800 Calorie Diet

Options
Hi! So I know there is a lot of controversy over diets that have 1200 or less calories. If I eat 800 calories a day but its all healthy foods (protein, fruits, LOTS of vegetables, the occasional dark chocolate) and I am not feeling like I am starving and I am constantly hydrated (water only). Is this healthy and will I be able to lose weight like this? I am 5'3, around 158 pounds, I can't really exercise a lot because of my schedule but I don't binge eat, I exercise on weekends (running/biking), and I try to stay away from sweets and junk food. So will I be able to lose weight and maintain my health or is this a bad idea?
Thanks so much for answering!

Replies

• thavoice
    thavoice Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Hi! So I know there is a lot of controversy over diets that have 1200 or less calories. If I eat 800 calories a day but its all healthy foods (protein, fruits, LOTS of vegetables, the occasional dark chocolate) and I am not feeling like I am starving and I am constantly hydrated (water only). Is this healthy and will I be able to lose weight like this? I am 5'3, around 158 pounds, I can't really exercise a lot because of my schedule but I don't binge eat, I exercise on weekends (running/biking), and I try to stay away from sweets and junk food. So will I be able to lose weight and maintain my health or is this a bad idea?
    Thanks so much for answering!
    Probably not a great idea.

And for the most part, calories are calories.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Lose weight - probably
    Be healthy - less likely - that's not enough calories to give your body the nutrients it needs to function properly.
    Hunger is not always the best way to determine if you're getting enough nutrients.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I think this is a very bad idea. It's a VLCD (very low calorie diet) and should ONLY be done under the supervision of a qualified doctor. No one on MFP can or will tell you that this is a healthy idea.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Lose weight - probably
    Be healthy - less likely - that's not enough calories to give your body the nutrients it needs to function properly.
    Hunger is not always the best way to determine if you're getting enough nutrients.

This

Just do what's right for your body...no matter how much you want to lose weight quickly.

Eat at least 1200 calories. Only 400 more than your 800. No biggie. Eat a few spoons of peanut butter if you find it that hard.

Take care of your temple.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Are you actually expecting someone to tell you it's a good idea? Are you morbidly obese and under the direct supervision of a doctor?? No? It's not a good idea.

You will lose weight, of course you will also be tired, hungry, cranky, possibly lose some hair if you do it long enough. . And after all that you will gain back every ounce and more within 6 months of going back to "normal eating" you were planning on eventually doing that right?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    With only 800 calories a day, you will lose weight. You will not, however, be able to meet your nutritional needs on that little. Read this link and maybe it will answer some of your questions:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you, I am on between 650-800 per day plus my workouts and feel fine.

I know everyone is of the opinion that you need to eat xxxx amount but my view is listen to your body.
  • AugustCountdown
    AugustCountdown Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I tried this & it worked like 2 years back having very few calories but once you stop that weight will be back with vengeance. Plus extra!
  • shrinkingshreya
    shrinkingshreya Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You will lose it quickly most likely-- but is this the way you want to live your life on only 800 calories a day-- there is too much delicious things to experience for that kind of calorie intake in my opinion. Try to stick with something you will be able to stick with for a long time so the weight won't come back!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I know everyone is of the opinion that you need to eat xxxx amount but my view is listen to your body.

I think something is really, really wrong with your hearing......
  • asciident
    asciident Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    You should only do this under medical supervision.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    You'll gain everything back as soon as you start eating normally. I don't have any patience for very low calorie diets.
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options
    Lose weight? Probably
    Maintain health? Absolutely not.
    Bad idea? You said it.

Calculate your TDEE, take a reasonable cut (10-20%) from that number and eat that as your goal. There's no reason to hurt yourself this way.

Edited for clarity.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options

I think something is really, really wrong with your hearing......

How so?.. I understand MPF's idea on minim amounts but I am still able to function , Am not hungry or feel faint.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    NO!!! :grumble:
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Not 800 calories every day. I have a super-nutrient-dense 800 calorie day that I'll throw in once every week or two, but I do it so I can have some 2000 calorie days here and there.
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Yes you will lose weight,
    but the things listed will follow within the next 6 months
    Anemia,
    brittle nails
    falling hair
    cold hands and feet
    dark circles

and many many more
    and you will gain it right back when you add more calories!!Been there done that!not recommended,even under doctor supervision!
  • Eleonora91
    Eleonora91 Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I don't know why did you decide to eat such a small amount of food, is there any particular reason for it? It's not like you're going to lose weight faster as long as you cut more calories from your intake. Be sure you're at least eating 1200 or more (depending on your stats and goals), there's no need to hurry, you'll still see a loss and you'll be doing it the right way.
  • Illini_Jim
    Illini_Jim Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    No me gusta your plan.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    You know there is major controversy over 1200 calorie diets and you think asking about an 800 calorie diet is going to get you a different answer?

...Right.

Like others have said: will you lose weight? Most likely. Will you gain it all back and then some when you realize that's not maintainable and make up for all of the delicious food you've deprived yourself of. Also likely.

There's a quote that pops up from time to time: "You didn't gain it all quickly, you won't lose it all quickly." The best advice you've been given is to follow the link to "Your guide to sexypants". Seriously. Find your TDEE, eat foods without depriving yourself and you will be happier with the results in the long run even though it doesn't come off overnight.
This discussion has been closed.