Weight gain immediately after gall bladder surgery?

Options
I just had my second baby about five weeks ago. I was 304 when I got pregnant and was about 324 when I had her. Most of it was baby weight and I started losing weight right away, especially since I'm breastfeeding. I got admitted to the hospital last week with pancreatitis caused by gall stones, and was in the hospital for 4 days, I had my gall bladder removed on the last day. When I checked into the hospital I weighed 286 and was not allowed to eat anything until after the surgery. The surgery was on Monday, I weighed myself today, thinking that I would weigh even less. Now my scale is reading 298. I'm really upset about it. I know I had read online that a lot of people find it hard to lose weight and even end up gaining weight after having their gall bladder removed, but I have no idea how I gained 12 pounds in a week, four of those days being in the hospital. I'm feeling really discouraged by this. I was just starting to notice a difference from how I looked before I got pregnant, and now I just feel bad. Has anyone had this happen or heard of it happening? I was really starting to get motivated again and now I just feel knocked back down.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    that is common. The pain meds will make you retain water and they have had you on an IV drip, right? Just eat at about your sedentary TDEE while you recover and take it easy.

Unless you are just curious, don't weigh yourself until you are recovered - it seems to stress you out and the number is meaningless right now.
  • Amwhite1986
    Amwhite1986 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    The IV will pack on lots of water weight. Give it a week or two to go down. I went up about 5lbs for a week after being on an IV drip for only a few hours.
  • tl_dr
    tl_dr Posts: 96
    Options
    I put on 12 pounds immediately after my surgery, but I was able to lose it again with very little effort over the course of a couple of months. I got a little too excited at the prospect of being able to eat high-fat/protein foods for the first time in a year. :laugh: Excusable, in my opinion, after subsisting off a BRAT diet for that long...

This was "actual" weight, though, not water weight. Yours might come off a little faster. :flowerforyou: