Kinda weird...

slynn217
slynn217 Posts: 21
edited September 22 in Health and Weight Loss
So when I was searching for a good calorie counting app, I came across this one & "Daily Burn". I got both, but figured they'd be pretty much the same, but was surprised to find out I have 2 totally different "daily calorie intake" goals from the 2 apps. Daily Burn says I can have between 1738-1988 cals, & this app says I can only have 1240. I thought this was really weird...I put in all the same info & everything. So now I'm a little confused on which to use! Does My Fitness Pal's calorie goal work for you guys? Is it pretty accurate to lose weight? Is it enough calories for you? If I can get away with the higher calorie intake & still lose weight, I'm definitely all for it, but I don't understand why I get so many more calories with the Daily Burn tracker. Just doesn't add up between these 2, so I figured I'd get some feedback! Thanks for any help/suggestions you can give me! :)

Replies

• LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    In the beginning the calorie 'allowance' here seemed to be fine. I set it to lose 2 pounds a week and it allowed me about 1200 calories per day.
    Since I have gotten closer to my Goal Weight, I have noticed that if I stick to the 1200 calorie limit that MFP gives me I GAIN weight!!:noway: :noway: I use a higher calorie allowance--1800-2200 (i think!) --on another web site and I have reached my Goal Weight as of last Wednesday 10/6.
    You might experiment with your Calories and exercise for a few weeks and see what works for you.
    :flowerforyou: Good Luck!!
  • MsLisaB
    MsLisaB Posts: 256
    Hi there.

Out of curiosity I set up an account on Daily Burn (which I'll probably delete). I'm sure I selected the lose weight option but somehow or rather it decided I wanted to gain weight and set my calorie goal above my BMR. I went in and changed my goals and it now has about the same calorie goal as MFP (1200 for MFP and 1121 - 1371 for DB). Maybe this has happened to you too?

Personally, I like the way MFP is set up and the support people here are more than willing to give. It's definitely been working for me too. 4.5kg (10lb) lost so far :smile:
  • n3wm0m
    n3wm0m Posts: 1
    If you were to talk to a doctor they would give you a 1500-1800 calorie MINIMUM!! less than that and your body will be in "starvation" mode so anything you eat it will store as fat
  • BexC
    BexC Posts: 53
    If you were to talk to a doctor they would give you a 1500-1800 calorie MINIMUM!! less than that and your body will be in "starvation" mode so anything you eat it will store as fat

Sorry I disagree, my PCOS consultant, GP and a dietician all told me that "starvation mode" Comes from 1000 under. 1200 is the minimum recommended to function normally but still be able to dip in to fat stores
  • Thank you all for your replies! I'm sticking with Fitness Pal, just adding a couple hundred cals to my day :) -1500 cals instead of 1200
This discussion has been closed.