Energy gels & diabetes

Options
froeschli
froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
Ok, not sure whether this belongs here or in the nutrition forum, but I figure it's more likely to find people with relevant experience here...
A few weeks ago, the doc told my hubby that he's on the verge of diabetes. So we've been shunning everything sugar(y). Then, as I am buying my running shoes, DH just adds in a selection of energy gels to try for his cycling. It didn't occur to me at the time, but by definition those gels are mostly sugar, right?

Ok, my sample here reads 22g carbs out of which 4g are sugars - in a 32g serving.

So I am wondering, why bother dissing ice cream, chocolate, white rice and even fruit, if you're going to turn around and suck on a sugar packet?
He used to take a protein shake along, which now seems a much more reasonable choice...

Anyhow, I would appreciate some insights from people who actually have a bit more perspective than me.

Thanks.

Replies

• AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Unless about 16g of those carbs are fiber, then it is not diabetic-friendly.
  • amybg1
    amybg1 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Well depending on the intensity he will need the carbs, not only should you be watching the sugar content but you should be worrying more so about the carbs. Did the doc say how he came to be pre-diabetic? Weight? Family history?

I know a Type 1 diabetic that trains for half marathons and takes watered-down Gatorade along with one or two gels with her and just watches her glucose levels. I'd say keep the gels but use them only on the REALLY long rides and in the future maybe switch to chews if only to keep track of how many carbs you're intaking
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Well depending on the intensity he will need the carbs, not only should you be watching the sugar content but you should be worrying more so about the carbs. Did the doc say how he came to be pre-diabetic? Weight? Family history?

I know a Type 1 diabetic that trains for half marathons and takes watered-down Gatorade along with one or two gels with her and just watches her glucose levels. I'd say keep the gels but use them only on the REALLY long rides and in the future maybe switch to chews if only to keep track of how many carbs you're intaking
    Nah, the very 'capable' doctor had a look at the bloodwork, told DH he was pre-diabetic, wrote him a bunch of prescriptions, didn't answer what they were for, just to take them, and when asked if anything could be done via diet and exercise, he said to google it.
    Gee, guess whom we won't ask for medical advice again...
    There's no family history, so I assume its weight, age and activity level (not so good right after winter).

Being a runner myself, I understand the need for carbs (though I myself prefer a minimalist approach to fuelling...) so the chews sound like a good idea in that it wouldn't be a full whammy of carbs all at once - I think I'll look into getting him some of those :smile:
    Thanks
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My husband was diagnosed pre-diabetic and his Doctor recommended the book "Metabolic Syndrome X."
    I read it too and it has very specific dietary changes that when followed can stop the progression of full blow Diabetes.

I don't understand all the Rx's given. Were those more for cholesterol and BP or actually diabetic meds?

I would think high intensity/endurance training he would need something with sugar. I personally like the chews .
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Even people with diabetes will need carbohydrate if they're exercising at a moderate to high intensity for longer than an hour. I really like the book The Diabetic Athlete's Handbook by Sheri Coldberg. By testing his blood sugar before, during and after exercise and paying attention to the amount of carbohydrate he takes in, your husband will figure out what works best for him to keep blood sugars in a healthy range and also feel good during exercise. He can also get a referral to a registered dietitian who can give him specific recommendations. ~Lynn /Glucerna