Plateau or Impatient?

kiuney
kiuney Posts: 68
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
I started my "conscious eating" on 9/15 (also when I joined this wonderful site). To date, I've lost 8 lbs. 5 of those pounds came off overnight (some of which I realize is water) and the last 2-3 weeks have been yo-yoing with the remaining 3 pounds. I'm getting a bit frustrated because it seems a bit early to hit a plateau but I also keep reminding myself that 8 pounds for 4 weeks is technically on target with my 2-pounds-per week goal.

My diet is very clean - lots of whole foods, fruits and veggies, etc. I exercise 5-6 days per week (2 days of strength training and the remainder cardio). I would appreciate thoughts about whether I'm just being impatient (which I realize is entirely possible and probable) or if this could really be a plateau. (I should note that I upped my cardio this morning from 40 minutes to 60 in the event that it is a plateau). Thanks all!

P.S. I don't post here much but reading the boards a lot and find you all to be a very inspirational group! :happy:

Replies

• RaggedyPond
    RaggedyPond Posts: 1,487 Member
    It's only a plateau if you go over a month without loosing anything
  • kimi233
    kimi233 Posts: 271 Member
    Are you doing and eating the same exact things??? Sometimes your body needs a little "wake-up", try eating a "cheat" meal or snack... and trying changing up your work outs. I did the same thing and changed a few work outs and started seeing results again... but I have my "cheat" meals on a regular basis. LOL Best of luck!
  • kiuney
    I do vary my workouts quite a bit and my diet changes from week to week. :smile:
  • Same thing is happening to me - I've been working hard since early September but I have only lost 5lbs. Last week was my biggest loss of 2 lbs and happened after I increased my calories - I altered my goal from 2lbs per week to 1.5 lbs per week. I keep reading about dramatic results the first couple of weeks on here, but I'm not seeing any of that. I was able to get into some pants that I haven't been able to button since last year, so something's working :smile:
  • dgroulx
    dgroulx Posts: 159 Member
    I kept going up 2 pounds and down 2 pounds for a month. I did not do anything different, just stuck to my diet. Then, like magic, the pounds started dropping off again.

Don't get discouraged. It happens to all of us. Just keep the faith. Don't get upset and binge on something.
  • jenreth
    jenreth Posts: 14 Member
    It's only a plateau if you go over a month without loosing anything

does that include when you lose, then gain, then lose, then gain? end up pretty much where you started?

I lost 12 pounds in my first 6 weeks, then for the past 6 weeks I've only lost two, and gone up and down heaps. I guess my exercise was slacking off a bit, I'd lost focus in diet and training. I decided on a new plan, enrolled in tons of fitness classes I was procrastinating on, bough a week's worth of the shakes to give my diet a kick-start again. I hope all that does the trick, I really hope the weight will magically start to drop off again after over a month of waiting!
  • howardrw
    howardrw Posts: 80 Member
    When losing weight, you will go through several plateau sometimes.

It also depend on your body as well, because everyone is difference, some people loses weight without going through plateau...

Keep the faith and stay with your diet plan, you will start seeing results even if it is muscles....
  • kiuney
    Same thing is happening to me - I've been working hard since early September but I have only lost 5lbs. Last week was my biggest loss of 2 lbs and happened after I increased my calories - I altered my goal from 2lbs per week to 1.5 lbs per week. I keep reading about dramatic results the first couple of weeks on here, but I'm not seeing any of that. I was able to get into some pants that I haven't been able to button since last year, so something's working :smile:

Thank you! Good to know it's not just me. Glad to hear that you are making progress and keep up the good work. :smile:
This discussion has been closed.