Finding your Motivation

Options
I am trying to find what keeps me motivated but for the life of me I can't. I always end up loosing weight and then instantly putting it back on again. Its getting more frustrating each time and I don't know how to control it or keep myself excited when on this journey.

Replies

• Howell_
    Howell_ Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    im also struggling to find motivation to. i start losing weight but then get side tracked and have to start over again. i have restarted yet again as of yesterday and i really need to keep on track this time to! if you want you can add me :)
  • QueenOSpades
    QueenOSpades Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    It helps me if I set myself a goal and time period. But be realistic though, make it something you really want to do/have.
    You could also start a challenge on MFP in a group or something, a sort of pact to stay on track.
  • notreallychris
    notreallychris Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I lost 23lbs from Sept to December last year. Around the holidays I hurt my ankle, stopped tracking, and gained 16lbs. I just found my motivation the other day when my little number below my picture used to say "23lbs lost" to "7lbs lost". That was a wake up call for me. I always try to think of how I will look and feel once I get to my goal weight. I want to feel comfortable without a shirt off also, and not be ashamed. I hope you can find yours soon!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,222 MFP Moderator
    Options
    My start was just a decision to be honest with myself. I didn't really have motivation - I just wanted to know what I was eating - the good, the bad, the guy with a gun - whatever. I'm still not really motivated, even though I've lost 50 lbs. I have made a decision to be honest with myself, and somewhere along the way I made a decision to not go over my calorie allotment if I could help it (unless there was chocolate or beer).

My point is that you can DECIDE to be motivated. You CHOOSE to live a healthier life - if you need some sort of external motivation, FIND it. Someone's cookout that you want to look nice for. A wedding, Christmas, whatever. But the motivation is a choice. This should be a lifestyle change, and sometimes life doesn't hand you something to be motivated for. I have friends who find motivation in a smaller pair of jeans they want to fit into, or some event they want to look nice for. But those friends are choosing to be motivated by those things.

You guys can do this. I have faith in you. :)