If you could buy any ONE home exercise machine...

Options
Alatariel75
Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
What would you get?

I'm going to spend what I might spend on a 12 month gym membership on a couple items for my garage. One I know I'm getting is a free standing punching bag, because it will be good for Taekwondo and I also love to box and kick just to get my heart rate up but I also want a cardio machine. Treadmill? elliptical? bike? rowing machine? other?

I do plan to start lifting, but right now, I cant walk up an escalator without losing my breath. I know cardio isn't the be all and end all, but fitness is a bloody good start, and I have none, lol.

Replies

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Rowing machine, either a concept 2 or a water rower. I have the latter.

A pretty thorough thrashing from using one of those either long duration moderate pace or an interval session.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I have an elliptical. It's easier on the joints than a treadmill, burns more calories easie (for me, anyway) and I like it better.

If I had the space, I'd get a nice set of weights, but since I don't have the space and I HATE doing cardio at the gym, I use the gym's weights and do cardio outside or on my elliptical.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    What about a pair of running shoes or a real bicycle so you can go outside and enjoy the fresh air while getting an adrenaline rush from doing some actual work, instead of sitting in some dark garage,maybe watching tv while senselessly spinning away or running on the spot?
  • CipherZero
    CipherZero Posts: 1,418 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't spend anything on any cardio machine until you've tried it out for a while. It's painful to spend money on fitness equipment you don't use because you despise what you do with it.

I'd seriously suggest buying a power cage, bar, weights and a bench off Craigslist. Cardio can be done outside, but there's no good analogue for lifting iron.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    If it had to be a machine then a recumbent exercise bicycle. I bought one about 15 years ago and still use it off and on (off and on being the literal sense when I do HIIT on it :laugh: ). At the moment, my goals are more focused on developing muscle plus I use my legs for tennis and dodgeball so tend not to use the bicycle.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I have an MMA-style heavy bag. It's nice to beat the hell out of that instead of the people it resembles.
  • AMHouse85
    AMHouse85 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    This is way more than what I need right now, but I I could buy ANY thing this would be it.

http://www.roguefitness.com/r6-power-rack.php?gclid=COPG36DO-70CFexcMgodKVoAJg

102rotl.jpg
  • aka_Kamalevantis
    Options
    I had an upright exercise bike, but I sold it in December (2013) to buy myself a rowing machine.... The rowing machine is too noisy for the bedroom (the only place exercise equipment can go in this house) because I like to exercise late at night or early hours of the morning when I can't sleep, so I'm looking to sell it and invest in a cross trainer (elliptical trainer) in the near future.... I do have kettlebells as well.

xXx
  • DoingitWell
    DoingitWell Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    What about a pair of running shoes or a real bicycle so you can go outside and enjoy the fresh air while getting an adrenaline rush from doing some actual work, instead of sitting in some dark garage,maybe watching tv while senselessly spinning away or running on the spot?

Wow how about outside exercise is not ideal for everyone. If being in a dark garage gets someone moving, then it's "actual" work. :wink:
  • vicksg1973
    Options
    Firstly let me say I'm really sorry that some people see fit to answer questions by patronising you and presenting their own preferences as 'the right way'.

Responding to the question you have asked, I have a small home gym with punch bag, free weights, rowing machine and cross trainer (I think they're called ellipticals in the US). I also go for runs outside, partly because I don't have space for a treadmill inside.

Of my items, I'd recommend the cross trainer. As someone else said, it's easier on your joints but you can still work up a right old sweat! Expending plenty of energy but not in an uncomfortable way. If you're starting on the road to fitness (and GOOD ON YOU by the way) then it's a good thing to have.

Have fun.
    xx
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    The "machine" that I love the most has nothing to do with cardio or strength. I love the stretch trainer. It has helped my back, hips, and left pain tremendously. No motor, just mechanical. Love it!

I do like the recumbent stationary bike. I do that everyday at the gym, too.

Otherwise, I just walk on the indoor track (you'd get dizzy doing that in the garage :laugh: ) or when the weather is nice outside. Either lunchtime, walking paths, or nature trails.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I wouldn't spend anything on any cardio machine until you've tried it out for a while. It's painful to spend money on fitness equipment you don't use because you despise what you do with it.

I do agree with this. I didn't buy my elliptical until I had been religiously exercising for a period of time and knew I would use it. A lot of people buy workout equipment and lose interest.

But if you know you'll use it, get it. Also, whatever youget TRY IT FIRST. Don't buy something you haven't physically gotten on and used. I have some knee issues and different ellipticals have different strides. Some were painful. Treadmills (if you go that route) might have fewer differences, though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options

No point derailing, or getting into a discussion, but can we assume that outside fresh air cardio is off the cards for a short term? It's a... thing. I'll get back there. But for now, let's stick with indoors (no TV, though ;))
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    What about a pair of running shoes or a real bicycle

fwiw rowing is pretty complementary to both running and cycling as it brings in the upper body and core strength that both of those benefit from but don't directly develop.

Given the option of rowing or weights, I'd opt for rowing every time as it works for my goals of improving running and cycling.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Power rack, bench, olympic weight set was my first purchase - and zero regrets.
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I really don't like machines, but if it had to be one it would be a rowing machine.

If I could only have one piece of equipment in my house, period, it would be a toss up between rings and my sandbag.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    A good set of free weights. . .

Anything else can be done just by moving about outside.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Power Rack
    Oly bar/300 lbs. of Oly plates
    Bench

With some frugal shopping, you can get these for around 500-700 bucks.
  • beleeLafter
    Options
    Definitely an elliptical or arc trainer........tends to keep my attention for longer periods of time :)
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i have a real bike (that i use on holiday) i've put it in a training stand (£70) and I use it in the sitting room

works great for me

but oh so many people have garges full of expensive equiment that they never use

so why not use what you have already? feet and maybe a bike (second hand from £60)?