When to increase calories?

Options
Currently I'm losing nearly a pound a week, eating about 1100-1200 cals plus exercise cals. My estimated maintenance calorie goal for 5'2", 120 lb, and lightly active is around 1650 cals (and the math works put for a 500 cal deficit for me, so it's probably accurate). In the opinion if the maintainers, should I gradually increase calories once I approach goal? When did you guys increase? 5 ouounds away? 10 pounds? or should I continue on the same weight loss plan until I get there?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    As you can see I am 1lb from goal...

I had my deficet set at 1600 for most of the time but I averaged 1700 that entire time (between weekends of birthdays, Jazz festivals, Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas) which lead to 3/4lb a week loss on average. But that being said my week day was 1600.

So I have in the last 5 lbs upped my weekday goal to 1700 which I do but I average 1800 due to weekends (yah spring)

On Monday after two weeks of weekdays at 1700 I will be upping my weekday calories to 1800...and I should hit goal either next Friday or the Friday after that...at which time I will up my calories by 100 every week until I hit my new maintenance of 2200...then I will settle down and do that for a month and see where it takes me...if I lose down to 150 I am good...gives me my 5lb cushion...but I wont allow myself to go much lower than that...I will also allow for my weight to go up to 157-158 but no further and if it hits 159 I will go into a deficet again..

fail to plan plan to fail.

basically for me I am eating at a deficet until I hit goal..then I will slowly work up to maintenance allowing for that 5lbs of leway...
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    I'm increasing my calories by 100 a week and watching what my weight does. So far I'm at 1800.
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Starting today I am focusing on 1200 calories and I'm doing good at counting everything on day one. Was it easy to find filling meals?
  • zbobbsemple
    zbobbsemple Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    If I can stay consistent with calorie counting I will remain at 1200 calories and increase to maintain as well. Hopefully, I will get use to the 1200 calories and that will be my routine. I have sweet and chip cravings that sabotage me.