P90X Newbie .. do I need all the equipment?

Options
So I've heard a lot about P90X, and finally got myself the set! I haven't been on this site in forever as far as logging in, but I use it all the time and recommend it to all my friends.. I figured it would be a good place to go to ask about the P90X workout..

It says you need a pull up bar and some other equipment.. I don't have one, do i have to get one to do the workouts? Or can you modify some of the exercises?

Thanks for any help you can offer!

Replies

• saldistefano
    Options
    If you wanted to really follow P90X you would need at least an exercise band so you could do Pull Downs instead. You would just lack the benefits of working those muscle groups. I do not know of another exercise to substitute in place of the pull ups. It's only needed during the exercises that work those muscle groups, you won't use them on most days.

Sal
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I recommend that you do. You would get the most out of the workout. At least get some bands. They are way cheaper than weights.
  • sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    I used the bands and dumbells, no pull up bar!(because I cant do a pullup) If you are starting out and not real strong, then it will be fine to start with bands...maybe work up to it and eventually use the bar. When I first started I had to modify alot, just keep doing it until you get stronger.
  • Spudnuts
    Options
    I'd definitely recommend it. I'm a 34 year old woman and I'm on my second month of my second round of P90X. I didn't use a pull-up bar my first round, even though I had one, because I didn't think I'd be able to do a pull-up. However, I decided that on my second round I wasn't going to mess around. I still use a chair to modify, but I won't always. I've improved more in strength in the last month than I did the previous three months not using the pull-up bar and it just gets easier every time. I'm able to do more pull-ups every week, I feel better than I ever have, and I look DAMN hot and I don't look like a weight lifter! P90X is the best! I'm utterly addicted! I recommend doing it full on and committing yourself 100%. Also, I recommend doing Classic instead of Lean. It's just better, in my opinion, even for a woman. And you can get a pull-up bar fairly cheaply.
  • sarah0426
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have weights and resistance bands, just not the pull-up bar.. I might order one but start the exercises without it.. I don't want to wait that long! I just wasn't sure if you had to have one or could do without. I'm in pretty good shape already, I'm very active, exercise a lot, and play sports and mountain bike all the time, so I just wanted to do P90X to get more muscular as opposed to trying to just lose weight.