Then, when you go back to your home page, you will see calories added to your daily allotment!!!

Presto! Easy, huh? :glasses:
  • lolakey
    I've been doing this since February. I understand how to use the program.

I don't think I made myself clear (I do that sometimes).

I'll just experiment and see if I see any changes. Thanks.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I think I understand. . .I call these "sit on the sofa calories". So, if I "sit on the sofa" all day, I burn about 70 calories an hour. Now lets say for one of those hours, I go to the gym, spend an hour on the eliptical and burn 600 calories in one hour. So, I've actually only burned 530 calories in addition to my "sit on the sofa" calories. Right? I didn't magically put another hour in my day by working out (although if I could do this, there'd be no excuses ever.:tongue: )

I used to try to leave about 70 calories at the end of my day to account for this. Now, I've adjusted for it by putting my activity level at "sedentary" even though I probably count for "lightly active" without exercise.

That is what you were talking about, right? I think I get it.:flowerforyou:
  • lolakey
    Yes!

Thank you for explaining it better than I could have!

That was my question. I'm going to enter the amount that the HRM says minus my BMR or "sit on the sofa all day" calories, because I manually entered my daily intake.
  • edyta
    edyta Posts: 258
    Hmm, I was thinking about the same.
    However, doesn't our body burn more calories after the workout? I mean I've heard that after cardio you burn more calories for 12h and after weights it's even more. Than maybe we can enter what HRM says and everything will even out during next few hour?
    Just a though :smile:
    What do you think??

The other thing is that we can't measure exact calories in food and burnt during exercising so I guess one hour of training doesn't make a big difference :ohwell:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    I have noticed that after a weights workout in particular my RMR is elevated for a few hours. That's why I set at sedentary even though I'm not. . .for wiggle room.
  • lolakey
    That makes sense.

Thanks.