Do you have a "cheat day"?

Options
I'm new to this site and new to fitness and healthy dieting in general. One constant I see among a lot of people's habits is that there is a cheat day where you either don't work out, or eat whatever you want, or both.

I would be worried that this would make me fall back into old habits. I want to push through and try to keep on track as much as possible 7 days a week, but I also don't want to deprive myself of my favorite things, like staying in my PJs all day Saturday, and pizza. I know "everything in moderation"...but I would love to hear your stories, experiences, tips, advice, etc. on taking a day off every week. Have you found that it helps or hurts your progress?

Replies

• tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer once to have a cheat meal instead of a whole cheat day. I would still log my calories though :)
  • DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    Options
    i dont have a cheat day
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this site and new to fitness and healthy dieting in general. One constant I see among a lot of people's habits is that there is a cheat day where you either don't work out, or eat whatever you want, or both.

I would be worried that this would make me fall back into old habits. I want to push through and try to keep on track as much as possible 7 days a week, but I also don't want to deprive myself of my favorite things, like staying in my PJs all day Saturday, and pizza. I know "everything in moderation"...but I would love to hear your stories, experiences, tips, advice, etc. on taking a day off every week. Have you found that it helps or hurts your progress?
    As far as taking a day off of working out/exercise.
    That is probably recommended by most to let the body rest. PLus, it lets your mind rest knowing you dont have to PT that day.

I would suggest only a cheat meal and not cheat day. A cheat day could blow out your whole week. Much harder to blow out your week on just one cheat meal.
  • ErinMcMom
    ErinMcMom Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Not yet... (37 days in) but I'm sure I will in the future!
  • spmcavoy1
    spmcavoy1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't have a planned cheat day - but I usually go over on Sundays because I don't go to the gym on Sundays AND there's usually a family dinner. I try to go to the gym 5 days/week and I try to be on point or under my calories at LEAST 5-6 days/week. If I'm over 1-2 days by fewer than like 2-300 calories, on those days, I think I'm all set.

I don't like the term "cheat" - you aren't taking a shortcut to get anywhere.

BUT, I completely agree - you don't want to deprive yourself. Maybe have "relaxed" days where you don't stress about your food. I would still 100% suggest you log it though. It will help you remember WHY you are/aren't losing on a certain week.
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I don't have a planned cheat day - but I usually go over on Sundays because I don't go to the gym on Sundays AND there's usually a family dinner. I try to go to the gym 5 days/week and I try to be on point or under my calories at LEAST 5-6 days/week. If I'm over 1-2 days by fewer than like 2-300 calories, on those days, I think I'm all set.

I don't like the term "cheat" - you aren't taking a shortcut to get anywhere.

BUT, I completely agree - you don't want to deprive yourself. Maybe have "relaxed" days where you don't stress about your food. I would still 100% suggest you log it though. It will help you remember WHY you are/aren't losing on a certain week.
    \Oh yea, most definantly still log it.

Any more the days I have a cheat meal I still end up at my maintenance calories as I save up for that big dinner. Big, juicey steak, baked potato, some break. Good stuff!
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I do a cheat meal every saturday night, thats about it :) dont log anything because usually I have no idea, ex popcorn at movies..... or restaurants that dont have caloric values listed. Its the ONLY time all week I dont worry about my calories and I live it up. Although, since I am generally used to smaller portions now anyway, I never finish my plates, so eating half a plate of pasta and one piece of bread isnt too bad.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I do. Let's just say I lost much more reliably when I didn't.
  • DianaGabriela2013
    DianaGabriela2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes, usually to maintenance calories. That way you don't blow all the hard work you did all week. I don't consider it a cheat because I plan it and I think its necessary to restore hormones to higher levels, as opposed to having your body and hormones get used to a low calorie diet every single day. Its also a day to look foward to, or plan a "favorite but greasy" meal day or what not.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I don't consider it a cheat meal or cheat day. I consider it a high calorie meal that may put me at maintenance or a few hundred calories over.

I eat what I want. I enjoy a few high calorie meals a few times a week and sometimes, even manage to have them fit into my daily calories. I may not eat nothing else but I make it happen. Life is way too short and this is a lifestyle change to think of things as a cheat meal or cheat day. That sounds hectic! LMAO!!!

Eat things you like that are reasonable calories most days and you will be able to have that high calorie meal more often then you think without thinking of it as cheating..... I never feel guilt. lol

Makes life a lot easier IMHO.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I don't have a cheat day, I think it would reinforce habits I'm trying to break. I do some moderate calorie cycling however to keep my momentum going.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I have a carb up (high load) day I usually fit in Pizza or some such "cheat" but I just consider it carbs with fat content I concern myself with MACROS
  • jennucci81
    jennucci81 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sunday is rest day. I will log my calories but allow myself an extra 300.
    Mostly because Sunday is family meal day and we do it up big.
    I think, if you portion it smart, you can eat pretty freely just be honest when you log and learn from it.
    Tweak it here and there so you get maximum enjoyment and the most reward.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't have cheat days. I have days when I don't log some meals (usually when I eat out), when I eat what I want, but I still eat with restraint/mindfully on those days. I don't deprive myself anything, but I never "let go". I also get some physical exercise every day.

It's much easier to break old habits by walking away from them completely.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Every month or so I have a cheat day which usually turns into a cheat weekend. It takes a bit to get back on track, but I would probably lose my mind if I didnt do it every once in a while. I think it all depends on you and how discouraged you would get if you gained after that day/days. I have learnt that I do gain however I know it is just from the sodium, etc and I know that after a few days I will be back to normal. Test it out and see how you do!
  • ericalouise77
    Options
    I do...and it works! It keeps your metabolism guessing so it doesn't fall into a routine and then you hit a plateau much quicker...for me anyways. Same for exercise! I've been told to throw in every once in a while something I probably wouldn't do, just so that it doesn't become routine. Everybody is different, so do some research on it and go from there
  • Bu1l
    Bu1l Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    IT ALL DEPENDS..MY CHEAT DAY IS ON SUNDAY, JUST FOR THE FACT THAT I;AM ON A STRICT DIET AT THE MOMENT. BUT WHEN IM ON A REG DIET, I DO NOT HAVE A CHEAT DAY. I BELIEVE YOU SHOULD PORTION YOUR FOOD, AND WITH THE HELP OF M.F.P, YOU CAN EAT WHAT YOU WANT, AS LONG AS YOU KEEP IN UNDER YOUR CALORIE RANGE.. NOW WE ARE ONLY SPEAKING CALORIES HERE. NOT HEALTH.. MEANING THERE ARE FOODS THAT YOU SHOULD STAY AWAY FROM, DUE TO HEALTH PROBLEMS, AND IN THAT CASE, YOU SHOULD TRY AND FIND REPLACEMENTS FOR THESE FOODS, BUT CHEAT DAYS ARE JUST DAYS THAT YOU WILL INDULGE IN FOODS YOU STARVE YOURSELF FROM.. I USUALLY GAIN MY WIEGHT BACK FROM THAT LOL .. YO YO DIETS.. BUT IF YOU CAN MAINTAIN YOURSELF.. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG HAVING A CHEAT DAY.....
  • 503pdx
    503pdx Posts: 31
    Options
    I'll occasionally eat at maintenance, which *feels* like a cheat day maybe once every other week. I you have to look at averages. I'm still at a deficit for the week and my scale has steadily gone down. I think it helps keep my metabolism from getting bored and keeps it guessing.

Even when I eat at maintenance though, I don't gorge and I try to stick to the healthier version of foods I love. I had Happy Panda, I got 1/2 grilled chicken and 1/2 fresh vegies and then the other 1/2 noodles and Orange Chicken. I didn't even finish it and I didn't feel sick afterwards.

Unless you eat 3,500 EXTRA calories, your overall weight won't go up. Just remember sodium will make you retain water weight so make sure you drink plenty of fluids to flush that through.

I do plan a complete cheat weekend on my anniversary in a couple weeks. I doubt at this point I can even eat that much but I will not be tracking my calories and simply enjoy my husband and the last 10 weeks or so of hard work.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I take at least a day off from exercise every week, some weeks I have taken two days, I call it "rest". If you never let your muscles recover, they will get even.

That said, no I don't cheat on my eating plan.
  • thesoundman
    thesoundman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have cheat "meals" every so often, but not a full day of cheats. A cheat meal is a nice change and really keeps me motivated and on track because I know how hard I worked for it (and what it takes to not lose focus). I enjoy cheat meals, I think they are important. YMMV.

:)