Anyone else seemingly losing weight, but not feeling it?

Options
So after 5 weeks of MFP logging, my weight seems to have gone from 258ish to 251 (first weigh-ins had clothes on). The thing is, I don't really feel any different. Anyone know if this is normal, or am I don't something wrong?

Replies

• DeadKoala
    DeadKoala Posts: 13
    Options
    Based off of your profile, it seems that you have quite a lot to lose. I've noticed that it's harder to see your weight loss when you are heavier than when you are lighter. I'd say just keep going with it, and if you still aren't seeing the changes that you want, try something else.
  • farway
    farway Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    It is fine. A lot of fat is internal, around heart, lungs etc, and not visible externally

Once this has gone you will see external changes
  • thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    So after 5 weeks of MFP logging, my weight seems to have gone from 258ish to 251 (first weigh-ins had clothes on). The thing is, I don't really feel any different. Anyone know if this is normal, or am I don't something wrong?
    AT first it could very well be water weight, which you may not feel.

I started noticing around the 12-15 lb mark is when I started to feel it.

You said you weighed in the 1st time with clothes.....did you do that the most recent time whenyou were 251? I
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    You lost less than 3% of your total bodyweight. I am not sure you are going to feel that. I know that I don't, and I'm 118-122.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Ive lost 89lbs and still have days where I dont see or feel it :/
  • CBworkout91
    CBworkout91 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The very first weighing I did was with clothes. Next week it was just boxers and an undershirt, and the week after that I started doing it in the morning instead of the evening. I tested with and without my standard "gear" yesterday (pants, belt, shirt, jacket, phone, wallet full of change) and the difference was over 3 pounds.
  • thavoice
    Options
    The very first weighing I did was with clothes. Next week it was just boxers and an undershirt, and the week after that I started doing it in the morning instead of the evening. I tested with and without my standard "gear" yesterday (pants, belt, shirt, jacket, phone, wallet full of change) and the difference was over 3 pounds.
    Yeah, you want to make sure you do it the same way each time to really accurately guage what is going on.

Morning works bset for many people, and usually yields the best results as most people havene eaten or drank anything for 8-10 hours.

Until you start getting doing it the same every time it is hard to guage what really was lost.
  • AmandaKnox
    AmandaKnox Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It really took up until I reached the 20lb mark that I realized I actually felt different... but most of what I feel now on a regular basis is changes in muscle from strength training.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    OH GOD YES.

Look, my highest weight was 294, and that was in October 2011. I've slowly been losing weight since. My ticker only counts what I've done since the end of January, since that was when I got serious again. I can honestly and truly say that I don't feel any different at 240 than I did at 294. How the hell is this possible? The only difference is I'm wearing size 20 instead of size 22. I don't get it.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    @ 48lbs down I can't say I feel it...I know I have based on clothing size and photos...and my hip doesn't hurt anymore...but other than that nope.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Don't you feel it mentally? You should be all, "**ck yeah! SEVEN pounds!"
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Started just over 6 weeks ago and I'm down 18 pounds (from 293 to 275) and I don't notice a difference. But I don't really expect to since I have a lot to lose. Hopefully around the 40 pound mark I'll start noticing :)

Edited to add - Mentally I feel a difference :) I know I'm kicking butt lol!
  • thavoice
    Options
    Don't you feel it mentally? You should be all, "**ck yeah! SEVEN pounds!"
    That is how I feel every time the scale shows a loss!
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 30 pounds down but yeah, no, nothing here either. I'm pulling up some of my pants a little more often, but not all of them. I suspect it also may be due to the fact that they are older and pretty well-worn. The only real tangible proof that it is working is that I recently got a blood test and my bad numbers have all dropped considerably. Which of course is great, but damn, would I like to see something in the mirror, or have even one person say something. Even my closest friends haven't noticed. Very discouraging. Unfortunately my body has always been this way. Some people can drop 7-10 pounds and are two sizes smaller and look amazing, but for me it's quite a lot of pounds between sizes. Maybe in another 10 pounds or so, I hope.
  • MrsCZM138
    MrsCZM138 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ive lost 89lbs and still have days where I dont see or feel it :/

This. But sub 42lbs. Went from 222 to 179.9, clothes sizes have shrink a lot, but it just doesn't feel like it all the time. Our brains need to catch up.
  • jescamp9481
    jescamp9481 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I have lost about 50 pounds,

started at 291, I do not physically fell any different. I can still wear the same clothes I always did. my stomach is not as upset as it was when I wasnt eating well and I have more energy so that is great. I think that the last thing I am going to lose is around the midsection even though that is where I want to lose the most. I dont think it will be until I hit 200 lbs that I feel significantly different physically. Also, look at yourself naked in the mirror and take a really long and thorough inventory of your rolls, flabs, handles, pooches, and your butt. If you do this once a week you will be able to see your changes before you will feel them. I hope this helps. Also feel free to add me as a friend. My diary is open and I log everyday.

FYI: losing weight is really hard work
  • autoee
    autoee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I look at in terms of simple geometry. If the circle around my waist is 4 ft in diameter, it takes a lot more weight loss to shrink it an inch than it does at 2.5 ft in diameter. One of the many great things I've taken from others here, take pictures regulalry and compare, it makes it easier to see changes over time.
  • brittsway
    brittsway Posts: 12
    Options
    I am in the same boat with previous posters. I have lost 23 pounds and have no idea where it left. Wearing most of the same clothes I did at my heaviest. Hopefully in time. Don't give up!
  • kuolo
    kuolo Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Yes - I literally only saw/felt it on myself last night for the first time. And that's 17lb lost, going from a BMI of 29 to 26.
  • salvaje913
    salvaje913 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started at 310 and I am around 266 right now.

I started noticing clothes were looser and I was less sore after about 15-20 lbs lost. I noticed I felt better mentally after walking and jogging than I did before I started on MFP.

However after almost 45 lbs, even though I feel better and I am going to have to buy new clothes soon, I do not "feel" a difference. If this makes sense, my mental image of the space I take up in the world still feels the same. I don't feel "different" other than someone is magically increasing the size of my clothes, my joints are not sore anymore, and I am happier.

Keep at it. It will all work out!